Avocado... What to do with it?

Options

Replies

• penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Whoa - grew up eating an avocado a day...... don't much care for them cooked..... slice in half - grab a spoon a eensy bit of salt -mmmmm HEAVENLY greqat in salads - on toasts - tacos- chips - chili you name it
  • cocowest01
    Options
    Here's a link to an article I found on Pinterest:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Avocado-Snack-Ideas-21828074
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    OMG, avocado toast. I heard of this for the first time recently and damn near lost my mind with joy, as I am a huge avocado fan. Also good is to put it on lightly toasted bread with garlic cloves baked in. Sprinkle avocados with salt and pepper and eat (my preference is Lawry's garlic salt and freshly cracked black pepper). Ridiculously yummy.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I put it into Ceviche. Very healthy and if you moderate the avocado and tomato, very low cal and high protein.
  • nsemrau
    nsemrau Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My wife and I share an avocado a day with our omelettes. I sautee vegetables (bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, etc.) in a pan until they are soft, and then pour 1/2 cup of egg beaters over the veggies and pull them to the top before the egg hardens. I then mash half of an avocado with a fork, stir in some jalapeno salt for flavor, and spread it on one half of the omelette to let it warm up. I then fold the omelette onto the plate from the pan and top it with green onions (hot sauce to taste).

I usually eat a serving of beans with this, and it makes for a crazy filling, healthy breakfast under 500 cal.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Make a samich with it with 2 slices of toast and a little black pepper and salt, you could also add deli meat and cheese lettuce and tomato.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Use it to make a healthier alfredo sauce for pasta! No butter or cream...It's DELICIOUS!

Also, weird combo, avocado chunks mixed in with cottage cheese, my new favorite snack!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    OMG, avocado toast. I heard of this for the first time recently and damn near lost my mind with joy, as I am a huge avocado fan. Also good is to put it on lightly toasted bread with garlic cloves baked in. Sprinkle avocados with salt and pepper and eat (my preference is Lawry's garlic salt and freshly cracked black pepper). Ridiculously yummy.
    Oops! I meant to quote sjw654:
    You can put slices on a piece of toasted whole grain bread and drizzle some olive oil on it = delicious. I found the texture kind of revolting at first when I tried eating slices raw, but now I love them. I love their nutty flavor. You can add them to salads or sandwiches.
  • cocowest01
    Options
    truth. avocado is a great sub for mayo.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What to do with an avocado?

Slice it up and top a piece of steak or chicken with it.

Mix it up with some tuna and salsa and a diced tomato.

Dig in with a spoon.

Give it to me.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    SHOVE IT IN MY MOUTH.
  • esmesmomma
    esmesmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/08/florida-avocado-summer-wrap-less-fat.html

i love mine in wraps and smoothies with banana, almond milk and kale.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Wow, great idea about the egg! I am going to try this out!
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mash it up and spread on toast, sprinkle with sea salt, cracked black pepper, crushed red pepper (ETA: bump this up a notch by topping it with a fried egg!)

Mash it up and mix it with shredded chicken or tuna-- great on a sandwich, in a wrap, on top of a salad

Cube it and make a salad with corn, black beans, peppers, and a garlic-lime dressing
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I just made a spicy guacamole, and used that as a salad dressing on my red leaf and romaine lettuce salad. It was fantastic.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a serious avocado addiction. I eat them on my grilled cheese, in my tacos, on my sandwiches, mixed with cottage cheese & cucumber as a snack...in my wraps. It is such a great fruit!! mmmm yummy! the trick is putting it with something that it can soak up the flavour...it is more of a flavour enhancer I find.

*Edit*...also in my salads, dips and I am sure many more things too!
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My ultimate favourite thing to do is put avocado on toast… ohhh its amazing.
    For breakfast you can also spread it on a toasted pita bread/toast and put an egg on top.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    love it SO MANY WAYS!!

Made a spicy roasted bell pepper, tomato, carrot soup yesterday in the vitamixer -- added 1/2 of an avocado and it made it MEGA creamy and delicious!!!

Its also made into a pesto and over noodles or even over chicken. I love putting them in smoothies to bc you can't taste them (all though I love the taste) but it makes the smoothies rich and decadent!!