90lb in 14 weeks with pics (hopefully!)

Options

Replies

• ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    1. 1200 to 1450 calories per day on average. I do vary this so perhaps I eat more at weekends and less thurs and friday especially before weigh ins.

3. Exercise twice a day nearly every day, once session at least one hour and the second normally 40 mins. I burn 600 to 800 cals per day after subtraction of background calories. I rarely eat back my exercise calories. .

.... So you starved yourself? Yikes. I hate to rain on your parade but you're not losing your weight in a very healthy/sustainable way.

I don't get it. This is not a healthy nor sustainable way to lose weight. And we have like80-90% of the replies here giving kudos to starvation. DO the math. He's not netting more than 200 calories per day. Then you have all these people with join dates in the last month or so here looking to this road map to disaster as something good. SMH. I just dont' get it. This is why I became a troll.

:angry: :explode: :grumble:

you hit the nail on the head, brah.
    the ones propping this are noobs and/or doing the same unhealthy crap.

they'll all be back when they plateau or gain it back wondering what they did wrong.

Please OP read all this good advice, its fantastic that you've decided to change your life and lose weight and get healthy but if you are in it for the long haul the advice on MFP by many of the 'experienced' posters is invaluable. Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    well, for a while, its been a few seasons back, but I did watch the Biggest Loser

No, I dont condone the show, really, didn't agree with lots and lots of thier tactics

but there were a certain select group that got off their backsides and went to a gym, worked out strenously, ate normal healthy food, had their vitals monitored and in the end lost their weight

I also know many of those folks were in bad shape, ie, their health was in a dangerous way.......

Dont you think that had they not done something about their weight, it would have only continued to decline until a medical emergency, diabetes, kidney failure, or worse........death

what I am saying about the OP, is maybe he was near death, or had some type of medical emergency happen that forced him to give up his binge drinking, esp for a 330 lb, 50 year old man.........I wished he would have stated what his health was.....

again, I as well think he did it fast, but if hes healthy, dont you think we need to congratulate him, the way we would congratulate a smoker for quitting cold turkey, or an alcoholic that stops drinkiing completely................shheese, this man comes here and post all his accomplishments, and some need to be nasty..........how sad....

You think someone needs to be congratulated for only eating 2 bananas a day for months at a time????

Really????
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lloydrt said
    Congratulations on a great job..........although some seem to think it was like starving yourself, I think you did it for a good reason.......to save your life

if you were " binge drinking", and now you dont, only drink on a certain day, you have saved your health..........a man your age was probably facing high blood pressure, kidney failure due to high triglycerides, diabetes, etc.....When you turn 50, things change with your body......I am sure your doctor would have wanted you to lose weight to save your life by losing weight.....I am curious if you had blood work and test done at your drs office in regards to your yearly check ups?

I admire that you did it your way........Ihope you can keep it off though............I know you put yourself thru a rigorous regime, but maintaining is going to be the key

I lost over 60 lbs in 3 months, and have lost this last 40 in about one year...........so if I didnt , I was probaly going to have a heat attack, as I had high bloodpressure, sleep apnea and exercise induced asthma.........no I HAVE NO ILLNESSES, OR TAKE ANY MEDS.............

Sometimes you have to choose a different path from the norm.............My hats off to you.........

AND
    larenners said
    I think you did an excellent job and I don't think you should feel like you starved yourself just because a few posters think you did.
    People need to remember it's not their life and what somebody else does to get fit doesnt mean it's a cure all for everyone. Disagree with how he lost his weight, then make sure you don't do it the same way for yourself.

great work OP.

I am sooooo proud of you, not merely of your tremendous good looks now, but that you had the courage and wisdom to do what you needed to do to get the fat and flab off, and with your winner, no nonsense spirit/attitude I know you will keep it off forever.
    My only hope is that you will NOT, even for a 1/4 of a split second take heed to nor pay ANY attention to the naysayers, boo-hoo-ers, "pseudo experts", debbie downers and other haters with seemingly good intention. I hope that you know this (people poo-pooing, and booing and hissing your lifestyle of eating and drinking and living) is part of the battle of the bulge you must also
    conquer and if results are any indication of your letting these "experts" scold and or teach you" you've got this my brother. Again...I am so proud of you. You ROCK sir, period. WOOT!!!!!!! Not merely because I say so, but because your results and attitude say so...:flowerforyou: :drinker: :love: :glasses: :love: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I am sooooo proud of you, not merely of your tremendous good looks now, but that you had the courage and wisdom to do what you needed to do to get the fat and flab off, and with your winner, no nonsense spirit/attitude I know you will keep it off forever.
    My only hope is that you will NOT, even for a 1/4 of a split second take heed to nor pay ANY attention to the naysayers, boo-hoo-ers, "pseudo experts", debbie downers and other haters with seemingly good intention. I hope that you know this (people poo-pooing, and booing and hissing your lifestyle of eating and drinking and living) is part of the battle of the bulge you must also
    conquer and if results are any indication of your letting these "experts" scold and or teach you" you've got this my brother. Again...I am so proud of you. You ROCK sir, period. WOOT!!!!!!! Not merely because I say so, but because your results and attitude say so...:flowerforyou: :drinker: :love: :glasses: :love: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Haven't I seen you telling people that they need to eat more than 1200 calories because it'll stall their weight loss otherwise?

But here you are congratulating someone who eats 200 calories a day?

Maybe I'm thinking of another poster? I'm confused.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I like how there's someone in here calling people pseudo experts for letting the OP know that his methods are unhealthy. I don't recall anyone making any suggestions on what he should do, just that he should not be promoting unsafe, unsustainable methods.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    well, for a while, its been a few seasons back, but I did watch the Biggest Loser

No, I dont condone the show, really, didn't agree with lots and lots of thier tactics

but there were a certain select group that got off their backsides and went to a gym, worked out strenously, ate normal healthy food, had their vitals monitored and in the end lost their weight

I also know many of those folks were in bad shape, ie, their health was in a dangerous way.......

Dont you think that had they not done something about their weight, it would have only continued to decline until a medical emergency, diabetes, kidney failure, or worse........death

what I am saying about the OP, is maybe he was near death, or had some type of medical emergency happen that forced him to give up his binge drinking, esp for a 330 lb, 50 year old man.........I wished he would have stated what his health was.....

again, I as well think he did it fast, but if hes healthy, dont you think we need to congratulate him, the way we would congratulate a smoker for quitting cold turkey, or an alcoholic that stops drinkiing completely................shheese, this man comes here and post all his accomplishments, and some need to be nasty..........how sad....

You think someone needs to be congratulated for only eating 2 bananas a day for months at a time????

Really????

(Tongue in cheek) well, at least he would be getting the potassium necessary for healthy heart function.

OP has yet to reply and say he was being monitored by a physician during his weight loss.
    There are serious physical ramifications for under eating and malnutrition.
    Would like to hear from OP if/how he ate safely and nutritiously.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I like how there's someone in here calling people pseudo experts for letting the OP know that his methods are unhealthy. I don't recall anyone making any suggestions on what he should do, just that he should not be promoting unsafe, unsustainable methods.

You start
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back your calories you are netting 600 cals a day.

You want to promote others to do this? You're an adult, if you can't be responsible for your own life please don't try and inflict this harmful way of living on others.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Haven't I seen you telling people that they need to eat more than 1200 calories because it'll stall their weight loss otherwise?

But here you are congratulating someone who eats 200 calories a day?

Maybe I'm thinking of another poster? I'm confused.

NEVER...I'm not into the EM2WL crowd--I don't believe in it FOR MYSELF...but I would never be so, ummmm, proud (i.e. a know it all--and "expert") nor so narrow minded as to dare to even think that one size fits all and what's good for me (or maybe others as well) is good, right, best for someone else. I've always posted on here openly my total belief in judging myself and NOT others and that what is one person's treasure may well be someone else's trash. So long story short...no, I've never advocated eating more to weigh less. I myself personally eat 1200 cals or a bit lower daily myself. I'm from the old school of less is more in just about everything in life, especially eating and drinking.

Thank you for asking so politely and kindly though:flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I think we can christen the OP's guide "Roadmap to Malnutrition and Eating Disorders".

Seriously, dude - talk to a therapist and a doctor/dietician. Get yourself set on a healthier approach.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

NEVER...I'm not into EM2WL crowd--I don't believe in it FOR MYSELF...but I would never be so, ummmm, proud (i.e. a know it all--and "expert") nor so narrow minded as to dare to even think that one size fits all and what's good for me (or maybe others as well) is good, right, best for someone else. I've always posted on here openly my total belief in judging myself and NOT others and that what is one person's treasure may well be someone's trash. So long story short...no, I've never advocated eating more to weigh less. I myself personally eat 1200 cals or a bit lower daily myself.

Oh. Okay. I would jump on you harder, but you're not the person I thought you were. :laugh: That's at least something.

I hope you don't eat 200 a day though. That's bad.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

You start

Huh? Do you mean i started it by asking him what his plans were for maintenance?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

You start

Huh? Do you mean i started it by asking him what his plans were for maintenance?

No, making "suggestions on what he should do"
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

NEVER...I'm not into EM2WL crowd--I don't believe in it FOR MYSELF...but I would never be so, ummmm, proud (i.e. a know it all--and "expert") nor so narrow minded as to dare to even think that one size fits all and what's good for me (or maybe others as well) is good, right, best for someone else. I've always posted on here openly my total belief in judging myself and NOT others and that what is one person's treasure may well be someone's trash. So long story short...no, I've never advocated eating more to weigh less. I myself personally eat 1200 cals or a bit lower daily myself.

Oh. Okay. I would jump on you harder, but you're not the person I thought you were. :laugh: That's at least something.

I hope you don't eat 200 a day though. That's bad.

My food diary is opened. :wink:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    While that may be true, I am just suggesting that people shouldn't detract from the fact that he worked hard regardless of if it was the "right way" or the "wrong way". Everyone is different right :)

The problem is that this post will be read by many people who will not post. Many of those people will think that netting 400 calories a day (as a 6'1" male? Holy moly) is okay and a good way to go now. It just isn't.

There is a reason that this is in the MFP posting rules:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

OP: I know that it took effort to get where you are, please don't think that I don't. But, your long term health and fitness is what matters here, and those questioning your methods are doing it out of concern for not only your health, but also for the health of readers who may be influenced into entering into a VLCD and could potentially have damage from it show up later. Weight loss shouldn't be a "by any means necessary to lose it FAST FAST FAST!" endeavor. It's all about the long term and the big picture here.

yes
  • MB_Positif
    Options

You start

No, making "suggestions on what he should do"

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. These are my suggestions based on personal experience.

First, I think if hasn't already consulted with his doctor, he should absolutely have a physical done to ensure that his rapid weight loss has not had any ill effect on his body. In the event that it hasn't, great, if it has he should follow his doctor's advice and/or the advice of a nutritionist on what is necessary to reverse those effects.

Second, I think that should he decide to increase his calories on his own that he should take it slowly, adding a couple hundred calories per day for a week or so and then bumping up again. The best way I feel to do this is to add calories to things he is already eating. Add half an avocado to a sandwich or salad. Put a Tablespoon of peanut butter in his oatmeal. That way his calories will be boosted but he won't feel like he is eating too much.

Third, he should be doing more strength training. As people age they lose muscle mass regardless of activity level. As he is currently eating he is likely losing muscle mass as well as fat. In all honesty, at his current weight, he could probably stop cardio completely and do only strength training while eating at least twice as many calories and lose body fat and gain muscle mass which would in turn cause him to look even leaner than he does. I was able to go down 3 sizes by lifting and only lost 2 pounds during that 6 month period. At the end of that period is when I had to take a hiatus from exercise due to becoming extremely ill. I already shared the link to my thread in another post in this thread should anyone be interested in seeing that transformation.

Ultimately I am impressed that the OP looks as good as he does after losing weight as rapidly. It is likely that he was rather athletic in his younger years and managed to hold onto a significant portion of his muscle mass over the years. That said, had he chosen to lose his weight slower and lift more during the process he would probably be totally jacked right now with no loose skin. Just speaking from personal experience here and what I have seen in other success stories here on MFP.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, your methods, although unhealthy, in my opinion, did take a great deal of commitment and self-control, and I certainly respect that.

To anyone reading this thread and considering using a similar technique:

Please don't. This is not healthy. If you want to be healthy and lose weight, taking your time to change your lifestyle so you are able to enjoy your eventual good health, is the way to go. Additionally, extremely low caloric intake is not sustainable in the long term, so even if you experience the quick weight loss the OP described, you are setting yourself up to gain it back once you try to eat normally again.

Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise. If it takes 2 years, then that's how long it takes.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    OP, your methods, although unhealthy, in my opinion, did take a great deal of commitment and self-control, and I certainly respect that.

To anyone reading this thread and considering using a similar technique:

Please don't. This is not healthy. If you want to be healthy and lose weight, taking your time to change your lifestyle so you are able to enjoy your eventual good health, is the way to go. Additionally, extremely low caloric intake is not sustainable in the long term, so even if you experience the quick weight loss the OP described, you are setting yourself up to gain it back once you try to eat normally again.

Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise. If it takes 2 years, then that's how long it takes.

Please take note ^^^^

Also, in reading OP's profile, it states that he has gained and lost weight many many times through the years. I don't know that this is how those other losses (or gains) happened, but it wouldn't shock me. I've certainly done something similar as a teenager (netting around 400-600 cals a day, ED territory for sure), to a bad end. Metabolic slowdown, gaining it all back (and then some), and a thyroid condition worked its way into the mix.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Finished with dinner, here is a link in regards to heart problems that are related to eating a VLCD, including those that are morbidly obese and can allegedly "survive" on a VLCD.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/56/1/230S.full.pdf (this one is very long...pages 1 and 2 have most of the necessary information, especially the second column on page 2)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    losing 90# in 3.5 months is unhealthy---by not eating any of your exercise calories back, you're practically netting zero and almost starving yourself. please eat more...your body needs FUEL.

This times a million.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!