Thank goodness for fat shaming!

Options
12346»

Replies

• alysonland
    Options
    I totally agree with this- for some people I feel like it happens so steadily that they don’t even realize. That’s how it happened to me. Now, it wasn’t what anyone said to me that made me see the light but rather some pictures from an outing where I was looking like Tubs Mcghee. I think it’s fine to tell people they’re gaining weight, and honestly? All my best friends, hell even just good friends, know that I would want to be made aware.

I don’t really understand all of these comments saying that what your mum said was going too far. I suppose it’s because I grew up with foreign parents (living in US). I don’t know if you know but foreign parents keep that **** real. If you’re fat you will be let known by not only your parents but your aunts/ uncles as well. It’s not meant to be hurtful; it’s an observation of the truth- if you’re fat, you’re fat and for them its that simple.

I know it’s a generalization but I feel like a lot of American kids [read: not the product of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants] are too dang sensitive. I have a very tough skin and no matter what someone says to me I’m not very likely to get upset. However, I feel like a lot of my peers are always getting their feelings hurt over things that they should be able to brush off. But that’s a rant for another time…

Why get sad when someone calls you fat? Seriously- if it upsets you do something about it. If you love yourself the way you are and are happy then why even hold onto those comments and let yourself get worked up over it in any way?

OHYOUSILLYGIRL, u r so correct, people are very, very sensitive and it is to the point where even Doctors are afraid to tell their patients to eat less, eat healthier and lose weight.

OP, the love your Mother has for you is a blessing...sometimes a Mother will tell you what needs to be said. So sorry anyone doubts your Mom's right to know her child. Many of us miss Mom very much....your Mother is wonderful and she is obviously an important person in your life.
  • alysonland
    Options
    I totally agree with this- for some people I feel like it happens so steadily that they don’t even realize. That’s how it happened to me. Now, it wasn’t what anyone said to me that made me see the light but rather some pictures from an outing where I was looking like Tubs Mcghee. I think it’s fine to tell people they’re gaining weight, and honestly? All my best friends, hell even just good friends, know that I would want to be made aware.

I don’t really understand all of these comments saying that what your mum said was going too far. I suppose it’s because I grew up with foreign parents (living in US). I don’t know if you know but foreign parents keep that **** real. If you’re fat you will be let known by not only your parents but your aunts/ uncles as well. It’s not meant to be hurtful; it’s an observation of the truth- if you’re fat, you’re fat and for them its that simple.

I know it’s a generalization but I feel like a lot of American kids [read: not the product of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants] are too dang sensitive. I have a very tough skin and no matter what someone says to me I’m not very likely to get upset. However, I feel like a lot of my peers are always getting their feelings hurt over things that they should be able to brush off. But that’s a rant for another time…

Why get sad when someone calls you fat? Seriously- if it upsets you do something about it. If you love yourself the way you are and are happy then why even hold onto those comments and let yourself get worked up over it in any way?

OHYOUSILLYGIRL, u r so correct, people are very, very sensitive and it is to the point where even Doctors are afraid to tell their patients to eat less, eat healthier and lose weight.

OP, the love your Mother has for you is a blessing...sometimes a Mother will tell you what needs to be said. So sorry anyone doubts your Mom's right to know her child. Many of us miss Mom very much....your Mother is wonderful and she is obviously an important person in your life.

Yes, my mother is a blessing. And here's an update everyone: (Swear to God this is true) I saw my Mom today after not seeing her for a few months and she said "Whatever you doing keep it up! You're looking fantastic." :blushing:
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Aww i def can relate...my mother in law said that i didnt look as good and asked if she could hook me up with her diet doctor...she had comments about my hair..the way i dressed...EVERYTHING..i was devastated and thought HOW DARE HER!!..i had just had a baby 3 months before...how RUDE of her...she said that i seemed unhappy and depressed and it has to be because im overweight... honestly i never took at look at my body or really became aware of my weight until she said something....yeah...after that i took a good look at how fat i truly was...yep i was disgusted...i cried and cried and then i got my butt in gear...i lost a ton of weight and then i got pregnant with my second and here i am losing prego weight again lol....but this time is diff...i have more drive an motivation...plus i keep replaying what she said in my head to this day...yep dont wanna ever look like i did again!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yeah in the past a really really close friend said something to me while getting dressed for a party and borrowing each other's clothes. I think it depends on who does it. In her case it was a point well taken. She was just straightforward and blunt and said, "You know you have been putting on weight lately and you better get a handle on it before it gets out of hand." It was true and she probably saved me from putting on 30 more mindless pounds and whatever extra time that would have added to my weight loss efforts at the time. It was appreciated, not at the moment but later when I examined my mirror image naked and alone. At the moment, I just said, really? And she goes. "Yeah". Simple to the point, non-drama.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 (and MAYBE 15-20 lbs overweight) my Grandma told me that if I didn't lose weight no one would ever love me. Sometimes people should shut their mouths. After that I didn't care about myself at all, and still fight the urge to believe what she said.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but self-hatred and a constant internal monologue of shame and negativity is the only thing that actually produces results.

If I was happy with myself, I would have absolutely no motivation or reason to fix what isn't perceived to be broken.

Not always true.I know an obese woman who claims to be happy with herself, but her constant picking on and judging of others (myself included), tells me that deep down inside, she really isn't happy with HERSELF, and she's projecting it towards others as a way to keep from dealing with her weight problem. She hasn't made the connection between self loathing, judging others, and desiring to change her habits, lose weight and become healthier. For her, it's easier to continue down the oblivious path she is on, pretending to be happy, while pointing out others' faults and flaws.