Feeling guilty about my "guilt free eating day"

Options

Replies

• mikniknar
    mikniknar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think knowing that you can still enjoy one of the unhealthy foods you love at some point each week which will make the fact that were on a diet less of a punishment or a chore and more about living a new, healthy lifestyle that can still be fun. Getting depressed or lacking motivation to stick to a healthy diet and exercise plan can cause us to stray on our healthy lifestyle regimen. I think even having one guilty pleasure, whether it be a dessert or main course, Is what is ok once in awhile. Even just taking one week off of your diet and exercise routine can undo a month's worth of work to lose weight and build endurance in your body. Rewarding our self and not being so hard on yourself can help give you the focus and determination you need to succeed during the rest of the week. :) I am sure I will be reminding my self of this several times :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    A sample size of 1 is not scientific data.

In your opinion. Should we all switch to your way?

No, it is not opinion. It is fact that a sample size of one does not constitute "data." It is anecdotal experience, even if it happens to be working for you personally. That's all.

It's the only data that matters to me and my long term health goals. I really don't care what you think about my approach. I get pissed off when you judge it.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'd rather find healthy ways to eat out and not sabotage a week's worth of effort with one bad day...I literally could. I'd rather get a few little treats through the week of a bite here and there and pace myself. Even at Olive Garden, I stayed under with good choices (ministrone, just of bite of a breadstick, salmon and veggies, and part of a salad). It was still a treat, I was comfortably full. I eat out at McDonalds at least twice a week for breakfast and usually one other meal. Just takes finding things I can enjoy without the guilt. But, whatever works for you...do it with joy!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty.. you didn't murder anyone. I think getting guilt feelings over food is one of the most important things we have to rid ourselves of. I used to have a "cheat" day but that goes along with the idea of doing something bad (cheating is bad). I decided to start eating healthy consistently and if a special occassion comes up that involves food, then I am just going to enjoy whatever is offered. Instead of looking for an excuse to eat more or sugary treats, make it truly special on special days.
  • MamaTop
    MamaTop Posts: 24
    Options
    Maybe I will just eat the can of worms I opened here..

Today was a good day .. right back on track! And rather then guilty I should feel blessed to have lost 10 pounds so far and that I was able to enjoy a nice dinner with my husband, without our kids .. and no dishes afterwards ...

Thanks for all the input though!
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A sample size of 1 is not scientific data.

In your opinion. Should we all switch to your way?

No, it is not opinion. It is fact that a sample size of one does not constitute "data." It is anecdotal experience, even if it happens to be working for you personally. That's all.

It's the only data that MATTERS TO ME AND MY LONG TERM HEALTH GOALS. I really don't care what you think about my approach. I get pissed off when you judge it.

Then don't try to apply it to others like you did.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty. Feel empowered. Feel happy. It will not set you back in the long run. But it is only effective if that one day of indulgence results in a worry free week of compliance. If it makes you feel so guilty you get the "screw it's" the rest of the week, it may be detrimentl rather than effective.

I have been doing a cheat day ever since I started dieting. Epic 5,000 calorie events eating anything I wanted in any quantity. Had one yesterday. Had 10 chocalate chip cookies, 4 bowls of fruit loops and 4 cups of milk. For breakfast. All things I would never eat during the week. And boy, did I feel aweful. Not mentally, but physically. Recovered b the evening and added a Dairy Queen Bilizzard and 3 Holtmans donuts to finish the day. 4,800 cal total. After all that, I won't have any desire to cheat until next Saturday. That's the key. I always know I have next Saturday if I crave something during the week. And that keeps me on track and happy.

So, go forth and cheat but only if it works for you. It is not for everyone. But if it doesn't nuke you mentally, rest assured it will not hurt your progress.

I hate to sound like Judgy McJudger, but this sounds like binge eating to me. I couldn't eat this much if I tried. WOW.

You're a female and probably weigh substantially less than he does. Also, probably have substantially less muscle mass than he does, no clue about activity level but most likely he burns more calories than you each day. My last boyfriend ate anywhere from 3000-5000 calories a day, was about 10% body fat and worked out a lot. I know guys that are pretty cut and have 5000-10000cal days. Slows down progress, of course... ruins all their hard work, not even close. And not a single one of them goes... OMG I HAD A CHEAT MEAL. And none of them suffer from eating disorders.

I don't think binge eating is gender-specific. All that food in one day would be bad for anyone. And, while I've never binged, I would venture to guess that some woman, somewhere, has eaten that much in one day, regardless of her size. I think that's also something that bulimics do right before a purge. I can't testify personally, however.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty. Feel empowered. Feel happy. It will not set you back in the long run. But it is only effective if that one day of indulgence results in a worry free week of compliance. If it makes you feel so guilty you get the "screw it's" the rest of the week, it may be detrimentl rather than effective.

I have been doing a cheat day ever since I started dieting. Epic 5,000 calorie events eating anything I wanted in any quantity. Had one yesterday. Had 10 chocalate chip cookies, 4 bowls of fruit loops and 4 cups of milk. For breakfast. All things I would never eat during the week. And boy, did I feel aweful. Not mentally, but physically. Recovered b the evening and added a Dairy Queen Bilizzard and 3 Holtmans donuts to finish the day. 4,800 cal total. After all that, I won't have any desire to cheat until next Saturday. That's the key. I always know I have next Saturday if I crave something during the week. And that keeps me on track and happy.

So, go forth and cheat but only if it works for you. It is not for everyone. But if it doesn't nuke you mentally, rest assured it will not hurt your progress.

I hate to sound like Judgy McJudger, but this sounds like binge eating to me. I couldn't eat this much if I tried. WOW.

You're a female and probably weigh substantially less than he does. Also, probably have substantially less muscle mass than he does, no clue about activity level but most likely he burns more calories than you each day. My last boyfriend ate anywhere from 3000-5000 calories a day, was about 10% body fat and worked out a lot. I know guys that are pretty cut and have 5000-10000cal days. Slows down progress, of course... ruins all their hard work, not even close. And not a single one of them goes... OMG I HAD A CHEAT MEAL. And none of them suffer from eating disorders.

I don't think binge eating is gender-specific. All that food in one day would be bad for anyone. And, while I've never binged, I would venture to guess that some woman, somewhere, has eaten that much in one day, regardless of her size. I think that's also something that bulimics do right before a purge. I can't testify personally, however.

I easily ate 4k cals a day to get fat Very easy when you eat mcdonalds for breakfast, taco bell for lunch and KFC for dinner.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I easily ate 4k cals a day to get fat Very easy when you eat mcdonalds for breakfast, taco bell for lunch and KFC for dinner.

Well, girlfriend, you KNOW I'm here for you. M'wah!

:flowerforyou:
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

BINGO!

I had a 1500 calorie dinner the other night alone. Steak, chips and cheese tortellini, which seems like a lot to me now. Before I started all of this, I could take down 5-6 slices of pizza... A whole steak and cheese sub, fries... In one night, in one SITTING. Not to mention the 700 calorie breakfast I'd have at Dunkin Donuts that same morning, and the snacking I'd do all day on chips and unhealthy foods. I used to average at least 4,000 a day. I agree. Not gender specific.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Breakfast McDonalds: Steak egg & cheese bagel,hashbrown and a large Coke 1,140 calories

Lunch Taco Bell: Steak Enchirito, Nachoes Bell Grande, Large Dr Pepper and an Empanada 1,910 calories

Dinner KFC 10 Chicken wings, Honey BBQ dipping sauce, Potato wedges, Pepsi 1,410 calories

Total=4,460 calories This is if I did not grab a candy bar or bag of chips between meals. Although it is not binging You do not have to binge to eat a ridiculous amount of calories. I thought I was eating a acceptable amount of food. It wasnt the amount I was eating it was the caloric quality. Very sad most ppl arent aware of this I know I wasn't, well atleast I didnt realize just how high in calories I was easily consuming on a daily basis.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Breakfast McDonalds: Steak egg & cheese bagel,hashbrown and a large Coke 1,140 calories

Lunch Taco Bell: Steak Enchirito, Nachoes Bell Grande, Large Dr Pepper and an Empanada 1,910 calories

Dinner KFC 10 Chicken wings, Honey BBQ dipping sauce, Potato wedges, Pepsi 1,410 calories

Total=4,460 calories This is if I did not grab a candy bar or bag of chips between meals. Although it is not binging You do not have to binge to eat a ridiculous amount of calories. I thought I was eating a acceptable amount of food. It wasnt the amount I was eating it was the caloric quality. Very sad most ppl arent aware of this I know I wasn't, well atleast I didnt realize just how high in calories I was easily consuming on a daily basis.

I've been there, sister. I had a frozen strawberry margarita this weekend, and after finding out it was 720 calories, I have decided NOT to do that again. I have no desire to consume that many calories in ONE food item. I was shocked!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I never said it was gender specific. You do realize that nearly ALL eating disorders are really about control right? As a person who has had anorexia, BED and bulimia, I am very aware of what they are and what they are about.

"All that food in one day would be bad for anyone."

You do realize his TDEE is much higher than yours right? "All that food" is relative to each person. He probably burns 2500-3000 cals in one day. Is there guilt for eating that much? Doesn't sound like it. Is he continuing the same habit the following day? Nope, looks like just once a week. Is he following up a "BINGE" (ha) with compensatory behaviors such as laxatives, excessive exercise, purging? Nope, doesn't sound like he is. I think his relationship with food is just fine. I still think the cheat meal idea is a little off, but it keeps him sane and the general trend has been weightloss, no matter how slow.

You can take your judgy pants off now. :drinker:
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

I never said it was gender specific. You do realize that nearly ALL eating disorders are really about control right? As a person who has had anorexia, BED and bulimia, I am very aware of what they are and what they are about.

You do realize his TDEE is much higher than yours right? "All that food" is relative to each person. He probably burns 2500-3000 cals in one day. Is there guilt for eating that much? Doesn't sound like it. Is he continuing the same habit the following day? Nope, looks like just once a week. Is he following up a "BINGE" (ha) with compensatory behaviors such as laxatives, excessive exercise, purging? Nope, doesn't sound like he is. I think his relationship with food is just fine. I still think the cheat meal idea is a little off, but it keeps him sane and the general trend has been weightloss, no matter how slow.

Agreed 4800 calories is not much of a cheat day for a person at my weight. My cheat days include a whole pizza which is 1500 calories + as well as other meals i normally finish a cheat day around 4800 easy. Thats not binge eating. Thats sanity check to keep my diet and my mind safe. I get right back to my diet on monday and continue. I dont eat the pizza because I have to. I eat the pizza as a reward for dominating each week over and over and hitting my macros on the head 6 out of 7 days a week
  • jackie_142
    Options
    I totally know you feel. I had the exact same thing over this weekend. I didn't plan to use the whole day, I just knew we were going to go out for a Saturday lunch. After lunch, I felt fine but then my hubby kept tempting me and I finally gave in. I'm so annoyed with myself. He apologized and said that he felt bad for tempting me when I was doing so well, but I don't blame him. I blame me. Ah well, I'm going to do awesome this week. :)

I think Cheat meals are so that if you are craving something you can satisfy it without having to feel the guilt. haha...
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had an impromptu "cheat day" yesterday, and I feel kind of guilty about it, too. But, realistically speaking, if you feel like you can never splurge and eat the foods you truly want, you may have a hard time sticking to healthy eating overall. I know I would! I like the idea of not just setting a day each week to eat whatever you want, but acknowledging that on special occasions, it's okay not to be so strict.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat really well during the week and tend to eat randomness on the weekends especially if we are busy and even if we sit at home I'm like, "i don't want to cook, frozen pizza is for dinner" and I am HORRIBLE at logging on the weekends. Saturday i had a good yummy breakfast scrambled eggs with spinach, toast with i can't believe it's not butter and a small glass of 2% milk. However, later that day we went to a friends birthday party and i ate some fruit but mainly hot dogs, sausage and chips and dip. Luckily there wasn't many sweets just a piece of cake at the end of the night after our party grilled cheeses! :smile: and by the time i got home i was to tired to log everything even if i could remember it all lol so i just said screw it. BUT I woke up yesterday and ate well and worked out! so i feel it cancelled out my bad day since i did workout yesterday (i never workout on the weekends)

cheat days are okay, but if it bums you out don't do it. It's all personal preference.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

I think you are missing the point of the OP and the guy commenting above. It does seem like binging and all that crap he ate had barely any nutritional value if any. For you to be an ED person and make a comment like you think his above mentioned day of shoveling crap down his throat is just fine is kind of weird. It clearly says he physically felt horrible after doing this. How can you condone this behavior and write if off as no big deal or use his TDEE as an excuse? Just because you dont purge after binging doesnt make it any less of an ED. I do not condemn nor condone cheat days but I also refuse to write if off as no big deal after someone says how terrible it made them feel and not just mentally. WTF are you doing to your body to have that severe of an reaction? THATS HORRIBLE!!!!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Gluten makes me feel like ****... sometimes I still eat it. I eat too much at Thanksgiving and every other holiday and it hurts me physically. So does about 90% of the population. I don't feel guilty about enjoying holidays even if I do go into a food coma. I don't feel guilty about consuming gluten either.

This man has a holiday once a week... good for him. Is it the most optimal weightloss habit... nope. But it WORKS FOR HIM. Mentally and physically. If his macros are dead on and he's at a decent deficit for the rest of the week, it doesn't matter. Its about sustainability... and it seems like this has been sustainable for him. If he was female 1200 calorie-er who was then having these 5000 cal events, I'd probably be a little more concerned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is likely that 1000 calories over will not put you over your maintence amount for the week since you are eating at a deficit. Forgive yourself and move on.

We are all trying to eat like regular people and achieve and stay fit, right? Every thin and fit person I know splurges on food from time to time. It is normal and natural and part of learning to function for the rest of our lives as far as food goes.

As an aside, I do not have "cheat days" or "cheat meals" because there is really no need. Eat sensibly, the foods you love, in moderation, and you will be fine.

I was about to say pretty much this^^^^