Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say I would be okay with it IF (HUGE IF)... the school approved of it, program was modified a bit for their age range ( I think the work out should be reduced and not everyday to allow their muscles time to adjust), the PE Teacher was approved to actually teach it and was taught what signs to look for when the students need to stop.

I agree that it would be better for kids to do something engaging however this is not your run of the mill workout. Grown adults who have worked out for years have a difficult time with this. If it were my kiddo I would tell him to try it but if something doesn't feel right to stop (simple as that).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I wonder if those whom said the PE teacher was lazy would feel this way if he/she were preforming the dvd with the children?

I must say i kinda LOL at those who think the children are frail and too small to exercise. I started lifting weights with my dad at 10… These kids can have babies, join the military and play sports with the ability to get them in on college scholarships or professional sports.
    Yes, I would still call the teacher lazy. Develop a program, don't copy someone elses.
    So a hitting coach that follows - for example - Walt Hriniak's program for teaching a proper approach at the plate is being "lazy?" Or is it just gym teachers who use techniques that have already shown success that get that label?
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My 15 yo daughter did it for 8 weeks last summer for basketball conditioning, on top of weight lifting 4 days a week for softball. She loved it. She got really strong and toned.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my daughter was doing these in the 4th and 5th grade. She was proud.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Dear lord. Some people are way over reacting.

An Insanity DVD is no more or less dangerous than climbing a high rope, tackling in flag football (which happened ALL THE TIME) or getting a dodge ball repeatedly beamed at your head.

good then let's do those. except the dodgeball at the head. actually though depending on the heat, the school, and the child's health state or hydration even an innocuous DVD could be dangerous. Ever heard of heat stroke?
  • nekoxvampyx
    nekoxvampyx Posts: 163
    Options
    I'd say its a good thing. it'll get kids tired and maybe they'll listen to adults for once.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.

From what I have seen most PE teachers are not qualified to put a workout program together. Their qualifications have to do with how to do various sports.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    As someone that does the Insanity program (and P90X before), I think this PE teacher rocks. Get the lazy kids off their *kitten* and moving!!

And yes, I have kids.

Frankly, if you saw the workouts the kids need to do in high school level sports, Insanity is a piece of cake.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

An Insanity DVD is no more or less dangerous than climbing a high rope, tackling in flag football (which happened ALL THE TIME) or getting a dodge ball repeatedly beamed at your head.

good then let's do those. except the dodgeball at the head. actually though depending on the heat, the school, and the child's health state or hydration even an innocuous DVD could be dangerous. Ever heard of heat stroke?

Wait...what? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think doing an Insanity DVD in an air conditioned building is better than playing flag football outside in high temps. You are way over the top with that comment.

But, hey, let's live in your world. We can raise really fat kids who don't go outside because it's too hot, too cold, to damp and....god forbid...the bees!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    My son is in High school and yes he has mentioned that they do some workouts out of P90x I think that is great. Alot of kids are out of shape and I think this is great. He also stated they dont do it every day so its not like they are following a very vigorous regimen or anything after all they are kids. I dont think there is nothing bad or lazy about it.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with my kids doing it. As long as it was in an air conditioned gym, they had plenty of fluids and someone who was trained to watch them and make sure they couldn't injure themselves by doing wrong moves.

My 15yr old step son broke his collar bone 2 weeks ago playing football at school. Accidents will happen. I'd say Insanity is safer than most contact type sports which kids do at school. And you don't need parents permission for them to take part in those (at least not here in the UK in my kids schools).
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

Why do you believe their muscles aren't developed enough? Do you have kids? Children are pretty sturdy, active, agile beings! Have you never seen kids participating in competitive sports? What a bizarre response....:huh:

Right! I was powerlifting in High School. I didn't break.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The kids should be doing something where if they did it all out, they would not get sick, but get a feeling of accomplishment.

Like what? If you do anything all out you'll get sick. I've felt sick after running 400m before. I've seen numerous pro footballers be sick on the pitch towards the end of matches.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Complaining about Calisthenics in school P.E. <-- Really ?

granted it's a challenging interval workout, but it's only Calisthenics with a fancy name.

Before the flames start I've done 3 rounds myself and still use a random vid from time to time.

[Edit] to add that my 9 yo just started the Mens Fitness spartan workout <-- It was his idea :)
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    All of my DVDs say "not all exercise programs are fit for everybody", and INSANITY is one of the hardest ones out there. Personally I think coach should have made his own workout regime for them instead of using the real insanity workout. Kids are tough (most of them) and he could have formed something better suited for school. If they are gonna do insanity, it should be done at home.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh nooz, kids sweating! OMG! What is the world coming to?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Shaun T. does tell you to go at your own pace and take a break when needed.

I think this is what teenagers need. They will get in shape and maybe be too tired to do things they shouldn't.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

What should they be doing? Wrapping each other up in cotton wool (in an air conditioned environment obvs) or walking slowly in a padded room?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's next though, because "at least it's better than doing nothing" and also because we "signed a permission slip at the beginning of the year"? What? (Glad some people chimed in this is sometimes false). Pole dancing will follow. Anything goes, our kids are obese we gotta bring it to their level and spoon feed them and make it fun and easy to shell out for the staff. Woo hoo.

Insanity leads to pole dancing just like fly fishing leads to genocide.

I learned analogies in my English->ritualistic slaughter of 18th century French literature professors teaching at universities with a C in the name.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

This was exactly my thought too. :)

We had a 30 foot rope with a wrestling mat underneath it to "save" us. :) In elementary school.

It's interesting how delicate and yet dedicated people think kids are. When kids get tired they stop.