Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The teacher was wrong not to inform the parents about the program!!

My kid is very fit but the others are not!!!

Are any of you doing Insanity?

At the begining of the year, you sign permision slips for the children when they go into PE. You also are asked to APPROVE your child's schedule. Sorry, but I don't think "The teacher was wrong" because you knew that they were going to do something physically active in the class.

So far I get OP. He did not say his kid whined. Here he is saying it's too much for some kids and he's clearly asking who has done it. I too wonder if all the people chiming in here have all done the workout. As for the permission slips at the beginning of the year. Those are not an open door for teachers to do whatever they want in the universe with the kids. When a parent signs that they most likely do so with the reasonable expectation that PE activities will resemble something like what they had when they were kids. For that permission slip to be leaned on like this to just do whatever the heck doesn't seem right. I hear those saying "it's better than nothing" our kids are in an obesity epidemic, but really is "better than nothing" the standard we want for our kids. It starts with the teachers. Teach lazy, get lazy.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in grade 9 and they do P90X workouts. They also spin, zumba, weight lift and do yoga...

These things all sound much more awesome than my gym classes, which were limited to running and playing ball-oriented sports that someone who is not extremely coordinated like myself always sucked at.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    The teacher isn't putting on the dvd and leaving the room are they? Unless they are I don't see the difference between "doing insanity" and the teacher making up a similar programme themselves. We used to do circuit training at school. I assume insanity is pretty similar to that.

I hated all of PE of course, because it was just a good chance for all the bullies who hated you to take a shot at you, steal your clothes, call you out for wearing cheap trainers, call you fat, not pick you for their team etc, etc...

who knows nowadays. we can't take anything for granted anymore.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

Here is a person who has actually done the workout in question, AND has done marketed workouts in school weighing in AND has a teen sister. Most germane opinion if I ever saw one.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I like the idea actually
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Apart from anything else.....a PE teacher that isn't teaching PE but relying on dvds? Pfft, what is the point of that, might as well get anyone to pop a dvd on for them.

Ridiculous
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....sounds like the gym teacher is being lazy by popping in a DVD rather than instructing the kids on something him/herself.

I agree. Football, for example, was created by someone else and so he can't introduce that sport. Basketball, by James Naismith, so he can't introduce that sport either.

Baseball? Softball? Hockey? Volleyball? Wait, what about Karate? Ooops....NOPE! He can't introduce those games either.

What do you suggest the teacher "CREATE" that he should do in PE? If you mention anything, then he didn't create it.

This is the dumbest thread on the board right now....WOWWW!

Thanks for putting words in my mouth dude. I never ONCE said that the gym teacher needs to "create" a sport or game to show the kids. Insanity is not a game....the kids are never going to become professional "Insanity Players." If you could sit on your *kitten* and put in a DVD everyday for class and still call yourself a "teacher"...I'm sure that's a lot easier than actually teaching something. I'm not hating on Insanity...I've done it several times. If you have too, then you know that it is pretty intense, and that there are certain moves that can be pretty stressful on the body, and if not done properly, could cause serious injury. AND that is says you should consult your physician before participating in any of the workouts. And as the OP said....the parents of these kids were not asked permission, therefore, it's safe to assume that their physicians weren't consulted first. So either way you look at it, the gym teacher ****** up.

Do I think there's anything wrong with a high schooler attempting Insanity? Not necessarily, under the right circumstances, it could be beneficial. I think it's a case-by-case basis and not something that should be thrown at a random group of kids.
    So then, when ever they do something physical they need to get a complete physical? So that first week when they lift weights they need to consult a doctor? When they do the kick ball game they need to talk to a doctor? Then when they do something that is self paced they need to talk to a doctor? I doubt that, seriously. The teacher did nothing wrong. The PARENTS GIVE PERMISSION WHEN THEY SEE THE SCHEDULE AND WHEN THEY SIGN THE PERMISSION SLIP GRANTING THEM PERMISSION TO BE IN THE PE CLASS. Because the teacher decides to show a broad spectrum of fitness options available you fire at them? Really?

**Edited because of the quoted foul language.

Once again, putting words in my mouth.
    No, they do not need to get a physical before every single thing they do in gym class.

I'm sure that when they're weight lifting, or playing an actual sport, they are being INSTRUCTED, by their gym teacher, about proper form and safety.

Have you ever done an Insanity workout? They're SUPER fast paced, when I've done them in the past, I barely have any time to look at the screen in between moves.

Maybe a better approach would be for the gym teacher to take certain exercises from Insanity, and teach them to the kids, taking the time to show proper form and safety. Rather than popping in a DVD which is pretty much nonstop movement, with not a lot of emphasis on safe form. Hopefully this is the route the teacher went, but if he/she simply turned on the TV and played the DVD....that is both lazy and dangerous.

I took that because of this:
    And as the OP said....the parents of these kids were not asked permission, therefore, it's safe to assume that their physicians weren't consulted first.

And yes I have done Insanity, and IT IS SELF PACED. If you pushed yourself to the wall then that is you. But, it is a SELF PACED DVD set. Also, what makes you ASSUME that the teacher is not watching over the kids as they are doing the workout? As another poster has posted, everything in Insanity you have done in one form or another by grade 9. In 3rd grade I was learning push ups, pull ups, sit ups, etc... In 8th grade the boys who wanted to try out for football that summer were learning about burpees and plyo moves.
    Also, what makes you ASSUME that the teacher is not watching over the kids as they are doing the workout?
    Are you gonna keep quoting my *kitten* without reading all of it first? I didn't assume, I said, " Hopefully this is the route the teacher went, but if he/she simply turned on the TV and played the DVD....that is both lazy and dangerous."

Insanity is a fun, fast paced workout program. I enjoyed it when I did it. Is it for everyone? No. Can anyone do it? Most people probably can, especially with the option to modify certain moves. In MY opinion, a workout DVD isn't the best option for a high school gym class. Take the kids outside and away from the tv, let them play a game that will teach sportsmanship and teamwork. That is what gym class should be about in MY opinion. You don't have to use any equipment in Insanity, which means no one has to wait their turn and everyone is doing it simultaneously....I'm sure it's a LOT harder for a gym teacher to supervise an entire class who is all doing the same thing at the same time, than it would be for him/her to supervise students in the weight room, or outside playing a sport.

I have my opinion, you have yours. We don't agree. End of story.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have done insanity(first month), my kids are in football and sheer, niether are in high school yet and their 3 weeks of conditioning before they start actual practicing is alot more intense than insanity, I see nothnig wrong with the kids doing insanity.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    What part of the program do you disagree with?

How about stop being lazy, and putting in a DVD and actually use your education/training and develop a plan for the children. That's fine if you want to incorporate some of the exercises but anyone can come in and put on a DVD for the kids.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Honestly, I would probably prefer this to team sports. I was always picked last.

Most humiliating gym class in my life is when we played wiffleball inside. There was no 3 strike rule, you swung until you HIT the ball. I missed the first three and all the guys in my class started yelling and complaining that they had to wait until I hit it. It wasn't that I am not good, but I got panicked, and the anxiety of everyone yelling and just humiliating me made me miss more and more.... I think I finally hit it after 12 swings. The teacher was a little old lady, and she didn't say a word while 20 guys yelled and screamed at me.

I was sometimes picked last too, who cares? That's part of the learning curve and a healthier outlet for rivalry than the current bullying kids have turned to in the sterilized settings they've been given. I'm so glad in this long sad story you remembered to mention that you "finally hit it after 12 swings". That's GREAT! Sorry you felt yelled at and "anxiety" but I had lots of humiliating, anxiety ridden moments while growing up, in school and out, that can't be the excuse for ditching regular PE stuff in favor of classes where it's every man for himself. Further is it possible that little old lady was watchfully monitoring the kids and letting them motivate you to keep going and just suck it up, during what you felt as panic? I think when you "finally" hit it, you got something out of that experience. Something positive. The fact that you remember it years later and described it as "finally" points to that. Kids need to learn collaboration, and trust, and tolerance and integrity, and these are better taught in a sports environment where peer to peer interaction must happen in my opinion by teachers with a backbone and with integrity. (bad coaches notwithstanding, i still think they are the exception to the rule, and all the my bad sports stories, will not negate this, except to make me feel appalled at that one particular circumstance).
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    In high school, there was an Aerobics class that was different than normal gym. We did the MTV workouts, walking videos, Pilates, Tae-Bo, (P90X wasn't around then) and all other sorts of programs that were "Recommended For Adults".

Problem? There isn't one. Now, if I kid tries there best, but can't do it (hell, I CANT DO IT) I don't see a problem as long as they stay moving. If their grade is affected by their inability to do this crazy workouts, then I see a problem.

Do you see what the athletes during clinical week are required to do? Maybe if American Kids weren't so unhealthy.....And you get the point.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good. I'm happy they're teaching this type of exercise to kids as theyre young, so that when theyre adults, theyre healthier, stronger and more active.

Our kids are obese. Unhealthy, Lazy and live in a generation where TV and video games have made them sedentary.

Times have changed. When I was young i'd come home from school and play outside until it got dark out.

Now kids are spending hours on tvs.

So what if they're pushed to work out?
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    What part of the program do you disagree with?

I agree kids need a workout program but Insanity is for adults.

The school should have informed the parents about the program and requested permission to participate.
    It is good the school is doing something actually real and beneficial and physically active with the kids.
    I agree that parents should have been notified. But I think schools keep the parents in the dark about too many things that affect their kids. My kids belong to me, not the school,or government.
    How do they expect parents to be involved when they keep them in the dark about things?

(This is just based on my observation and conversations with my friends who have kids in public schools, we homeschool now)

Here's me going off on a tangent - instead of blaming the school/teachers for not reaching out to parents, why not blame the parents for not reaching out to the school/teachers? This is no personal attack on anyone in particular, but as a general rule. How often do parents as a rule come and participate in school activities? It's like pulling teeth just to get the majority of parents to show up for parent teacher conferences!!!
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I wonder if those whom said the PE teacher was lazy would feel this way if he/she were preforming the dvd with the children?

I must say i kinda LOL at those who think the children are frail and too small to exercise. I started lifting weights with my dad at 10… These kids can have babies, join the military and play sports with the ability to get them in on college scholarships or professional sports.
    Yes, I would still call the teacher lazy. Develop a program, don't copy someone elses.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    We did (yes I'm dating myself) things like sweating to the oldies during gym...which is no where near on that level. If the program is for 18 + years then I do think they need parent permission unless they aren't pushing the kids as hard as the video's due. I do think child hood obesity is a problem but pushing them to the point of getting sick is not the answer.

Who said they were pushing to the point of getting sick. Insanity is a go at your pace work out system. If you have done it to the point where you are making yourself sick then you are going TOO hard.

The kids should be doing something where if they did it all out, they would not get sick, but get a feeling of accomplishment. You cannot tell a group of little kids to do something "only a little bit" get real. Have you ever coached? Do you even lift?
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with the thought that the teachers are being lazy by popping in a DVD.

At my daughters school they are not doing P90X for the 90 days straight. They do it as a random workout to change up the exercise program.

With so many people working out at home and on their own I think that exposing them to DVD's is providing a foundation for a healthy lifestyle and showing them that you do not have to join a group, club, gym etc. to get some exercise.

JMO!

Karen
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Dear lord. Some people are way over reacting.

An Insanity DVD is no more or less dangerous than climbing a high rope, tackling in flag football (which happened ALL THE TIME) or getting a dodge ball repeatedly beamed at your head.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Insanity is just a body weight class.. Albeit involving intensive intervals.

It's probably one of the better programs the gym teacher could have chosen.

Hey, look at it this way, at least it wasn't the Beachbody brazilian butt lift one.
    388_offer_head_bb.jpg

It's next though, because "at least it's better than doing nothing" and also because we "signed a permission slip at the beginning of the year"? What? (Glad some people chimed in this is sometimes false). Pole dancing will follow. Anything goes, our kids are obese we gotta bring it to their level and spoon feed them and make it fun and easy to shell out for the staff. Woo hoo.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to busting kids' butts to get fit?

Wish more schools would do it. Yes, as a parent, I keep my kids active (7 year old does jiujitsu and kickboxing 5x a week), but just because some parents aren't so involved in a kid's life doesn't mean the school shouldn't give the kids with less involved parents an opportunity to develop good health and fitness habits.

I mean, schools teach our kids math and science and reading, which are arguably also a parent's responsibility, so why not fitness?
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My son's PE teacher makes them do Cup Stacking. I would much rather him do Insanity than CUP STACKING!

QFT!

My son's gym class is currently doing cup stacking -- and hates it.