Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As you can imagine the kids were struggling after 2 minutes of doing Insanity. Also the teacher plans to do more programs.

After 2 minutes? I'm fat and out of shape and I can outdo that easily. That's pathetic , PATHETIC if that is true.

It's kids, they need mandatory activity. It's too bad we can't use that time to get some decent labor out of them.

Waaaa, my kid went to school and was made to be marginally active.

ETA - this necro was just too good to ignore.

Pretty much all kids I know would be laughing after a round of Insanity. It would be hard for them but they could handle more easy.

Exactly, it's hard, but they can handle it. How could they even learn they could handle it unless they challenged themselves? Besides, I don't need insanity, I have the sufferfest. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    We learned to juggle in middle school PE ...

That would have been cool.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    We had a bowling segment in PE. That was actually fun.
  • jenny8117
    jenny8117 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think insanity is a great workout! I just had a baby, am a woman and find that the more I do it, the easier it gets!!
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I would certainly hope that these moves are modified to suit the younger crowd.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That would have been cool.

More than 20 years later, it's still a bonding experience. Any time we have a conversation on FB or get together, it comes up. We also still talk about the ridiculous arobics videos we had to do. Our PE teacher played for the Eagles for a season and another one was Kurt Manwaring's brother and that was the kind of stuff they came up with.

In high school, we had bowling, line dancing and square dancing, just to name a few ...
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    NOt sure what is wrong with Insanity.
    Out of 45 min Gym class your looking at 30min worth of Insanity.
    -- You go as fast or as slow as you want.
    -- True not all kids can play basket ball, football, baseball, but all kids should be able to jump over a log or two.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    I think this is great! Wish I had this teacher in 9th grade.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Beats the lame ars square dancing we were forced to do. I always ended up just sitting because no girl wanted to be seen paired with me :laugh:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

Beats the lame ars square dancing we were forced to do. I always ended up just sitting because no girl wanted to be seen paired with me :laugh:

We had to do that in high school. Well, we didn't HAVE TO. We got a choice every four weeks, though if you were a freshman or sophomore, you pretty much got stuck with whatever was left because seniors picked first, then juniors and on down. It was the worst part of being a freshman.
  • mkop84
    mkop84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We had to do Tae-Bo and I loved Billy Blanks especially when we went into double time :D It was a blast.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, and also, the high school swim coach called me Lisa for four years.

My name is not Lisa. Or anything close to Lisa. My last name is close to Lisa and he is not the only one who ever made that mistake. He is, however, the only one who made that msitake so consistently and for so long.

Ah, gym class memories ...
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Our high schools here in GA, do have these classes as an elective. And HS is from 14-18 yrs of age and the kids love it and are benefiting from these programs. I've seen HS football/Basketball practice have far more intense and grueling programs than insanity.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would certainly hope that these moves are modified to suit the younger crowd.

Actually these workouts are even MORE suited to younger people, such as children, than adults. I've done Insanity workouts and it isn't all that different from the stuff we had to do as a WARMUP to playing organized team sports in elementary school.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg
    This^
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Geez, whatever happened to teaching kids how to play basketball, floor hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc.? It seems to me like their PE teachers are slacking in their curriculum design. While not all kids are great at sports and sure, you will get kids that prefer to do as much standing around as possible rather than participating, you can make 'em do laps! That way, your course at least encourages physical activity without falling back on high-intensity mass-marketed workout videos (that aren't really approved for anyone under 18).

I completely agree with this. If you are a P. E. teacher, then you should have been taught how to encourage physical activity with games and sports that kids that age can do and NOT get exhausted in 2 minutes. as another poster said, that DVD is for adults, not kids still growing. that "teacher" should be ashamed of him/herself.

ALSO........this teacher should have gotten the parents consent before doing this.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Why is the first reaction to always torch the teacher? Anyone with kids (especailly teenagers) knows tha there is a level of drama that goes on when they tell a story about anything that happened in school. Teachers may be teaching insanity during PE, but unless a parent is there to witness, you have no idea if the teacher is bringing it down a notch or showing them different levels of intensity, or even telling them to go at their own pace and take breaks when needed. Grab your pitch forks and torches folks! Time to set this gym teach on fire for doing his/her job. Seriously, I think it's awesome! I hope my kids have their fitness pushed when they are in high school.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    What's with the revival of old threads???

My gym teacher never sent out permission slips to do workouts in gym, but that was a different time too.

My oldest daughter did PX90 at school in ROTC and she loved it!