Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What's with the revival of old threads???

My gym teacher never sent out permission slips to do workouts in gym, but that was a different time too.

My oldest daughter did PX90 at school in ROTC and she loved it!
    My daughter graduated in 2012 and they didn't send permission slips for her, either.

Schools and PE teachers are aware when children have health issues that prevent them from doing rigorous exercise, and it is the parents' job to make the schools aware of these things up front. The assumption the PE teacher should be able to make is that the children in his or her classes are capable of rigorous exercise unless otherwise noted.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why is the first reaction to always torch the teacher? Anyone with kids (especailly teenagers) knows tha there is a level of drama that goes on when they tell a story about anything that happened in school. Teachers may be teaching insanity during PE, but unless a parent is there to witness, you have no idea if the teacher is bringing it down a notch or showing them different levels of intensity, or even telling them to go at their own pace and take breaks when needed. Grab your pitch forks and torches folks! Time to set this gym teach on fire for doing his/her job. Seriously, I think it's awesome! I hope my kids have their fitness pushed when they are in high school.

Our society naturally looks for proxies.

We find proxies to kill our meat or deliver our food.

We find proxies to take responsibility for our actions.

We find proxies for personal interaction.

etc. wash, rinse, repeat.

The poster you were referring to was looking for a proxy for responsibility.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    The teacher was wrong not to inform the parents about the program!!

My kid is very fit but the others are not!!!

Are any of you doing Insanity?

Why do they have to inform you about a workout program??

What do you think is not appropriate for kids here??

The thing about workout programs like this is they allow every kid to get exercise at their own level of ability, and they are much more able to take workouts like this than we are as adults. If you remember back to highschool the way it used to be, if you were not good at a particular sport they were teaching in PE, do you remember what happened? You got to sit/stand around and do nothing. Plus, football/basketball/weightlifting/dodgeball, heck even volleyball is more "dangerous" than a workout like this. I don't know what you think the problem is here, you even say your child is fit!?!? I mean unless the PE teacher is acting like a cruel drill sergeant with punishments, what could be the problem?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Honestly, how many kids continue playing kick ball past high school?

Adult kickball leagues are hugely popular right now, and it is my impression it has been that way for about the last 5 years. A lot of yuppies do it to meet potential dates, and play flip cup at the sponsor bar.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I'm generally pro PE. I think physical fitness is very important. There may be some correlation in the decline of PE classes and rising obesity rates, though I think many factors are in play.

I've not done P90X or Insanity. I have been doing High Intensity Interval Training type classes for a couple years now. So I'd say I have a general familiarity with the workout. Whenever I do jumping jacks in a class, I have a flashback to elementary school.

I like the idea of mixing running, calisthenics, pushups, situps, squats/lunges, and maybe some resistance band exercises into a class, in conjunction with certain sports.

As someone who isn't a parent, the K-12 world ended the day I finished high school. I have had very little exposure to that world since. I do not miss it at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My son did it in 8th grade. They loved it. My daughter is now doing P90X in personal training for junior ROTC. :bigsmile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Adult kickball leagues are hugely popular right now, and it is my impression it has been that way for about the last 5 years. A lot of yuppies do it to meet potential dates, and play flip cup at the sponsor bar.
    I would love to play kickball again :happy:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

One place I used to work at had an annual kickball game. When I was in high school, we used to play a game called "mat ball" (basically, an indoor version of kickball, but with slightly modified rules about how bases are handled, such as being able to have more than one person on a base) that everyone loved to get in on every chance they got, including the seniors and occasionally some of the teachers. In the last couple of days of school, there'd be running games of mat ball in the gym for the whole day that anyone with some free time (or permission) were welcome to join in on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What part of the program do you disagree with?

I agree kids need a workout program but Insanity is for adults.

The school should have informed the parents about the program and requested permission to participate.

to do jumping jacks and push ups?

please. I did that when I was in middle school.

That whole program is easily modifiable. it's PE. not knitting class.
  • Ninguneado77
    Options
    it seems excessive imo
  • rml_16
    Options

One place I used to work at had an annual kickball game. When I was in high school, we used to play a game called "mat ball" (basically, an indoor version of kickball, but with slightly modified rules about how bases are handled, such as being able to have more than one person on a base) that everyone loved to get in on every chance they got, including the seniors and occasionally some of the teachers. In the last couple of days of school, there'd be running games of mat ball in the gym for the whole day that anyone with some free time (or permission) were welcome to join in on.

We just played regular kickball in our gym. Why did it have to be modified?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

A) We didn't have regular bases, so we had to use mats (we had a permanent baseball field for baseball, softball, and regular kickball).
    B) The dimensions of our gym wasn't really suited to a decently-sized kickball diamond (just wide enough for one set of bleachers on one long end of a basketball court).
    C) Could also be a regional thing. I didn't even know what mat ball was until I moved to NW Pennsylvania.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity now. But as a 9th grader, I'd have died. All that sweat messing up the hair I got up at 5am to do. Ha!
  • rml_16
    Options

A) We didn't have regular bases, so we had to use mats (we had a permanent baseball field for baseball, softball, and regular kickball).
    B) The dimensions of our gym wasn't really suited to a decently-sized kickball diamond (just wide enough for one set of bleachers on one long end of a basketball court).
    C) Could also be a regional thing. I didn't even know what mat ball was until I moved to NW Pennsylvania.

Probably the gym size. Ours was quite large with plenty of room and the bases were actually permanently painted on the floor.