Help Me Understand Why..

Options
124»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Dagnabbit.....a troll!!! I'm slow this morning, my coffee must not have kicked in yet. :drinker:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm too tall to be a troll. Heh heh heh.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    There's just far too many variables to accurately make a call that covers this subject. Child abuse is a big one, self worth, peer pressure, genetics, change in lifestyle, marriage & kids etc who knows.

My "theory" is that most people have some areas in their lives that are not under control or a complete mess. Something has to give. Although weight loss and maintenance aren't completely effortless for me, it's easier for me to assert control in that sphere as compared to other things.

I don't judge people who are overweight unless they are impeding my weight loss efforts or disseminating information about weight loss and fitness that are false or outdated that will mislead others.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult for many people to make a conscientious decision to stop eating garbage food? Why some people would run to diet pills or supplements in a desperate attempt to lose weight quickly, when that weight was gained over a long period of time? Why people just can't stop stuffing their faces?

I don't understand the psychology of overeating, or the psychology of not being able to stop overeating.

What's really going on here?

There are many reasons people over eat, develop bad eating habits or even worse, eating disorders. It's not a one size fits all psychology. Congrats on your weight loss so far. And BTW - what was your reason?

Great question! I got lazy and gained a lot of weight, but I also had some long-standing health issues that weren't easily diagnosed. So, I spoke to someone who I know had dropped a lot of weight, and she mentioned the paleo diet and what it was all about. I decided it was too restrictive for me, so I decided to just cut wheat and grains for my diet.

After three months of no wheat/gluten and grains, I had dropped 20 lbs, my cholesterol dropped 40 pts, and every single health issue I had cleared up. I had been evaluated for all sorts of auto-immune disorders.

That was my "light bulb moment" -- the moment I connected eating right and exercising to a healthy lifestyle.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    <<sitting back and taking all the responses in>>

IMHO - there is no one specific reason why overweight people continually and conscientiously eat junk food. The same goes for other addictions - drugs/alcohol/gambling. I can only refer to the anecdotal evidence I've observed through my life and interactions with people from my weight loss support groups (TOPS). My mom is an overeater and a food hoarder (not to the extent where she would make a guest appearance on a TLC show but the pantry and fridge are full). She is a Korean war orphan - half her family was killed or died of disease (mom, dad, and 2 baby sisters) in the war. My mom, her remaining sister and 2 brothers (ages 6-12) survived because of the kindness of a few American solders. My dad grew up in dire poverty - 4 kids (my dad and his 3 siblings) would fight over 3 potatoes. He became a raging alcoholic and kicked the crap out of his wife and kids. But he was trim and his doctors were always surprised with his health checkups.

As far as the people in the weight loss meetings, there are a myriad of reasons: 1. loneliness 2. filling a void 3. numbing the words your boss/kids/parents yelled at you 4. celebration 5. commiseration 6. boredom 7. mindless snacking 8. hiding yourself behind the fat so no one notices you 9. depression and the list goes on.

I'm the consummate emotional eater and I feel that my binging only affects me but my failure is on display for the whole world to see. Alcoholics and gamblers can look great physically to the world but they destroy the lives of everyone around them with their abuse and draining of finances. Drug addicts are on the fringe but can keep it together and look OK while they are going through your purse looking for money or oxycotin. Smokers can kill people with their second hand smoke (but they look good doing it). No one ever died from the second hand aroma of a cheeseburger.

For those lucky enough to have the willpower to not overeat - they will never know the rush/relief you get from snarfing down an All-American Burger combo with a strawberry shake while sobbing in car on the way home after your boss told you that you suck and you should find another job. I could probably go to the gym and get on the treadmill but who wants to watch some fat chick walking and crying - it interferes with people's lat pulldowns and mountain climbers.

The worst demotivator in this weight loss effort is the smug skinny person telling you that you just need to work out and eat less. If I hear another person tell me "calories in - calories out" - I'm going to drown them in a tub of Crystal Light.