my water consumption.....

Options

Replies

• ladyshands
    Options
    Research shows that using an artifical sweetener causes weight gain. (Harvard School of Public Health and Purdue University). I'm trying something lately that might help - sparkling water with a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of real stevia - the green stuff. In small, small doses it is quite sweet. More than that it is bitter. It's the only safe sweetener out there. Good luck!

I have heard this too, as well as the aspartame in crystal light... I just choose not to mess with any of that period although there are studies for and against both. I have been told about the stevia a few times and would like to try it.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    Does anyone know the true definition of '8 cups a day' ??
    I drink about 2 litres of water a day minimum...is this the right amount? or do I need to drink more?
    I used to think that 6-8 glasses was enough but talked with a nutritionist who said to take your body weight and divide it in half & that is the # of ounces to drink daily. Google it. There are so many benefits of water from natural detoxifier to clearing skin that when I feel like not drinking anymore I keep going.

I agree... and for sure, the more I drink, the clearer my skin gets.. anything else, I break out. Which is why I am just not hearing that you dont need water.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    Based on the original post, I am wondering if you are drinking tap water, or if not, what kind of water?

The flavor or water can vary considerably. For instance, I dislike the taste of Dasani, which is Coca-cola's engineered version of mineral water. I love the flavor of Evian, a natural light mineral water. There are all sorts of varieties. Bottled water can be an expensive habit. Still, you might want to find a trusted brand that you like, try a few. I suspect you will find some that taste better to you.

I wouldn't consume a lot of straight tap-water. It is chlorinated, awful taste, and has been clearly linked to bladder cancer. However, treating it with a Brita filter pitcher, or the equivalent, usually improves the flavor and removes the chlorine.

Oh my, it's finally happened. WATER has been linked to cancer. Well, I'm doomed then.

I don't drink tap water where I currently live because it tastes vile- our water in west Texas is heavy in iron and various other nastiness, and I figure if it tastes bad and turns clothing in the washer brown, it's not really wise to drink it. But when I lived up north in New York (upstate), the tap water tasted fantastic- when I go to visit family, I drink bucket loads of tap water. I don't have cancer either... hm.

Okay, all snarkiness aside, it's okay to get 'water' from food sources and other beverages. It makes no difference where the water comes from (a carrot versus a glass). The trouble most Americans have with sufficient water intake from their diet is, well, a crappy diet. If you eat lots of fruits and veggies, you'll be fine drinking less than 8- 8oz glasses of water per day if you live in a temperate climate. However, if you live in an extreme climate, your water needs will vary.

Flavor water with fruit- and kind really. Citrus (of any kind) well washed and sliced is my favorite.

LOL... and yes, my diet is not exactly where it needs to be, so I need as many glasses as I can get. I am a work in progress.
  • alf_attack22
    Options
    I absolutely agree. I keep a stash of straws in my work desk and at home. It really helps me consume more water.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly, but I use a big water bottle that has a straw. I find myself mindlessly sipping it at work and drinking about 12 cups a day. On the weekends at home, I actually drink less because I drink out of glasses a t home. Try a straw!
  • ladyshands
    Options
    This might sound silly, but I use a big water bottle that has a straw. I find myself mindlessly sipping it at work and drinking about 12 cups a day. On the weekends at home, I actually drink less because I drink out of glasses a t home. Try a straw!

I find that a huge bottle keeps me focused also...

by the way...your weight loss is FABULOUS!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    OP, what if you just chug 16 ounces at once time like it's medicine. After a while you'll get used to it and won't have to cram it down :)
  • JenHol79
    JenHol79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I know you dont like to drink it warm but I enjoy hot water, lemon, cinnamon and a shot of honey. I have that maybe once a day now but it took me about two weeks before I actually wanted water and nothing else. Keep at it!
  • ladyshands
    Options
    OP, what if you just chug 16 ounces at once time like it's medicine. After a while you'll get used to it and won't have to cram it down :)

from what I understand chugging huge amounts at once will only make you pee it right back out
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the true definition of '8 cups a day' ??
    I drink about 2 litres of water a day minimum...is this the right amount? or do I need to drink more?

well if converted, 2 liters equals 8.4 cups a day, so you meet the requirement

It is only 8, 8 oz. glasses a day (1 cup) if you are 128 lbs. You need to go by the half of your body weight in ounces to truly get the water you need. I am 209 lbs. and i drink 110 oz. of water a day. Most of the time without additives like lemon, or cucumber (since I hate it) Try the Mio flavors, just squeeze a few drops instead of the recommended (i think 8?), and slowly back it off till you do not need it. Since I cut out soda, and other beverages completely I truly love my water. I do drink unsweetened teas sometime. Roobios tea is good, and naturally sweeter. Whit tea too. Just keep in mind that the tanics in tea will prevent you from absorbing Iron properly so I try to drink it between meals. This is important for women in child bearing years who have their period. (We should be taking an iron supplement) So the fact about the tea is important to us.
  • sarahkalt88
    sarahkalt88 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You could always try an infuser bottle! Just put some frozen fruit or something in the infuser, it will keep your water cold and give it some flavour!
  • madisonpw95
    Options
    I have never been a water fan. I maybe drank one glass a day. maybe. Until......A week ago I decided to give up soft drinks and caffeine cold turkey. I don't like coffee, and I rarely drink sweet tea, so it was mainly just cutting out soft drinks. I started carrying a 20 oz. water bottle with me EVERYWHERE. (I'm one of those who likes room temp. water) I'm a college student, so I carry it to class, drink it with my meals, etc. I usually refill it about 4 times a day. It really helps having it readily accessible, and not buying any other drinks. If you're thirsty, the waters there.

I know some people like cold water, so if you do, try a infuser bottle like someone else suggested. Flavorings work for some people, but I personally don't like them. But do whatever works for you!

Good luck!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Interesting fact I learned to help encourage water consumption. You burn 70 more calories drinking cold water vs. room temp. water. Your body has to work harder to keep your core temp. were it is suppose to be :flowerforyou:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    My son's nutritionist also told me to treat milk as a food, not a drink for him. It has too many calories to be considered a drink.
  • ladyshands
    Options
    Interesting fact I learned to help encourage water consumption. You burn 70 more calories drinking cold water vs. room temp. water. Your body has to work harder to keep your core temp. were it is suppose to be :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: thank you for that!!!!
  • ladyshands
    Options
    You could always try an infuser bottle! Just put some frozen fruit or something in the infuser, it will keep your water cold and give it some flavour!

ooh..never heard of this.. where are they sold?
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer water that isn't chilled. It's a lot easier to drink more that was as well. I'll always choose the tap water over water that has been in the fridge. I typically just fill up a glass from the tap and drink the whole thing, then refill the glass to sip on afterwards. Maybe try drinking a some really fast before filling a glass or water bottle to sip on?
  • ladyshands
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird, but I prefer water that isn't chilled. It's a lot easier to drink more that was as well. I'll always choose the tap water over water that has been in the fridge. I typically just fill up a glass from the tap and drink the whole thing, then refill the glass to sip on afterwards. Maybe try drinking a some really fast before filling a glass or water bottle to sip on?

I get city water so the tap sucks. Funny thing is, my job is located in a town where there is well water but I still don't like the taste of the tap lol. I just stick with the bottle.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I get city water so the tap sucks. Funny thing is, my job is located in a town where there is well water but I still don't like the taste of the tap lol. I just stick with the bottle.

I'd be spending A LOT of money if I had to drink all bottled water.. I'd go through at least 6-8 bottles a day, not including my husband who drinks a lot of it as well, haha. ! I'd have to buy a 4L jugs instead.. it's cheaper that way for some reason. I love water.. and it's the only thing I drink 95% of the time. :) I have "town water" here but I don't mind it. I prefer a well though. :)
  • SabrinaLily
    SabrinaLily Posts: 121
    Options
    Agreed! I think water SUCKS too! At a restaurant, I've come to love adding freshly squeezed lemon (and I suppose you could throw in some Splenda and try to create a calorie-free lemon shake!). At work though I rely heavily on MIO. It's a liquid, calorie-free additive that flavors my drinks much better than say a Crystal-Light like product because there's no dissolving or crystal chunks floating. It instantly blends, tastes great and has no calories. It's a little pricey, but well worth it!