Juice Cleanse - Ever done one? How did it work for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I have removed many posts from this topic that violate our community guidelines.

Please keep in mind these guidelines when posting:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it for religious/spiritual reasons, go nuts. None of us are here to make you change your religious beliefs. However, it really is not worth it on the body, especially if you do the longer ones. So don't be going around saying it's good for weight loss/nutrition/what-have-you

i'm convinced it's a form of self-flagellation for some people. they get it in their heads that they've been "bad" with their diet and they feel that they must somehow punish themselves for this "failure". trying to live on juiced carrots and beets for 10 days sounds a lot like punishment to me. this is why rational arguments don't seem to work... they are doing these things more for how it helps to assuage their guilt than anything else.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I've read many books on spiritual healing methods so one on-line link that you post is not going to make me change my mind. I am not telling ANYONE that they need to do this in order to lose weight/be healthy, I was simply giving the girl who posted this topic a different point of view coming from someone who has the experience of doing a cleanse... which is what she asked for.

But please, continue to bash the opinion of a RANDOM person on the internet.... your day is looking very productive indeed.

it's not only one link. there are literally hundreds. and the links are from actual medical doctors, medical organizations, and scientists.

it's one thing to differ on opinions. politics. religion. whether or not ufos exist. it's quite another to refuse to accept established scientific facts. you can't insist that the world is flat and not expect people to tell you that you're wrong. you can't insist that the moon is made of cheese and not expect that you will be corrected. likewise, you can't tell people that detox cleanses are perfectly valid medical procedures and that people who disagree simply don't have the willpower to try them, without expecting to be called out on that comment.

you are wrong about detox cleanses. it doesn't mean you're a bad person. it just means that you are misinformed.

<Stands and Salutes>
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Just mixed some lemon juice and baking soda to cleanse my stainless steel sink.:laugh:
    Don't laugh.......................it worked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There are a few juice bars in my area, and I'm thinking about trying a 3 day juice cleanse. If you've done it - Was it good? Did you have a lot of energy during it? How expencive was it? How much weight did you lose on it? Would you recommend someone doing it - Would you do it again?

TIA!!!

I drink fresh vegetable and fruit juice every day. I watched "fat, sick and nearly dead" on Netflix and started a 10 day cleanse the next day. Day 3 was the worst, mainly because I was detoxing off of sugar and caffeine. But day 4 I was a whole new person. That was in nov. 2012. Since then I have done a 3 day cleanse. Felt great the whole time, was even able to do my regular runs. I drink 1-2 juices a day, with a wide variety of vegetables that I would not eat raw. If you plan on doing a cleanse do your research. There is a wrong way to do it and a healthy, beneficial way. Friend me, message me, I will help if I can. My favorite websites with lots of info are www.rebootwithjoe.com and www.juicemaster.com. Good luck to you.

So just to clarify, you were "detoxing off of sugar" by reducing your diet to consist of nothing more than liquid sugar?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Warning

Although alternative medicine proponents claim that cleanse diets improve health, they might be dangerous. Sina Teskey, a dietitian at Region's Hospital in Saint Paul, Minnesota, notes that detox diets might cause nutritional deficiencies and other health problems because they lack calories and protein. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that cleanse diets eliminate dangerous toxins from your body. The beneficial effects some dieters report might be due to switching to a diet that does not include processed, unhealthy foods. Following a balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean protein often boosts your energy and helps you lose weight without sacrificing your good health. Talk to your doctor before beginning any new cleanse diet to ensure that you receive the nutrients your body needs

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/433157-are-cleanse-diets-bad/#ixzz2RBTcgpHK
  • bre1833
    bre1833 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Practical advice: If you would like to add juicing to a solid diet, then that is a FANTASTIC idea. The benefits of that are many, not the least of which is that it's often easier to drink veggies than eat plate after plate of them.

But they do not cleanse, detox, and they will not substitute for real food. Get a juicer and throw in a few juice drinks onto a good, solid-food diet. You'll do much better that way.

I totally agree with this!