31 dead and over 200 injured in bombings today

Options

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    How is it in poor taste? I find it in poorer taste to suggest that these 31 not be remembered until tomorrow because the American tragedy is more important today
    exactly. this is not a solely american site. america is not the centre of the universe.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.

What the **** kind of thing is this to say ! ... people in iraq are just that same as people in the us !!!

what a ignorant **** !
    Thanks for this. Your post is exactly why this thread is ill timed.

^^^Totally disagree - your thread it the best timed possible because these people also died today and since all people are equal this is important. Anyone dying through bombing are just as important as anyone else - they are all a disgusting waste of life..
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else

I have to agree. It is small minded to think that only US news deserves to be acknowledged, especially on a site that has many people from many nations. I think it's distastful to portray yourself as a typical self absorbed American.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    My prayers and best wishes for the Boston community. Having been fortunate enough to get by 2 bad events I can honestly say this is bothering me. It is b/c of actions like this that I hold firm to my belief that certain parts of the world should be turned into glass parking lots, period.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    How is it in poor taste? I find it in poorer taste to suggest that these 31 not be remembered until tomorrow because the American tragedy is more important today
    exactly. this is not a solely american site. america is not the centre of the universe.

Right. My heart goes out to all who live in fear of violence, no matter where they are. All 33 deaths deserve to be mourned equally.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Tell you what. If the OP reads this and tells the truth and her truth for posting this topic was only to post the tragic event that killed 31 and had nothing to do with proving a point then I will apologize to her and back off. I'll believe her 100%
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else

I have to agree. It is small minded to think that only US news deserves to be acknowledged, especially on a site that has many people from many nations. I think it's distastful to portray yourself as a typical self absorbed American.

exactly, and this isnt an "american only" site, mfp has users from all over the world, whats important to you, and whats important to another, may not be the same, but both may be just as important. your an adult, if your feelings got hurt that someone cares that other people were murdered in other bombings today, get over it!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    My prayers and best wishes for the Boston community. Having been fortunate enough to get by 2 bad events I can honestly say this is bothering me. It is b/c of actions like this that I hold firm to my belief that certain parts of the world should be turned into glass parking lots, period.

If only evil just came from "certain pats of the world" I would agree. But it doesn't, so I can't say I do.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I think it's distastful to portray yourself as a typical self absorbed American.

I think it's distasteful to perpetuate stereotypes. Not all Americans are "self-absorbed."
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Tell you what. If the OP reads this and tells the truth and her truth for posting this topic was only to post the tragic event that killed 31 and had nothing to do with proving a point then I will apologize to her and back off. I'll believe her 100%

but why does she have to justify herself to you? why do only the lives of 2 people in boston matter? why cant she focus on 31 other people who were murdered today?
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was scrolling through pictures on Reddit and came across one of a man who had gotten his leg cut off. I found this comment:

"I hope people looking at this picture realize that this is what we've been visiting upon innocent people in the middle east, 24/7, for years and years.

It's always baffling to me (because I don't feel this way at all personally) when something like this happens how heightened people's reactions are just because an act of violence was visited upon "us" (some vaguely defined team your'e supposed to care deeply about being on, i.e. Amuricans, southerners, oregonians, texans, seattleites, etc...) when really such violence is regularly committed by your own team's military with little to no outcry, apologetics for blatant murder (i.e. look at any democratic partisan's response to US assassination policy during this administration and the fact that our government doctors civilian death/mutilation statistics by counting any 'military age' male within a drone strike area as a 'militant') and not a word of sympathy for the people who's lives are destroyed everyday, people who are just as innocent as this man who's had his legs blown off in the picture, by internationally illegal policies that are hypocritically supported by the majority of Americans.
    What is shown in this picture is tragic and should provoke a reaction of sympathy from a decent person, but please realize that when you hear the words 'drone strike', or 'War On Terror', or 'US military action', spoken by a politician, THIS is what they are selling to you and trying to justify, this horrifying pain and destruction is what you are being asked to support and/or ignore.
    We have a deeply corrupted media and government culture such that truthful, graphic, visceral images like this, regarding the consequences of US military actions in the war on terror are not published and journalists who investigate the War On Terror on location and come into contact with supposed 'terrorist' elements can be charged with serious crimes, or indefinitely detained without charge. Meanwhile, any violent event within the entire US is broadcast 24/7 in a mind numbing, nationalistic, propagandistic barrage of hyperbolic feigned sympathy as "the world's most terrible tragedy ever in the world forever OH HOW TERRIBLE, IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU FEEL VERY PERSONALLY SAD AND SCARED ABOUT THIS EVENT THAT HAPPENED THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY FROM YOU AND INVOLVED NO ONE YOU KNOW (much like the recent US military bombing in Yemen/Pakistan/Afghanistan that killed x amount of children/men/women that we didn't report on because it wasn't a terrible national tragedy, like this event, seeing as it only involved the death/mutilation of dirty non-Amurican brown people who were probably dangerous America-haters anyway and deserved what they got)"

Gauge your own reaction. Do you care more about white American Joe here with his legs blown off than you do about the continuous stream of innocent middle eastern children/men/women who are murdered/mutilated every day under policies that you support (if you are among the majority of Americans, Democrat or Republican)? Isn't that a little incongruous? Expose yourself to some graphic photos of the children we murder via our non-stop bombing of the middle east to help re-calibrate your empathy function, it's not working correctly."
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Lock this **** up. Its extremely irritating to see any tragedy turned into an "America is not the center of the universe" tantrum.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This site is filled with people from many different countries, not just the US. While I would have probably finished the title with where it happened, all anyone had to do was open the link and read. The topic alarmed me because I thought something else might have happened in Boston that I missed while fixing dinner or such.

Is anyone's life more significant that another's tho? Every human being is a mother/father/sister/brother/daughter/son/parent, etc. So many lives were affected today by bombings/explosions. I feel sad for all the lives that were lost and all the family members that lost someone or are suffering from injuries.

I don't think it's fair to tell the OP when they can or cannot post something.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

1) Would this have been posted if the Boston bombing didn't happen? Nope
    2) That being said the article was only posted to make a point, which would have been better served tomorrow.

QFT
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

correct, china is the new centre and still growing

and as a sobering thought, about 2000 will have starved to death worldwide in the time this thread has been going and you well fed people are argueing about comparative trivialities !!!!!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Bombs in America killing a few people vs. 1000's of innocent women and children dead in Iraq everyday due to a pointless war.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

And she likely never would have posted it on any other day....
    You can be offended. I still say the OP's post is ill timed and speaks volumes about her.
    why? does it make you feel uncomfortable that whats happened in the OP will get maybe 5% of the press?
    Doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. I know what the OP is doing. I'm sure she does this sort of thing all the time.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Some people call it "making a point."

I call it trolling.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just awful. Those poor people. I really hope the find the people that did this.
This discussion has been closed.