31 dead and over 200 injured in bombings today

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.
    Are you for real????

The bad taste is in the reason it was posted which was too only make a point. Yes, I get the point being made and I agree with it, just not the time to make that point.

But who does making that point truly harm? Some people may not like it, but no one directly affected is likely on MFP right now reading threads.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Tell you what. If the OP reads this and tells the truth and her truth for posting this topic was only to post the tragic event that killed 31 and had nothing to do with proving a point then I will apologize to her and back off. I'll believe her 100%

but why does she have to justify herself to you? why do only the lives of 2 people in boston matter? why cant she focus on 31 other people who were murdered today?

And some people don't get it. To make a post just to prove a point, this could have waited. I'm saying she never would have posted this if the Boston explosions never happened. If I hear otherwise then fine. DO you see threads started on MFP about the daily tragic events in the world? Yes, we should be posting threads like that, but we don't for whatever reason. AGAIN, no one is saying that the 31 poeple kille should not be mentioned, the issue is with the intent of the post.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Some people call it "making a point."

I call it trolling.

I call you ignorant.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    while you have a good point, I feel it would have been in better taste to save this post for tomorrow.

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else
    I think it's distastful to portray yourself as a typical self absorbed American.

I think it's distasteful to perpetuate stereotypes. Not all Americans are "self-absorbed."

That is my point. We are not all self absorbed, but to think that another tragedy doesn't deserve attention because it didn't happen in the US makes it appear as though we all are.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Why? It happened today. Its a tragic event like what happened in Boston. I find it offensive to say wait until tomorrow. It deserves the same attention as anything else

sadly enough, the reality is that there are people on these board who were directly affected by the events today, and out of respect we probably shouldn't dismiss them so easily.

of course horrible things happen other places, but as someone astutely pointed out - would the post have been made if nothing had happened in Boston today?

it's just opportunism.

I'm all for getting down and dirty and political if need be, but all I'm saying is lets do it tomorrow while there are people in the MFP community who were directly affected.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I think it's distastful to portray yourself as a typical self absorbed American.

I think it's distasteful to perpetuate stereotypes. Not all Americans are "self-absorbed."

That is my point. We are not all self absorbed, but to think that another tragedy doesn't deserve attention because it didn't happen in the US makes it appear as though we all are.

But no one is saying that, he is simply asking the reason of her intent on posting this..at least, that is what I am getting.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    Are you for real????

The bad taste is in the reason it was posted which was too only make a point. Yes, I get the point being made and I agree with it, just not the time to make that point.

But who does making that point truly harm? Some people may not like it, but no one directly affected is likely on MFP right now reading threads.

I get mad when this kind of stuff happens in any part of the world. I don't really care for someone trying to make the point on the day it happened.
    MFP is an exercise site, there is a good chance some MFP'ers we're running the race, so there is a chance someone was affected in one way or another. I have heard two MFP friends already say they knew someone running the race, thankfully they were not affected.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was a UN requirement that America gets to grieve for their fallen before any other countries do.

Get over yourselves. Grief is grief. You can't assign a number like we're in a deli. Mourning these people doesn't take away from the mourning for those in Boston. To suggest otherwise only perpetuates the stereotype about "typical Americans".

BTW, before you insist I don't care, I had two friends in the marathon today.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Are you for real????

Wanna bet? I have friends who were running the marathon today that I only *just* found in the past hour were OK.

I agree with whoever said the OP posted this just to prove some "point." It would have never been posted otherwise.

Poor timing, poor taste...
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    sigh. i hope for a day when this isn't a common occurrence..anywhere.

this.

its also disgusting to me that its being argued about at all.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is depressing.

33 total lives are gone, no matter what part of the world they were born...

And we are reduced to whining at each other about "proving points" and "stereotypes."

I wish I had more to add to the conversation other than utter disbelief in what I am reading from fellow MFP'ers.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Tell you what. If the OP reads this and tells the truth and her truth for posting this topic was only to post the tragic event that killed 31 and had nothing to do with proving a point then I will apologize to her and back off. I'll believe her 100%

but why does she have to justify herself to you? why do only the lives of 2 people in boston matter? why cant she focus on 31 other people who were murdered today?

And some people don't get it. To make a post just to prove a point, this could have waited. I'm saying she never would have posted this if the Boston explosions never happened. If I hear otherwise then fine. DO you see threads started on MFP about the daily tragic events in the world? Yes, we should be posting threads like that, but we don't for whatever reason. AGAIN, no one is saying that the 31 poeple kille should not be mentioned, the issue is with the intent of the post.

I get that you dislike a thread designed to make a point this way even though you agree with the point, I can respect that.

To be fair most of the time we aren't allowed to discuss politics (and if this thread goes poof I won't be surprised) so even if OP wanted to post political stuff all day in the general forums the threads would be deleted.
  • TheWinman
    Options

But no one is saying that, he is simply asking the reason of her intent on posting this..at least, that is what I am getting.

You are correct in the reason why I'm asking,
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Lock this **** up. Its extremely irritating to see any tragedy turned into an "America is not the center of the universe" tantrum.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was a UN requirement that America gets to grieve for their fallen before any other countries do.

Get over yourselves. Grief is grief. You can't assign a number like we're in a deli. Mourning these people doesn't take away from the mourning for those in Boston. To suggest otherwise only perpetuates the stereotype about "typical Americans".

BTW, before you insist I don't care, I had two friends in the marathon today.

Totally ignorant post. You missing so much in these replies.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Should these people apologize for having the poor taste to die at the same time as Americans?

FFS, people...
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options

sadly enough, the reality is that there are people on these board who were directly affected by the events today, and out of respect we probably shouldn't dismiss them so easily.

of course horrible things happen other places, but as someone astutely pointed out - would the post have been made if nothing had happened in Boston today?

it's just opportunism.

I'm all for getting down and dirty and political if need be, but all I'm saying is lets do it tomorrow while there are people in the MFP community who were directly affected.

I guess I just don't agree that Boston is being dismissed. Nobody on this thread has called it any less than a tragedy. It just happens to share a day in history with another tragedy where lives were unnecessarily lost to violence. Both are worth my thoughts and prayers.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Are you for real????

Wanna bet? I have friends who were running the marathon today that I only *just* found in the past hour were OK.

I agree with whoever said the OP posted this just to prove some "point." It would have never been posted otherwise.

I'm glad your friends are okay. :flowerforyou:

And to anyone reading this who might worried about their friends in Iraq, too. :flowerforyou:

It's a horrible world. But I'll go take my misanthrope platform somewhere else for awhile.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

did you actually read the damn thread before posting?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Should these people apologize for having the poor taste to die at the same time as Americans?

FFS, people...

How dare a terrorist attack on American soil be important to Americans...
This discussion has been closed.