7 YEARS CANCER FREE TODAY! WOO-HOO!

Options

Replies

• Sue3510
    Sue3510 Posts: 6
    Options
    Like you, my breast cancer was found on a screening mammogram. I went through ultrasound and needle biopsy and was found to invasive cancer that had not yet invaded anything but the surrounding tissue. I had a lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy. All went well. No chemo, only localized internal radiation. I am cancer free for four years. I think it's really important for people to know that there have been great advances in treatment for certain types of cancer. A cancer diagnosis, while frightening, is not necessarily fatal.

Congratulations on your survival. Celebrate every day. Like you, I remind people constantly not to neglect themselves and to get all the screening tests they need.
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Truly, thank you for posting!
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO!!! AWESOME! I am so happy for you! :drinker:
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good Day to all you wonderful people just starting, struggling, maintaining and achieving on this site. Today is a beautiful day and I wanted to take a moment of your time if you don't mind to make a Public Service Announcement. If you take a moment to read my story you'll find out why.

In January 2006 I went in for my annual mammogram - not a pleasant topic I know, but a necessary evil for us women. I wasn't worried, I mean after all, I was only 44 and there was no family history of breast cancer, no big deal. Even when the technician kept coming in to take additional pictures I didn't worry as they always did that due to the "fatty tissue deposits" I had (some of you women out there will know what I mean).

About a week later I received a phone call saying they found something "suspicious", and they wanted me to have a needle biopsy (worst procedures ever...almost). So I went...alone (no family in the area), still thinking, they probably made a mistake and were just being careful. After the procedure I asked the technician if I could see the images they took and had her explain to me what they saw.

What they saw were tiny, tiny specks of cancer (the size of a straight pin head)! They looked like black dots on the screen to me.

After another week or so of waiting the final results came in that it was cancer (DCIS) and they recommended I find a surgeon.

I found a wonderful surgeon who then performed a lumpectomy, and sent me to meet with a radiologist and oncologist. When the results came back from the Mayo Clinic he called me back in and said they got what they could, but were not 100% sure as that the cancer was very close (1/10 mm) to spreading to the lymph nodes and outer breast tissue. He recommended a single mastectomy and without missing a beat, I told him no - if you take one, you take both - I'm never going through this again (cancer can move from one breast to the other).

On April 16, 2006 I had my double mastectomy and thankfully did not have to have chemo or radiation.

So today I CELEBRATE LIFE and this incredible journey on MFP that I started in January. :happy:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Ladies (and gents) pay attention! PLEASE, PLEASE do not neglect your bodies. HAVE YOUR ANNUAL MAMMOGRAMS! And if you find yourself in this unfortunate position, and have the capability, try to interview all your doctors before making any decisions. It is overwhelming I know, but I interviewed 4 plastic surgeons for my reconstruction before I found one I was comfortable with.

Life is a gift...embrace it, enjoy it and love those around you. :flowerforyou:

You're AMAZING!!!! You're story bought tears to my eyes.... I lost my Dad to colon cancer 10 years this upcoming Aug, he was only 56... I also lost my Mom's fiancé in Aug ( on her and my Dad's would of been 43rd wedding anniversary) to Peritoneal Mesothelioma at age 65. The BIG "C" word runs like wild fire in both sides of my family, with more members with my grandparents passing &/or in remission from various forms of it... Thank you for taking the time to share your IMPORTANT message and story

This is EXACTLY why I am here to get healthy for me, my hubby and my children and HOPEFULLY decrease my chances of getting this horrible unbiased cruel disease!!!!

God bless you!!!!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Wonderful news!
  • MimiLovesHorror
    MimiLovesHorror Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great news and happy anniversary!
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ....celebrate everyday my friend!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Happy anniversary!!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic news ...I'm walking my 3rd 3day 60 mile walk this year and to hear stories like yours is why I do this!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So definitely not your normal type of success story to find on a weight loss site but I am so happy for you. One of my brothers is also a survivor of around 15 years now and I'm so grateful. Congratulations on your amazing happy ending!
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    SO happy for you! Congratulations and Happy 7 years!!! :flowerforyou:
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary and thanks for sharing your amazing story. You rock!! :flowerforyou:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    many many congrats
  • Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are a strong woman and a mighty EXAMPLE. Thank you for your inspiring story. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. I know you have lots of determination and will reach all your goals that you have set. That is true we have to take care of our bodies no matter how old or young. We only get one life........::flowerforyou:
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are amazing to set such high goals for yourself. So inspiring.... Have lotsof fun on the walk. :smile:
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is wonderful! My uncle is doing his best to kick his Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in the butt. He was diagnosed seven years ago and is in his third bout of battle. (He was in remission twice in the past) This time is really hard, and he has been in the hospital for months, and they don't know when he will be able to actually start his Chemo this time, let alone go home. Posts like this help give me and my family hope that there is light at the end of this long long tunnel! Thank you for the inspiration!

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/help-tom-witcher-annihilate-lymphoma-/123948
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great day!!!!!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    That wonderful! It is the best thing I've read today!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I will add another stern warning to your wonderful post:

Ladies, ALWAYS have a regularly scheduled PAP SMEAR !
    I skipped a year or three and ended up with an endometrial tumor,
    which had progressed all the way to stage 2B. I had to have an
    immediate surgery for a complete hysterectomy, my cervix was removed, as well.

Both ladies AND gentleman, if you must undergo a cancer surgery,
    please make sure to have follow-up exams. Individual cancer cells from
    the original cancer can survive, and later spread throughout the body,
    as mentioned in the Original Post,
    to start a new cancer in a completely unrelated system.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!