Movies that made you feel awful

Options

Replies

• Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I cant remember the title, but there was a movie that had some disturbing scenes. Its about a woman who was raped by group of men and murders them out of revenge.

Also, the Stoning of Soraya was a very sad, but good movie. It is based on a true story, and knowing that these things do still occasionally happen in the world make it sadder to watch.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No films have ever made me feel awful although I do remember Serbian film and ham centipede being really disgusting just for the sale of it.

Edit: forgot about the lion king.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Irréversible

YES, YES, YES…this movie is one you'll never forget watching but wish you could.
  • Meiya007
    Meiya007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The movies that made me feel awful that I can think of at the top of my head would be Black Swan, and Broke Back Mountain (not a feel good movie at all...). I can't seem to remember anything else at the moment but I know there were others...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Meet Joe Black. It's one of my favorites, but it's a horrible movie to watch right after your dad dies.

Se7en. Coincidentally, I was seven when I saw it. Yea, my parents didn't always use the best discretion when it came to acceptable movies. I love it now, though.

Where the Red Fern Grows. Read the book, too. Cried for days.

Marley and Me...my black lab that I had had since I was a child died not too long after I saw that movie. Ugggghh.

The Hills Have Eyes. Horrible movie to watch before going on a road trip through the desert. UGH.

The Ring. I wouldn't watch TV for weeks after seeing that movie.

The Duchess. WHY ARE MOVIES SO DEPRESSING?

What Dreams May Come. Again, horrible movie to watch right after your dad has died.

The Exorcist. Another movie I saw way too young. I was convinced Linda Blair lived under my bed.

Bambi. Screw you, Disney.

Atonement. Again..WHY ARE MOVIES SO DEPRESSING?!

"Artistic" writers, directors and producers think it is their responsibility to depress all of us--in the name of "Arrrrt"? They are usually quite disdainful of "feel good" movies. I ask you---weren't movies invented originally to help people to take their minds off their troubles? The "feel good" movies always make the most money---why is it that Hollywood insists on making movies that make their viewers miserable? Maybe it is because so many who make the movies are quite dead inside and it takes unusual and depraved stories to get them excited?

The movie that saddened me was "Braveheart"--mainly because it was a true story and they really did that to Sir William Wallace. :cry:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Hachi, Marley and Me, Beaches, Gone with the Wind, Requiem for a Dream, American History X, and most recently End of Watch. :sad:
  • sjhall25
    sjhall25 Posts: 2
    Options
    The Impossible. I cried through most of the film. It was brilliant- but I'll never watch it again!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    "Wolf Creek" didn't do much for me, but I think "Rec" is probably the one and only film that has genuinely chilled me to the bone. <shudder>

I watched Wolf Creek at a sleepover and I literally had to call my Mom to pick me up and take me home.
  • suzieqsmart
    Options
    Yeah... that one was difficult to watch.

Trainspotting is along those same lines, but it least it had a happy-ish ending.

My husband is from the UK and loves Trainspotting. I told him I'd never watched it because I just couldn't get into it any time I tried (much the same with Fear and Loathing).

So, he decided that he would get me to watch it while I was pregnant. I got to the part when the baby dies and I was done. Still haven't watched it. Have no desire to. That turned my stomach a thousand times. I don't know what he was thinking. :frown:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yeah... that one was difficult to watch.

Trainspotting is along those same lines, but it least it had a happy-ish ending.

My husband is from the UK and loves Trainspotting. I told him I'd never watched it because I just couldn't get into it any time I tried (much the same with Fear and Loathing).

So, he decided that he would get me to watch it while I was pregnant. I got to the part when the baby dies and I was done. Still haven't watched it. Have no desire to. That turned my stomach a thousand times. I don't know what he was thinking. :frown:

I watched the movie, "Alien" when I was pregnant with my first, and I was totally miserable with severe morning sickness at the time. Through some weird fluke of pregnancy hormones, I totally could identify with the idea of having been taken over by an "alien" presence. :ohwell:
  • suzieqsmart
    Options
    Earthlings.

I couldn't get through this. Felt sick to my stomach and went to be crying. Horrible.
  • Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Borat

So wrong, on so many levels.....
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Two brothers. I literally cried the entire time
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Schindler's Fist
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    American History X. Then scene where the guy puts his mouth on the curb has scarred me for life.

YES! I can't even think about that scene...

Also agree with Requiem, Marley & Me, Schindler's List (I still get sad thinking about it and haven't watched it in probably 20 yrs), and the Hills Have Eyes

ETA: I wanted to add the movie with Tim Robbins and Sean Penn where Sean Penn's daughter is killed... I can't remember the name right now, but it was SO sad!!

ETA 2: MYSTIC RIVER!!!!!
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I cried for hours!
  • suzieqsmart
    Options
    Patch Adams - SOOOO sad.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    American History X. Then scene where the guy puts his mouth on the curb has scarred me for life.

Glad I'm not the only one. My insides twist and wrench every time I'm reminded of it.

I watched The Road recently. That made me lose some sleep.
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    My sisters keeper
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    The Titanic- I know it's based on a historical tragedy and yet the way they humanized all the victims made me so sad for them.
    Marley- I am a huge dog lover and had to put my dog down not long after seeing that movie. She was so sweet but had a massive tumor on her leg. She was a lab and German shepherd mix who was kinda mischievous like Marley
    The Master- just a confusing and worst hours of movie ever made. Shouldn't have even been in Best Picture category this year. Smh