Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options
I live in a rural area, 45mph two-lane road, very minimal houses, all woods and/or fields. I never ran at night so I was really nervous, don't own pepper spray, so I opted for my small gun. It was 9pm, and I can't go out for a run before then... I "know" I'm probably ok...but it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Where do YOU put it??? I kept mine on my waistband at 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty) but I had to keep adjusting it as it was sliding around.

I honestly felt like just running with it in my hand because I was so frustrated... :laugh: Also, if you do carry, what type of holster do you use? I have a belt-clip hard plastic.

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Really... We're going there... :noway:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I just want to read the responses.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have compression shorts that have a holster in the back. I also have a Nathan Hydration Belt that my gun nicely fits in. I tried the arm band one, but didn't like it. My compression shorts are the best. I worry more about animals more than cars or people.
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hear you on this one! Only my run times are early in the AM. I hate the neighborhood I live in, very dirty, nasty, and the people are "sketchy". I have a soft clip on case, but I don't wear it when I run. I wear a thin vest and I carry it in my vest pocket.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    A little personal pepper spray is like...less than ten dollars.
  • tjcnc
    tjcnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something like a small fanny pack? I know they have some that curve more to your hip. May be able to adjust to be able to remove as quickly as a holster. Secret Service has zipp bags sure a gun store or NRA web site might have a similar type item
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    They sell a "fanny pack" type holster that you wear in the front. You can adjust the size so it's nice and snug around your waist.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Oh COME ON. Some people carry pepper spray, some people carry pocket knives, some people carry guns. Sheesh.

It's pitch-black out where I live. I know I'm not the only person that carries something.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I totally support that. Just wanted to throw that out there...I can't afford one but more power to ya! Wish I had a good solution to offer!
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel like that is super dangerous to run around with out the gun secured, just in your waistband. And it's definetly not safe to run with it in your hand!

Have you had proper gun safety training?

I just want to see more responses.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Really... We're going there... :noway:

Do what is necessary to protect yourself. It is crazy people in this world. I don't carry mine when I run, but my husband carries one. He uses a belt holster.
  • mlb929
    Options
    ankle holster strap just ditch it if you get rolled up on by a cop, concealing at night while running wouldn't be my biggest concern.

I was assuming that the poster had a legal permit to carry concealed if one is necessary. Open carry is legal in my home state so I don't worry too much about it, but do keep my permit with me.

Frankly ditching a gun is probably more a crime than carry the gun, what if it ended up in the hands of the wrong person. Be responsible, carry legally please.
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually paid for a custom-made shoulder holster. It's not the best for running, but since where I live, it's cold or chilly for about 3/4 of the year, it's easily concealable with a light jacket.

As far as the "ditch if the cops show" comment, just know the laws in your area. I have a concealed carry permit, and have never had a problem with the cops. Throwing a gun that's register in your name into the darkness at night is really, really not wise.
  • bluebuggy1970
    bluebuggy1970 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank God I live in a safe place.... might have to worry about the occasional dog / coyote but never enough to have to carry a weapon.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Me too - I live in Ireland. The only people who carry guns here are the ones who are heading for prison anyway.
    I lived in the countryside here for 5 years and didn't encounder any axe wielding maniacs/rapists/general thugs
    Ireland may have its problems, but guns .... no....
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy the other night run through my neighboorhood while carrying his gun in his hand. He was also carrying a bag of something, probably weights, over his shoulder.

So if you're just running with your gun in your waistband you're probably not working hard enough to get a good burn.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    fanny pack (turned around to face front...)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    One of my peers (female runner) in VA used to use a neoprene microphone belt pack (really comfortable since I wear one for classes) and the weight of her .22 was about the weight of a mic transmitter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mlb929
    Options
    Here is a thread that may get you more answers without really taking it "there".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/947106-ladies-how-do-you-stay-safe-while-jogging-alone
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Pay no attention to the folks who don't understand. I don't carry mine running, but I may feel the need at some point. I can completely understand that your belt clip would be uncomfortable while trying to run, I used to have a soft one that fit inside my waistband but I don't think that would stay put either. I've heard that they make compression shorts with a built in holster, never seen them. Try looking that up online and see what you get. You could also try a shoulder holster, I think they make them that strap down fairly tightly to prevent the bouncing you'd feel running. Let me know what you decide and how it works for you.
This discussion has been closed.