Running at night with a concealed carry.

Options

Replies

• alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)

This! So glad I live in Canada where I don't have to worry about encountering people carrying guns while just out and about.....

Yeah right.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Assault Victims
    Can .... 2.3% .... US.... 1.2% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 5th. 92% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Rape victims Can .... 0.8% .... US 0.4% .... **DOUBLE**
    Ranked 8th. 100% more than United States Ranked 13th.

Canada VS US Crime Stats
    Total crime victims Can....23.8%.... US.... 21.1%
    Ranked 7th. 13% more than United States Ranked 15th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

Seeing it's a topic about carrying guns wouldn't this stat from that site be more fitting? :huh:

Murders with firearms
    Canada -144 Ranked 9th
    USA - 9,369 Ranked 1st. 64 times more than Canada

Actually it's not the most fitting, seeing as how the OP is trying to prevent herself from becoming a victim....
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    haha I don't think liberals are going to come near this thread with a 10 foot pole. It fact I think they are all hiding in a cave right about now smoking a joint. I hope you didn't scare off 47% of the Americans on MyFitnessPal.

Gun totin', non tokin' red blooded lib here pal. :happy:
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Whether you like guns or not, they are protected by the constitution...so deal with it. The right to bear arms is non-negotiable. (At least here in America.)

OP--- I hope you got your answer. I totally support your decision to conceal carry. There's no way I'd run at night without it.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't find this statistic shocking of course there will be more deaths by firearms it is illegal to own a gun in Canada.

Not actually true, we have "restricted" firearms but you can in fact own a gun in Canada.
    Hunters would be pissed if they couldn't own guns.
  • rosco1099
    rosco1099 Posts: 10
    Options
    Fobus makes a good paddle holster with mutliple carry positions. When running, I carry in the middle of the small of my back. I feel more balanced than carrying on my side. As always, know your local concealed carry laws and carry your ID with you.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like that you left out the Murder with firearms, you know, the one that probably matters most here :p

Can : 144
    US : 9639
    64 times Can

But yeah, that doesn't matter :p

i wouldnt say it matters most, OP never said why she carries, is it cause of mugging, rapes, or afraid to get murdered

also mind you the US has 10X the population of canda, so per person its not really as harsh as you make it sound

OP if I'm correct your main concern is not so much getting mugged, but more so the wildlife?

I don't find this statistic shocking of course there will be more deaths by firearms it is illegal to own a gun in Canada. I didn't look at the stats but can someone tell me what are the number of deaths comparisons for knives, blunt force trauma, or other weapons?

Murders in 2012 in the US.....14,748......4.8 per 100,000 people
    Murders in 2012 in the UK.....722............1,7 per 100,000
    Murders in 2012 in Canada...554............1.6 per 100,000
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Trayvon Martin murdered by a responsible gun owner?

He didn't have ANY criminal record!

Yes. Poor Treyvon was murdered by a responsible gun owner, while he was straddling said gun owner, pinning him to the ground and bashing his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Where I come from, that's called self defense.

Yuppers ^^^^^^^
    [/quote]

Ok BS. Martin had a nice size juvenile record and school records of fights and violence.

If you want to compare apples to apples. Look at Australia when they introduced their gun ban. Gun related crimes sky rocketed because criminals kept their guns while everyone else had to get rid of theirs. So guess what, crimes went up because criminals knew they were the only ones armed.
    [/quote]

Agreed good sir.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Need it for what? A deer mugging? :huh:

Put your gun away before you hurt someone

Yes because responsible, law-abiding gun owners are the ones hurting people ... :ohwell:

In case you're wondering, criminals love people who think like you.

Playing devil's advocate here...

Wasn't Trayvon Martin murdered by a responsible gun owner?

He didn't have ANY criminal record!

Yes. Poor Treyvon was murdered by a responsible gun owner, while he was straddling said gun owner, pinning him to the ground and bashing his head into a concrete sidewalk.

Where I come from, that's called self defense.

Trevon Martin was followed by his killer for "looking suspicious" meaning being a young black man, then confronted unprovoked, despite 911 officials telling Zimmerman not to do so when he called. There was no physical scuffle like you described. Don't spread misinformation about a poor dead child to push your political agenda.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2012/03/pers-m26.html
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    are you for real ??

do you live in iran ???

Do you carry a jack and spare tire in your car? Do you live in Utopia?

To the OP. You dont owe any explanations for your personal decisions. Im glad you carry.

When seconds count, a policeman is only minutes away.

^^This.^^^

We have a *kitten* load of closed-minded individuals on the forums today. Then again........thats mostly everyday. SMH
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

And you'd be speaking french if it wasn't for the British and theirs.

But never mind. You'll all be speaking spanish eventually. Enjoy.
    [/quote]

Thought of another good one...

If it wasn't for the Catholic Church we'd all be speaking Arabic by now.

If it wasn't for the Mongol Hordes we'd all be speaking Latin by now.

If it wasn't for the Roman Empire you'd still be speaking your original barbarian tribe language...eh that one needs work.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I do carry - legally. IF I did run, I would use the Flashbang bra holster or the compression undershirt with the holster under the arm. http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/apps/store/default.asp?view=search&groupid=1257
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have compression shorts that have a holster in the back. I also have a Nathan Hydration Belt that my gun nicely fits in. I tried the arm band one, but didn't like it. My compression shorts are the best. I worry more about animals more than cars or people.

I'd be curious about the compression shorts. Although I suspect you might be carrying a sub or micro compact and I have a compact .45. I have the compression shirts with the under arm holster and it rubs really bad when running, but work great for work.

To the OP. I understand. I live in an a rural area myself and if I go run it is about 4am in the morning and I have my flashlight with me too. I used to leave my doors unlocked, but recently there has been incidences of teenagers breaking into neighbors cars. One of them was shot at, out here of course they shot back. Needless to say the teens ran off rather quickly, even dropping items they stole from other neighbors.

To some that commented about fear, no, it isn't fear it is a tool that can give me a distinct advantage if something does happen. I don't carry to alleviate a fear, but to be sure I'm not limiting myself to a weapon that leaves me at a disadvantage. Others commented about pepper spray. You can build a resistance to pepper spray and may not be as effective with multiple attackers.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Palm strike to the nose.
    Finger jab to the eyes.
    Elbow to the ribs.
    Knee in the crotch.

Scream, yell, make a ton of noise and run like hell.

Nothing wrong with owning a gun for protection, but if someone comes at you from behind, you won't have time to un-holster, aim and shoot. It'll be too late. Your attacker will have it and then your fate is sealed.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I do carry - legally. IF I did run, I would use the Flashbang bra holster or the compression undershirt with the holster under the arm. http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/apps/store/default.asp?view=search&groupid=1257

My wife has the Marilyn. This series of holsters was a great idea for women and on body carry. They hide a lot better than belt carry and the tighter shirt styles of today.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As far as the people saying 'get a large dog'.... I'm going to call you out on highly irresponsible advice.

A.) If you have a dog that you fail to socialize to the point it would actually protect you on a run, then you have done a disservice to whatever dog breed you own. I love my dogs, I have big dogs, but they are not trained attack dogs. They would not go after a stranger, nor would I want them to go after a stranger. Heck if we are out of the house, they don't even bark at most people, they just want to be petted. This is the way most family pets SHOULD behave.

B.) To actually get a dog that would protect you requires you to purchase a few select breeds, and then train them INTENSIVELY so that they are safe around the house and around strangers, plus be athletic enough to go on a long run. We are talking maybe 3 or 4 different dog breeds, and if she has small children, not all of these breeds are appropriate to have. Not to mention the cost of training them to that level can be prohibitive.

Getting a dog is not always the answer. If your attacker has a gun, all it means is he has to take one extra bullet to shoot your dog before turning on you. Yes dogs will bark, but in a rural setting, if no one is around to hear it bark, well that's not done you any good. And if you say that 'your dogs will protect you against a _____ (bear, coyote, mountain lion, etc) I ask you why in the world you would want a beloved family pet to lay down it's life for you? Most wild animals can easily dispatch your average dog, unless we are talking a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Shouldn't you be trying to protect your dog as well as yourself in these situations?

Having a dog accompany you on your run should be:
    1. fun/enjoyable for the dog who is properly conditioned to accompany you (ie it shouldn't be too hot, the dog should be able to keep up with you)
    2. a deterrent.

Between my family members and me, we have 7 dogs, and really none of them meet both of these criteria. The yellow lab loves to run, but is so friendly, she'd encourage trouble. The chow is so furry that she gets too hot. The black lab doesn't know when to stop running and overheats. The German Shepherd is beginning to have hip/joint problems. Etc. etc.

However, I think that if both criteria are met, it's great for person and canine :)

A lot of the dog posts were a joke. At least mine were.

Mine was somewaht of a joke, both dogs I walk are ok with most people BUT if you ever came at me they would defend, the same gos if you went after them I would defend either way the attacker is going to get their *kitten* handed to them. I also do not carry myself as a victim and people sense that, a criminal is going to target those they feel are weak.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Seriously people?????? You are going to give this women flack because she wants to be safe? This is what is wrong with America today! People have lost their humanity.

I say go for it girl! I can't as well do this because I have a .357 magnum-isn't an easy gun to carry just walking hahahahaha I would say a shoulder holster, garter holster, or ankle holster would be my best suggestion-you need something that will keep it secure and in place....:)

Good Luck and good for you to take your safety into your own hands-nothing wrong with that at all and don't let people tell you it is. :)

Actually, I didn't give her flack for wanting to be safe. I gave her flack for mishandling the weapon. She could have injured herself. Why on earth would anyone shove a gun down their pants when they are running?

My comment on Trayvon Martin was more in line with playing devil's advocate. There are two sides to this coin. Sure, taking guns away from owners is asking for higher crime rates because criminals will get guns regardless. But at the same time, if the guns weren't available for anyone, then criminals couldn't get them.

The United States has 5 times the violent deaths of the UK and their police force (mostly) doesn't even carry.
  • Kendie74
    Kendie74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thought of another good one...

If it wasn't for the Catholic Church we'd all be speaking Arabic by now.

If it wasn't for the Mongol Hordes we'd all be speaking Latin by now.

If it wasn't for the Roman Empire you'd still be speaking your original barbarian tribe language...eh that one needs work.
    [/quote]

I think my husband does still speak the original barbarian tribe language. :tongue:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Oh COME ON. Some people carry pepper spray, some people carry pocket knives, some people carry guns. Sheesh.

It's pitch-black out where I live. I know I'm not the only person that carries something.

soooo how are you gonna see the rapist creeping up on you if it's pitch black out?

take some tae kwon do lessons, learn to protect yourself and ALWAYS go for the crotch or eyeballs!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Seriously people?????? You are going to give this women flack because she wants to be safe? This is what is wrong with America today! People have lost their humanity.

I say go for it girl! I can't as well do this because I have a .357 magnum-isn't an easy gun to carry just walking hahahahaha I would say a shoulder holster, garter holster, or ankle holster would be my best suggestion-you need something that will keep it secure and in place....:)

Good Luck and good for you to take your safety into your own hands-nothing wrong with that at all and don't let people tell you it is. :)

Actually, I didn't give her flack for wanting to be safe. I gave her flack for mishandling the weapon. She could have injured herself. Why on earth would anyone shove a gun down their pants when they are running?

My comment on Trayvon Martin was more in line with playing devil's advocate. There are two sides to this coin. Sure, taking guns away from owners is asking for higher crime rates because criminals will get guns regardless. But at the same time, if the guns weren't available for anyone, then criminals couldn't get them.

The United States has 5 times the violent deaths of the UK and their police force (mostly) doesn't even carry.

I didn't shove it down my pants! I have a holster, factory that came WITH my gun that I slipped onto my compression shorts. I carried it legitimately...it just wasn't comfortable.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Only in the United States of America! ;)

Yeah.OK.

What about a shoulder holster? Strap it on like a backpack and go, seems like it would work to me. Ignore the ignorant ones who have no concept of why a person would want to carry a gun. I live in the country and my concern is bobcats, coyotes, alligators, etc. regardless if it is day or night. Carry on.
This discussion has been closed.