Do I look like I need to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My advice for anyone within 10 or so pounds of where they think they want to be is to focus on body fat percentage and fitness level. This will do more to change what you see in the mirror and how you feel about yourself than a number on a scale.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I think you are absolutely adorable! If you're interested in weights, I suggest StrongLifts 5x5. Totally changed my body composition. I went from being skinny to being fit and healthy looking. I'm 5'6" and weigh 120 lbs, so 135 should be achievable for you. I eat about 2000 cals/day.

I will look into that-thanks!
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. You definitely don't need to lose weight.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I think it sounds like you have some serious self-esteem issues. You shouldn't be asking this online, if you feel bloated and terrible with your weight, eat healthier, if not keep doing what you are doing.

Well the question was posed because I started MFP to try to achieve a certain goal. I feel that visibly and scale wise I have not changed much since starting...

I'm not making the progress I wanted to make initially and so I'm disappointed.

But on the other hand-I got some good advice about strength training and made some new MFP friends too, so posing this question was worth it.

I think to a degree we all struggle with self esteem issues-maybe not constantly and some maybe more than others...as a female I am at times insecure-admittedly.

Thanks for the input.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if you were happy with your appearance and confident in how you felt, you wouldn't need the assurance of anyone else. I was the same way and still am. My hubby was happy with me, but I wasn't with myself. That is probably why you are asking others, because you need reassurance, so that you will feel good. If you can't answer this question yourself, then take action and put yourself on the track towards the day when you can look in the mirror and no need to ask anyone, because you will know... and not need reassurance.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Post a photo if you can handle honest opinions, mind you one persons fat is another persons skinny, its all about the eye of the beholder!

You cant really tell that much from stating your weight etc.

Regards

Pics visible on my profile.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My advice for anyone within 10 or so pounds of where they think they want to be is to focus on body fat percentage and fitness level. This will do more to change what you see in the mirror and how you feel about yourself than a number on a scale.

What he said. Ideal weight is a tricky concept anyway. BMI is fine to tell you if you are obese. But, if you are muscular the number is deceptive. Most people BMI numbers actually give them a false sense of security and their BF is higher than their BMI would indicate cuz they don't work out. But, working out will get you to a smaller size even if the numbers on the scale don't budge. So, the focus as always should be on health. Eat less processed junk, exercise, log and it takes care of itself eventually.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're not overweight but if you want to tone up and lose bf % weight training can help.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    This is a loaded and unfair question.

If I say "yes", guess what? I'm BODY SHAMING YOU.

If I say "no", then you will say "But...." then go on and want more judgment.

So, what do YOU want to hear? Because, apparently it's either accusation or affirmation.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your body, then who cares what people think? Being happy and healthy is all that matters

Well the main reason I joined was to try to get back to 135 lbs...I felt prettier at that weight and more comfortable in my own skin...I just haven't been able to get past 139 and I wasn't able to maintain that...I was starving when I was maintaining that weight.
    I think you've answered your own question. If you had to starve yourself to maintain 139, then ovbiously it wasn't a healthy weight for you. A proper weight is one you can maintain while still eating healthy.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    We're about the same height and I ran into the same thing. Lowest I could get it was 138 and that was a struggle to maintain. I think I hit 135 after a round of the flu. 142 was where I maintained for the longest time. Then I started messing with my hormones and am the heaviest I've ever been. Hubby thinks I'm fine the way I am...

The funny thing is that Sunday, as we were driving back from DC, we stopped at a rest stop. In the ladies room, there was an old fashioned scale with height and weight ranges. The one for 5'7" was 142 and 5'6" was 137. That means that our bodies are apparently calibrated to a 60 year old scale. ;)

On a slightly more helpful note, you do a LOT of exercise. So, on paper, you might think you need to lose weight, but based on the density of muscle vs the density of fluff, you might actually "see" yourself as larger than you actually are, if that makes sense.

I was getting caught up on the numbers, until I realized that my clothes fit better at 168 than they did at 160, on account of all of the running and leg work I've been doing. I'm still not at the size that I want to be at, but I have a better appreciation for the numbers and don't let them bother me quite as much anymore.
  • NadiaSAKloof
    NadiaSAKloof Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with some earlier comments to up the weight training. It is not good to be so far under your target intake per day. If you are weight training, you should at least try to meet your protein requirements. I think you size is fine, maybe just some "firming up". I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself and, with more muscle mass, you will be able to eat more as you will be burning more calories. x
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pics visible on my profile.

actually, they aren't. while they are nice pics and you look good in them, there's not enough of your actual body in any of the shots for anyone to assess. plus, they are 90% wedding photos, and isn't everyone like 20 pounds lighter than usual on their wedding day?

but here's the thing. if you husband says you look fine, and you're comfortable where you are right now, why do you need our opinion? conversely, if you're not satisfied, but we all say you don't need to change a thing, you STILL won't be satisfied. what I'm saying is, it's your body and your opinion is the only one that matters. you've got to be happy in your own skin.

what do you think?
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You are not over weight but if you wanted to lose a couple of pounds it would not hurt you, I do suggest just lifting some weights and not really focussing on the number but focus instead on building muscle and getting leaner. and buffing things up.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is such a silly question to ask people.

You clearly joined MFP for a reason.

Also, some people might say "yes, you need to lose weight" some others will say " no! you look great! and others will say " well you're not overweight but you could probably lean up a bit" etc. etc.

It could go on and on.

You, yourself need to make that decision. Who cares what we say?!!
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I just wish that I could get to your weight. I have quite a bit to go and I don't know if I will ever see he body that I yearn for after two children. My husband tells me that I look great the way that I am too. However, when you're putting on your size 18 pants and XXL shirts...you feel ANYTHING but "great!".

Think about it this way. Your hubby loves you and everything about you or else he would not have married you. I think the comment you made about "starving" when you were 135 should be a red flag...tone it up some and you will drop sizes as well.

I remember stepping on the scale in BMT and thinking "But my pants are so lose! Why haven't I lost weight??" it was because my body was toning up and getting tighter all over but the muscle that I had gained was making my weight stay around the same.

Just some things to keep in mind when you're concerned about your looks and losing weight. :smile:
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You are not overweight, by any means. If you want to "look" 135, and feel more comfortable in your own skin, lift weights and get toned/stronger.

ETA: Plus, by lifting you could eat more so you won't feel like you are starving!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    As a guy who goes to the gym all the time and sees women of all ages and sizes.. You are in good shape but
    you need to really work on your arms. Do some tricep and bicep work. Nothing looks better than toned arms..
    Other than that you look great.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    This is a loaded and unfair question.

If I say "yes", guess what? I'm BODY SHAMING YOU.

If I say "no", then you will say "But...." then go on and want more judgment.

So, what do YOU want to hear? Because, apparently it's either accusation or affirmation.

LoL. Not taking the bait.

See the other posts above if you need guidance on how to give helpful advice.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    See another thread if you need to know what happened last time I answered this exact question.