Those who claim to be "full" off less than 1200 cals per day

Options

Replies

• bookoholic
    bookoholic Posts: 72
    Options
    I currently have a set goal of eating 1200 calories a day but even with exersize I sometimes don't eat more then 900 to 1000 a day, I don't do it intenally, I just look at it this way if I am not hungry why should I eat? so unless I am hungry I don't eat. sometimes it around 1200 sometimes it less, but I listen to my body if I am not hungry why eat, so I don't when my tummy grambles I will eat. But sometimes 900 or less calories fills me. Becuase I have started to eat when hunry I have lost 5 lbs.
  • Barbie4life
    Options
    I don't agree at all.
    Some days I eat 400 cals, others 3000 and I feel good on both; you shouldn't worry about the calories but what types of food you eat.
    Sugars (not counting those from fruit) and bad fats are high in calories but VERY bad for you. You can eat a kilo of cucumber with a measly 80 calories but you get loads of vitamins.

Eating a 500 calorie burger from McDonalds is not something that should be counted as food.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think people just do this to themselves. They think diet is barely eating anything. If you're eating the right mixture of foods you should never have trouble getting your 1200 in every day. I come from a family of females that diet this way but I can't change their minds. It's their metabolism not being like mine or some other excuse. I worked my butt off to get here. It was 5 months of eating right and exercising 3 times a week that caused my weight loss. It wasn't my "high metabolism". Some people want a quick solution and can't see the wisdom in doing it slow.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Im on slimfast diet which have eat between 1200-1400 a day.

I have had days on less 1200, it shows in the weigh in.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    I had to comment on this as I do feel offended!!!! I eat 900-1000 cals a day. I have my daily routine of food which in fact, does fill me up!!! Everyday for breakfast I have porridge with milk which is 183 cals and a banana which certainly fills me up. Then at lunch I have a huge salad or soup, which also fills me up. For dinner I usually have a healthy home cooked meal around 300 cals. A lot of the time I can't even finish my meals!!! I definitely do not 'starve' myself. I enjoy food and love eating healthy salads and low fat meals which I can have a lot of, rather than small portions of high cal food.

I am 157cm, so for my height, to just maintain my weight I can only eat 1200 cals a day. Am I supposed to just eat 1200 cals because people think I'm starving myself if I don't, and never lose weight?? Even though I have weight to lose?!

I really think it's unfair to judge people in my situation who eat less than 1200, as each person is different. If when I'm maintaining rather than losing, I ate the recommended 2000cals a woman should eat, I'd be setting myself up for a weight gain each week!!
    I have had a checkup with my doctor and I am doing everything right. For someones body to be in starvation mode it's actually under 800 cals, not 1200!!

For the amount of cals I eat a day I have more than enough food and am always satisfied, because I make the right food choices. I consistently lose 2lbs a week, and this week am due to have lost 51lbs so far. I have been losing the weight for 5 months now and I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been. So I do have to completely disagree with this post.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I honestly don't care if people decide to eat less than 1000 calories per day. It only concerns me when they encourage others to do the same. My doctor told me 1200 a day wasn't enough for me. If you're doing it with the advice of your doctor, more power to you. I just don't want to see diet myths perpetuated.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care if people decide to eat less than 1000 calories per day. It only concerns me when they encourage others to do the same. My doctor told me 1200 a day wasn't enough for me. If you're doing it with the advice of your doctor, more power to you. I just don't want to see diet myths perpetuated.

I agree. There are some lifestyles or plans recommended or monitored by physicians and those, I may not agree with completely, but I can respect. There's also some that may require fasting for medical purpose, calorie cycling (zig zag) or practice intermittent fasting. As long as their weekly calorie demands are met, again, I have no issue.

I think I get a little upset when I read something like "blahblahblah ate 900 calories today (...and earned 400 calories from exercise)" and this occurs several days in a row. Now, if you're leading a very sedentary lifestyle, it's pretty imperative to stay low or near your BMR, but add in activity and you NEED those calories to efficiently and effectively run the body as well as develop muscle tissue. Counter to what many think, eating MORE can indeed spur weight loss and/or body recomposition.
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets

Obesity, Weight Loss, and Very Low-Calorie Diets (VLCDs)

Traditional weight loss methods include low-calorie diets that allow between 800 to 1,500 calories a day and encourage regular exercise. However, an alternative method that moderately to severely obese people may consider for significant, short-term weight loss is the very low-calorie diet (VLCD).

Many VLCDs are commercially prepared formulas of 800 calories or less that replace all usual food intake. Others, such as the well-known grapefruit diet (also called the Hollywood Diet), rely on eating a lot of the same low-calorie food or foods. VLCDs are not the same as over-the-counter meal replacements, which are substituted for one or two meals a day.
    How Effective Are Very Low-Calorie Diets?

A very low-calorie diet may allow a severely to moderately obese person to lose about 3 to 5 pounds per week, for an average total weight loss of 44 pounds over 12 weeks. Such a weight loss can improve obesity-related medical conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. However, VLCDs are no more effective than more modest dietary restrictions in the long-term maintenance of reduced weight. Combining a VLCD with behavioral therapy and exercise may increase weight loss and help keep it off for the long-term. Behavioral therapy helps you to recognize what causes you to overeat so that you can consciously change those behaviors.
    Are Very Low-Calorie Diets Safe?

Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity.

VLCDs are not suitable for everyone. Doctors generally recommend them on a case-by-case basis and your doctor will decide whether or not such a diet is appropriate for you. VLCDs are not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and are not appropriate for children or adolescents except in specialized treatment programs. Due to the potential need for other medications for preexisting conditions, as well as the possibility of side effects, these types of diets may not be suitable for people over 50, either.
    What Are the Side Effects of Very Low-Calorie Diets?

Many people on a very low-calorie diet for four to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, and diarrhea, but these conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent people from completing the program.

The most common serious side effect seen with VLCDs is gallstone formation. Gallstones, which frequently develop in obese people (especially women), are even more common during rapid weight loss. The reason for this may be that rapid weight loss appears to decrease the gallbladder's ability to contract bile. But, it is unclear whether VLCDs directly cause gallstones or whether the amount of weight loss is responsible for the formation of gallstones.
    What Are the Other Drawbacks of Very Low-Calorie Diets?

To be healthy, we need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's quite difficult to get good nutrition in as few as 800 calories (even a dietitian would have trouble doing this), especially if one eats the same foods day after day.

Also, once you go off the diet, you will likely regain your weight unless you change your lifestyle and commit to healthy eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food. By sticking to a long-term commitment, you can prevent your weight from drifting back up the scale.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I find that I need 1600 calories a day, and would never feel full on 1200 or less unless I was sick. I exercise to get myself over 1800 calories every day because I need them so badly to feel good. However, I can understand how it feels to be surprisingly full on little calories. I'm often shocked about how few calories I eat from waking up through dinner - sometimes I will have only consumed 1000 calories up until then - it's all a matter of what you're eating.

I always pack in the rest of my calories after dinner - usually I have 600-700 saved for that time. I hate waking up in the middle of the night hungry. I know this may look like binge behavior, but it works for me, and I'm not hungry during the day on 1000 calories. I do get hungry - REALLY HUNGRY - at night though, if I don't eat the remaining 600-800 calories my body wants.
  • fiendiish
    Options
    I will also throw in that I rest my case concerning people fiercely defend starving themselves.

This post was not offensive...but it will be taken offensively to people who are doing it.
  • fiendiish
    Options
    I had to comment on this as I do feel offended!!!! I eat 900-1000 cals a day. I have my daily routine of food which in fact, does fill me up!!! Everyday for breakfast I have porridge with milk which is 183 cals and a banana which certainly fills me up. Then at lunch I have a huge salad or soup, which also fills me up. For dinner I usually have a healthy home cooked meal around 300 cals. A lot of the time I can't even finish my meals!!! I definitely do not 'starve' myself. I enjoy food and love eating healthy salads and low fat meals which I can have a lot of, rather than small portions of high cal food.

I am 157cm, so for my height, to just maintain my weight I can only eat 1200 cals a day. Am I supposed to just eat 1200 cals because people think I'm starving myself if I don't, and never lose weight?? Even though I have weight to lose?!

I really think it's unfair to judge people in my situation who eat less than 1200, as each person is different. If when I'm maintaining rather than losing, I ate the recommended 2000cals a woman should eat, I'd be setting myself up for a weight gain each week!!
    I have had a checkup with my doctor and I am doing everything right. For someones body to be in starvation mode it's actually under 800 cals, not 1200!!

For the amount of cals I eat a day I have more than enough food and am always satisfied, because I make the right food choices. I consistently lose 2lbs a week, and this week am due to have lost 51lbs so far. I have been losing the weight for 5 months now and I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been. So I do have to completely disagree with this post.

I think you are misinformed.

Your BMR is probably 1200...that's not maintenance cals...that's how many cals your body uses to function. This is the prime example. You are at a proper weight...and NEED 1200 to function correctly. So unless you lay in your bed all day...you need more than that to maintain your weight....especially if you exercise regularly.

I would be skeptical of ANY doctor who encourages a consistent diet of less than 1200 calories to anyone at a proper weight (ie, not needing to lose a huge chunk of weight quickly). That's simply bad practice...and frankly, if (God forbid) you end up with any health issues from your restrictive diet...I would sue for malpractice.

I'm sorry you're offended. That wasn't my intention and I do wish you health.
  • Rea_K
    Options
    I will also throw in that I rest my case concerning people fiercely defend starving themselves.

This post was not offensive...but it will be taken offensively to people who are doing it.

Was this aimed at me???!!!

I particularly am grated by your comment saying that whoever took this offensively are starving themselves. That is judging, without even taking into account what I said!!
    I thought this site was here to support eachother, not attack a certain group of people!! I was simply defending myself and others who have to eat less than 1200 cals to lose weight. I think starting this post was unessecary in the first place, especially if you can't accept there are two sides to a story. We are all entitled to our opinions, and one person doesn't have to be right!!

As long as I know I'm not starving myself, that I am healthy I am getting all of the nutrients I need, and my doctor approves of my eating plan, I really do not need to prove myself to anyone!!

I might start a post saying "all people who eat over 1500 cals a day are fat and greedy". Apparently it's totally fine to offend an innocent group of people, who are just trying to lose weight and get healthy!!

I was obese before I started losing weight from eating the rda of 2000 cals. I didn't not have an overeating disorder or a binge problem. My body simply needs less cals. I will not start eating more than I need to now, and end up where I started simply because someone thinks I starve myself.
  • Rea_K
    Options

Your BMR is probably 1200...that's not maintenance cals...that's how many cals your body uses to function. This is the prime example. You are at a proper weight...and NEED 1200 to function correctly. So unless you lay in your bed all day...you need more than that to maintain your weight....especially if you exercise regularly.

I would be skeptical of ANY doctor who encourages a consistent diet of less than 1200 calories to anyone at a proper weight (ie, not needing to lose a huge chunk of weight quickly). That's simply bad practice...and frankly, if (God forbid) you end up with any health issues from your restrictive diet...I would sue for malpractice.

Please do not patronise me. I fully understand how it works!!!!!!!!!!
    My diet is not as restrictive as you think- I even ate a chocolate bar today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My point is, I eat a lot of low cal foods. Just because I choose to snack on cucumber and peppers and not a bag of crisps doesn't mean I starve myself. You are accusing people who eat 1000 cals like me of starving myself, and I'm telling you I do not starve myself. That is what has offended me. I do not want to argue about this, just wanted to give my input
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    You're both right in some aspects.

Rea...Your BMR according to Harris Benedict is 1396 before any multipliers are added.

Sedentary ... 1675
    Sed. With 500 deficit ... 1175
    Sed. With 700 deficit ... 975

Moderate activity ... 1919 (this is the 2000 RDA you mentioned)
    With 500 deficit ... 1419
    With 700 deficit ... 1219

I think that deficit may "work" as a weight loss tool if you're sedentary, but factoring in that you're quite close to goal, you may be at a point of re-evaluation of your caloric needs, especially if you're active or see stalling.

Again, that's just my two cents.
  • fiendiish
    Options

Rea...Your BMR according to Harris Benedict is 1396 before any multipliers are added.

Sedentary ... 1675

I think that deficit may "work" as a weight loss tool if you're sedentary, but factoring in that you're quite close to goal, you may be at a point of re-evaluation of your caloric needs, especially if you're active or see stalling.

Indeed!

However, a 120lb person should not NEED to lose 2lbs per week or need a deficit of more than 500. That close to goal? Nuh uh.
  • Rea_K
    Options

Sedentary ... 1675

Thank you, I appreciate posts like this as you have taken the time go see why I eat 1000 cals, & don't just judge without knowing th facts first!!!!

I am very sedentary. My jobs means getting up at 5am, sitting in a car for 2 hours then sitting at my desk all day until U leave at 5:00pm, only to sit in the car for another 2 hours. I then get home at 7pm, make dinner, sit & eat. Let my food digest, then go to bed. I manage to get to the gym 3 days a week for an hour where I burn 600cals. Sometimes I eat all of these cals, sometimes I don't. I have one cheat day a week, sometimes I have 2.

People should take the time to find out these details before judging and assuming they k ow more about the persons diet than they do.

I know what I'm doing is right, that's why I've been successful.

Each week I review my cals intake. Next week they will probably increase. Also, when I'm maintaining I will follow the coerce steps to ensure I maintain.

You see we're not all dumb people who think that undereating is a good thing.

This is the point I was trying to make.
  • Rea_K
    Options
    Damn Iphone!! I meant 'correct' steps, not coerce steps!!
  • fiendiish
    Options

Please do not patronise me. I fully understand how it works!!!!!!!!!!
    My diet is not as restrictive as you think- I even ate a chocolate bar today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My point is, I eat a lot of low cal foods. Just because I choose to snack on cucumber and peppers and not a bag of crisps doesn't mean I starve myself. You are accusing people who eat 1000 cals like me of starving myself, and I'm telling you I do not starve myself. That is what has offended me. I do not want to argue about this, just wanted to give my input

Oh geez.

I am not patronizing you...but I can see that you're simply not going to listen to what I am saying.

I guess you could start a post about 1500 cals being fat and greedy....I'm thinking that won't go over too well though...try it.

I eat anywhere from 1200-2000 cals a day depending on activities and exercise. My weight loss is consistent 2lbs per week and I feel great. Never hungry...and I don't deprive myself. So, technically...am I still fat at 233 lbs? Yes. Am I greedy for wanting to eat? Well...yes I am! I will say this though....none of my nutrient requirements are in the negative at the end of the day

Fat and greedy. ABSOLUTELY! Go ahead and start that post. :laugh: (Now that WAS patronizing.)

You're taking this way too personally. I did not say "Rea_K, you're starving yourself"...you assumed that all by yourself.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I think if Rea is working to lose weight alongside a doctor, and she obviously has a found a programme that works for her then who is anyone to judge how much she eats/doesn't eat?

I can see both sides to the arguement, as sometimes I struggle to eat 1200, sometimes I struggle to stay under 1200 plus exercise calories, but every body is different and is trying to find something that works for them to lose weight in a healthy way.

However, I do think this post was started a bit unneccessarily harshly though, and I'm afraid I don't fall into the catagory of people who take offense because they are on the defensive! I just think there are ways of making a point without being antagonistic
  • Rea_K
    Options
    Fiendiish, 1-2lbs is a healthy weekly rate of weightloss, and if I want to get to goal sooner than it taking twice as long, I really don't see what your problem is with this. I don't NEED to lose 2lbs a week, I choose to lose 2 lbs a week, and if my health isn't compromised, I do not see a problem.

As I said anyway, I review my cals consumed and burned weekly, and it may be when working it out that next week I need to up my cal intake.

As I've been saying from the start, I know what I am doing and am losing weight healthily.
This discussion has been closed.