Why high dietary fat %? Are we trying to kill each other?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    'cuz fat doesn't make you fat. Anyone doing low carb/no carb is going to have a diet high in fat as well as protein...if you eliminate one macro, the other's go up. It's all very simple really. So long as you are within your calorie goal it doesn't really matter. I get about 30% of my calories from fat...most of it from nuts, avocados, nut butters, olive oil, etc. I'm doing a 40/30/30 ratio of macro nutrients...if I was low carbing it, no doubt my fat macro would be at least 50%.

Let's get out of the '80s shall we...it is 2013...fat doesn't make you fat.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    'cuz fat doesn't make you fat. Anyone doing low carb/no carb is going to have a diet high in fat as well as protein...if you eliminate one macro, the other's go up. It's all very simple really. So long as you are within your calorie goal it doesn't really matter. I get about 30% of my calories from fat...most of it from nuts, avocados, nut butters, olive oil, etc. I'm doing a 40/30/30 ratio of macro nutrients...if I was low carbing it, no doubt my fat macro would be at least 50%.

Let's get out of the '80s shall we...it is 2013...fat doesn't make you fat.

it's got nothing to do with making you fat, it's about internal health, over doing one thing to the other will cause problems, 30% fat is perfectly fine, 70% is not
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat does not make you fat - overeating makes you fat.

If you have a risk factor for clogged arteries, I guess I would touch base with your doc before eating a lot of dietary fat (even though I am not sure that is a direct cause of that either...but I am no doctor). I have no such risk and I eat 35% fat, 35% carbs, and 30% protein. My cholesterol/triglycerides have dropped into the normal range, my blood pressure is normal, etc. etc. etc...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

55% fat, 25% carbs 20% protein

You are trying to gain weight - not lose. And you consume a ridiculously high calorie level that would require more fat due to density. I specifically said this is bad advice for those who are eating at a deficit and trying to support good health.

Would you suggest to your "clients" that they consume more fat and less protein and carbs than their body needs? Because that's what's happening here every day.

that's a great point, and one worth addressing

if you're eating at a deficit, it's MORE important to hit your micronutrient levels than it is to hit any particular fat macro. Absolutely. That's why using percentages is silly on the whole. Protein requirements are essentially static, and only change with your lean body mass. I personally feel that you can't reach your micro nutrient goals very well unless you're hitting at least 100g of carbs through mainly fruits and veggies (that's an opinion, I know there are a lot of Keto fans out there - I'm not one of them).

but once you know how much protein you need, and how many carbs your body feels good on and needs to hit nutrient levels, the rest can absolutely be taken up by fat if you so desire. It will NOT cause you any harm, as long as you avoid trans fats and stick to as many good fats as possible (coconut, avocado, olive, animal fats, etc)

so even in a deficit, you can have a "high fat" diet and see incredible results, and do so in a healthy way.

The problem wit Adkins was people take it to an extreme and do NO carb diets and thus are missing out on huge chunks of micronutrients the body needs to function.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    i eat 55% fat.

dietary fat has no impact on body fat unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. fat is also great for long term energy whereas carbs are better for short term energy. I like long term energy. :)

55% fat, 25% carbs 20% protein

You are trying to gain weight - not lose. And you consume a ridiculously high calorie level that would require more fat due to density. I specifically said this is bad advice for those who are eating at a deficit and trying to support good health.

Would you suggest to your "clients" that they consume more fat and less protein and carbs than their body needs? Because that's what's happening here every day.

I eat 30% carbs, 30% prtoein, and 40% fat. I started at 245lbs, currently am 214, am a female, and I'm losing eating 1900 calories a day. I don't always hit my macros, but I try to get enough protein, and the rest kind of fall where they may. Like others, most of my fats are from lean proteins, nut butters, avocados, and olive oil.

So, I essentially am the example you gave. How am I killing myself or anyone else? Or was I supposed to be gaining weight?
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat over 80 grams of fat per day, and my blood work is superb. I have been a vegetarian since birth, and have always had a very high fat diet without any problems (until a recent sports injury caused me to gain weight). I get all of my fats from nuts, seeds, avacados, healthy oils. I would never tell someone eating the standard american diet to try for 80 grams of fat per day, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it by loading up on chia seeds and raw almonds.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    [/quote]

I eat 30% carbs, 30% prtoein, and 40% fat. I started at 245lbs, currently am 214, am a female, and I'm losing eating 1900 calories a day. I don't always hit my macros, but I try to get enough protein, and the rest kind of fall where they may. Like others, most of my fats are from lean proteins, nut butters, avocados, and olive oil.

So, I essentially am the example you gave. How am I killing myself or anyone else? Or was I supposed to be gaining weight?
    [/quote]

Actually you are consuming 30-35% from fat, except for the days you eat fries and chips. And even still, 40% is still a far cry from 70%.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    @TimeForMe99

I want to clarify that I'm not sure 70% fat is a good idea either, because it's extremely unlikely you're meeting your micronutrient requirements.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Where is your basis for asserting that the information in our thread is dangerous?
    Additionally, obese people may use lbm instead of total bodyweight but even still, considering that .35/lb is the minimum recommended value I don't see anything in that thread as being potentially dangerous.

Why is .35g per pound considered the minumum valiue? According to whom?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, on 1700 calories, what's wrong with 40% fat, if you're getting good fat from whole foods?

I don't really worry about my macros much, but every once in a while I look at the pie hcarts on the app. And week after week, without me planning it, I'm coming up at about 40% of calories from fat. I feel good, I don't feel deprived, and I'm not worried about not getting micronutrients. I eat lots of nutrient-filled foods with my fats -and eat lots of nutrient-filled fats, like nuts and seeds.

All the research I've found, digging through the nutrition databases at my university, keeps coming back with the finding that the FAT IS EVIL mentality is simply not supported by evidence.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Because being extreme is the fad du jour. Blame the paleo/ primal folks for turning the overeating of bacon into a dieter's birthright.

Nope, blame that on the abuse of Atkins from last decade's fad diet.

Most hardcore Atkin's people I knew are dead.

P/Ps kick it up to a notch that would have made Atkin proud.

but what's your beef?

Clever pun or happy coincidence?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    nm
  • TimeForMe99
    Options

I will make a fuller response later as I am on my phone - but could you answer the question please.

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Every medical reference and study indicates that 25-35% of calories from fat is the max appropriate for good health and nutrition.

My question initially is where did your post originate? What is the reference? Certainly you can answer on your phone.

I'm at work right now but can someone post of GIF of a cat going "Rawrrrr"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please cite some of the references that say more than 0.35g is dangerous

And I said that I would answer more fully when I get to my computer.

Questions are fine, but they are better presented when not couched in hyperbole and are directed at the persons you actually want a response from.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Please cite your sources. It would have been very easy of you to politely PM one of us and ask us to provide references or an explanation rather than take the path you chose to take on this.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The USDA's website indicates 30-35% because over that people typically start getting fat from saturated sources. It doesn't say that 40-50% of unsaturated fats would be be unhealthy.

And you said that *every* medical study indicates that 25-35% is the maximum intake for fat. So I can't find a single article on pubmed that does not indicate that?! Challenge accepted (if I have time to comb through).
  • TimeForMe99
    Options

Please cite some of the references that say more than 0.35g is dangerous

And I said that I would answer more fully when I get to my computer.

At no time did I say that more than .35g is dangerous. When applied to people who are already overweight the percentage of fat from calories becomes excessive and can be harmful.. The accepted standard within the medical community is 25-35% as a percent of calories regardless of the source ("good" vs "bad" fat).

References:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262/nsectiongroup=2
    http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/150083/E79832.pdf
    Throw in AHA, ADA, etc.