Polite way to turn down dessert at your mother in laws.

Options
124»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, sometimes I think people that are constantly pushing you to eat is no different than people pressuring you into drugs, lol!!

It's tough when we visit my wife's parents...my MIL has food coming out of the kitchen almost constantly. Not to mention she will not let you keep your wine glass or beer pint empty after about 3PM.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    How about "that looks fantastic, but I'm so full that I can't eat another bite. Can I take a piece home for later?" Of course, not giving the honest response that you are on a new eating plan and are trying to cut back on sugar assures that you will continue to be offered dessert in the future. So the first suggestion will work short term, but not so much for the long term...

I like this one.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Wear a shirt that says..............."Today is No Pie Get Fit Day".............on the back have it say............."Get FIt Not Fat!"..................

If that doesnt work tell her she owes 20 bucks and as yummy as her pie may or may not be HELL NO!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Can I just say it's unbelievably rude to lie and say you want more pie when you are intending to throw it in the garbage when you get home? Shame on anyone that is suggesting it.

Best option - eat the darn pie. Please your mother in law, and enjoy yourself. Nothing wrong with an occasional treat.

If you really, really don't want any pie, just say something complimentary, then say "...but no thanks".

But don't lie about wanting the pie and then throw it away. It's disrespectful and wasteful.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So what is the polite way to turn down blueberry pie at your Mother in Laws house.
    (PS she even asked for us to buy the pie shells & bring them over) lol

"Oh here's a slice of pie."
    "It looks great but no thank you."

/endthread
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I dont think we should eat to please other people if we dont want to. That kind of attitude got some of us here in the first place! I think people should be sensitive to someone who is trying to watch their calorie intake and offer once and then accept a polite refusal. Having said that, if you WANT it and can figure it in your allowance, have a treat, if not say no politely but firmly.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have the best excuse ever: "Sorry, but it contains gluten and I can't eat gluten. Health reasons."

Works every time.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    full from the meal before, offer to take some home
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Can I just say it's unbelievably rude to lie and say you want more pie when you are intending to throw it in the garbage when you get home? Shame on anyone that is suggesting it.

Best option - eat the darn pie. Please your mother in law, and enjoy yourself. Nothing wrong with an occasional treat.

If you really, really don't want any pie, just say something complimentary, then say "...but no thanks".

But don't lie about wanting the pie and then throw it away. It's disrespectful and wasteful.

i wouldn't throw it out, i'd give it to one of my kids, husband, or have a small piece myself
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said give a compliment, and then politely decline. "It looks amazing, but I'm going to have to pass this time. Thanks!" If questioned further, just say you're trying to watch your sugar intake or something. Honesty is the best policy!
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "No thanks; I'm watching my weight." Or I'm trying to watch sugar, or fat, or whatever else is your goal. She loves you. She'll understand.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, sometimes I think people that are constantly pushing you to eat is no different than people pressuring you into drugs, lol!!

It's tough when we visit my wife's parents...my MIL has food coming out of the kitchen almost constantly. Not to mention she will not let you keep your wine glass or beer pint empty after about 3PM.

My mom does that--she owns her own cake company! It's a wonder she's still under 160 lbs! Not the beer though--they're not into drinking.
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I do to a waiter or waitress in a restaurant, I say the food was awesome but I'm just too full I couldn't eat another bite. Maybe butter her up by offering to take a piece with you, you can always put in the freezer and pull it out on a day that you can afford the increased calories.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Dinner was sooo good I am really full.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Save enough calories for it, then enjoy.