I may be chubby BUT I run Half Marathons

Options
Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    love it love it love it love it 1,000,000,000,000,000%.......
    you are awesome and i love this....
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    you just made me smile :):smile:
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You rock!
    We might look and sound like elephants coming by but so help me, at least we are moving our butts!
    I admire that you ran a half, people should look at you and cheer you on for having the dedication you do!
  • bartin32
    bartin32 Posts: 16
    Options
    You rock!! You in the right to say that. Keep going girl.
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I deeply admire anybody that can run!! Good on you!
  • Fat2FitACE
    Options
    KUDDOS TO YOU!!!!!:bigsmile:

I would give anything to be able to run, but alas my knee betrayed me. Keep it up! Nothing feels better than crossing the finish line...who cares how long it takes to get there!!:smooched:
  • HLovato12
    HLovato12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I envy you because I've tried to run and just can't seem to get it together....The first time I observed a marathon (in San Diego), I was in awe of the MANY body shapes of the runners. It inspired me because I always felt a runner had a certain athletic look and I was VERY wrong and it made me feel as I can do it too (some day!). Keep on, keeping on.....Secretly, that lady that was observing you, was only wishing she was in your running shoes :)
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You go girl! I can only hope to run a half one day. What I admire even more is your chutzpa! YOU ROCK!
  • jq526
    jq526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I'm glad you told that lady what's up! I like to run too, I'm not the fastest or the slimmest, but at least I'm moving!
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    I went for a 'run' today (c25k day one) and was really self conscious about it but the only one out right now was a lone fisherman and a park maintenance guy. Will be a few days before I have your confidence but I applaude you :) Love this post. Made me smile.
  • Denise8P
    Denise8P Posts: 23
    Options
    You are my hero ;) Thanks for sharing your awesome story :)
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making me smile today! Love it and so true!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think that they are really wishing that they were you but don't know any better. Haley (my 85 pound, black, German Shepherd) and I see the same man with the same white G.S. just about every morning that we run and we get the same scowl with no "hello" or "good morning" at all. I have given up trying to be curteous but am sure to wave each and every time we see him. Run on sister!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Gotta say that just because one is thin, doesn't mean they're in shape. I gotta a guy in my kickboxing class who's 280lbs (still carrying a lot of fat, but working on reducing it) and would out last lots of thin people in my gym for the same hour of work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ha!!! Love it!!! You have the type of attitude everyone should have :)
  • redrose129
    redrose129 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!!! It drives me insane to think that, in my own sort of way, I, oftentimes validate those feelings and judgements. For many months now, I have elected to only run very early in the morning, as not to be seen. I also refused to take off my jacket off in 100 degree weather. I have run a half marathon as well, BUT, I guess in a maddening way, I have been duped to believe I can not run.

You have inspired me and i'm going to take steps to work on my thinking here. Of COURSE heavier women can run! Thank you for the inspiration!!!!!

xoxoxoxo
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    haters_gonna_hate3.jpg
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! Thank you for sharing and go get em lady ;)
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Anyone who runs knows that it's not a skinny body that makes a runner. It's the internal strength, willpower, determination, and hard work. It's how you feel inside that matters. You are an inspiration! I'm training for my first 1/2 right now, and I can only run intervals, with a minute to a minute and a half actually running, and I've had to build up to that! (And I'm not very heavy) I look forward to the day I can run like you! Keep up the great work!
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    I am doing a 5K in June. I am very nervous about being overweight and trying to run. I pray I dont do to bad!