I may be chubby BUT I run Half Marathons

Options

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    right there with ya. marathons half marathons and everything in between. you all can watch my butt bouce 26 miles :) dont bother me none.

good job!.
  • hydelaa
    hydelaa Posts: 184
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to get me a bunch of crap, but whatever...

Why did you assume that this lady was thinking anything about you? And why did the other poster assume that the "skinny little girl" and her boyfriend were looking at her and laughing about her?

I know when I run, I don't much pay attention to anyone but myself. I assume that other people are there for the same reason. It never occurs to me that anyone else cares what I do, let alone that they would go out of their way to express it to me.

I actually agree with this. Maybe that other person was just startled by you running up past her. Or maybe she was in a bad mood. Maybe she was jealous about the fact you were running at all and she couldn't for whatever reason, but it had no idea with the fact that you are "chubby". Just a few thoughts. Not everyone has a negative mindset and looks down on others that are able to run. :)

It's the eternal optimist in me. :D

I must say, that I agree with these ladies as well.

While I give the OP many kudos for running, keep in mind that the word ASSUME has the word A$S in it...

There was one time recently, I was out walking the city trails when a larger man passed me jogging. Red faced, breathing heavy, not real fast but he kept his pace and kept moving. I didn't know this man but when he came to a stop where the trail meets the park, I couldn't help myself, I had to tell him that I thought he was AWESOME for jogging, to keep it up and have a wonderful evening. I think he almost stroked out from shock haha
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!!

You don't know what this lady was thinking...at all.
    You calling her miserable cow? How immature and judgmental of you.

Good job on your running, as a big person I get that...But you have a lot of growing up to do. This lady did NOTHING wrong to you...

Agreed. You have no idea what anyone is thinking.

Great job with the running, but most people who see a bigger person running think, "good for them," not "why are they running?"

It says a lot about your mindset that you assume judgment.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!!

Good job on your running, as a big person I get that...But you have a lot of growing up to do. This lady did NOTHING wrong to you...

As someone who's never been overweight, I can attest than normal-sized and thin women do not sit around making fun of the overweight. They might compare themselves with women who are thinner, or be concerned about getting fat themselves, but as with most things, people focus on people who are better off, not worse off. For example, if you're of so-so income, and making unhappy comparisons, you tend to think about people who are rich, not poor.
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The fear of being judged kept me from running alot sooner than i started, and i regret it. But once i put my music in my ears and hit the trail it is all about me and i pay no attention to others... unless i am admiring someone elses endurance as they wiz past me. Seeing others on the trail, whether walking liesurely, swiftly, jogging, running, biking, skating.. makes me happy that people are getting out and moving however they can. And it keeps me motivated.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I knew two sisters. The older one was always chubby but VERY athletic, the younger one was always very slim but very lazy....

the older one could run circles around just about anyone I knew, the younger one could barely keep up with half of us...

that taught me from a very early age that size means nothing and health means everything.

it just took me a while to apply it to myself.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For everyone defending the gawkers, when people give them dirty looks or stare, one can't help but to assume that someone is talking about them. if you are having a bad day, keep that to yourself, don't make nasty faces at people and stare at them and ruin THEIR day. I was taught from birth that staring is rude. I wouldn't have commented back like the OP because I don't say anything to people unless they say something to me first.

I wish I would have commented to the jerk at the breast cancer 5k I entered a few years ago. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer that year and I entered the run portion as a personal challenge to myself and to support the cause. I started walking toward the end because my of shin splints and the guy next to me commented that he can't understand why people couldn't run "2 miles, Come on!". there were survivors and people like myself out there running for loved ones, not because we were athletes. that was very tacky to me. I was too hurt to say anything. Fortunately, there was a woman near the end who cheered us on and made me feel better. It was my first and ONLY race, I'm not a runner.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've participated in races and there are people who can run much faster than me even though they appear to be overweight. I've had elderly people overtake me and I'm not a particularly slow person either.
    As for how you can tell what someone is thinking, well you can't but sometimes their facial expressions and body language give away their thoughts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For everyone defending the gawkers, when people give them dirty looks or stare, one can't help but to assume that someone is talking about them. if you are having a bad day, keep that to yourself, don't make nasty faces at people and stare at them and ruin THEIR day. I was taught from birth that staring is rude. I wouldn't have commented back like the OP because I don't say anything to people unless they say something to me first.

I wish I would have commented to the jerk at the breast cancer 5k I entered a few years ago. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer that year and I entered the run portion as a personal challenge to myself and to support the cause. I started walking toward the end because my of shin splints and the guy next to me commented that he can't understand why people couldn't run "2 miles, Come on!". there were survivors and people like myself out there running for loved ones, not because we were athletes. that was very tacky to me. I was too hurt to say anything. Fortunately, there was a woman near the end who cheered us on and made me feel better. It was my first and ONLY race, I'm not a runner.

Seriously???

First, not everyone assumes the worst. Someone looked at me, OMG, they think I'm a fat, ugly, racist that should be burned at the stake. Um, no. The OP did something. The person they were talking about looked at them, apparently in the wrong way. OP made an assumption. Probably both of them were wrong, but ultimately people need to mind their own damn business, quit biching about things and move along.

Second, I've been in races before and made similar comments. Sure, tone can impact how you take something, but so can your own frame of mind. Maybe he meant, "It's only 2 miles... you got this, grind out this last stretch and you're done." Why do you assume he meant that you were fat piece of crap for not being able to run 2 miles?

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I always think that if people are judging me, they obviously aren't working hard enough on their own workout. When I *try* to run it's along the Charles River with all the kids and athletes from Harvard so I look very silly next to them. Oh well!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

The fact is, it's assuming. And coming on the internet calling this lady who did NOTHING WRONG a "miserable cow" is pretty immature.

If people are going to let the way someone looks, or the look on their face ruin THEIR day...wow, just wow..
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The fact is, it's assuming. And coming on the internet calling this lady who did NOTHING WRONG a "miserable cow" is pretty immature.

If people are going to let the way someone looks, or the look on their face ruin THEIR day...wow, just wow..

I have to agree. This is ridiculous, folks. Focus on what you are doing. Just because someone looks at you "wrong" doesn't give you the right to start yelling at them and calling them names. I'm honestly surprised at the number of pats on the back the OP has received for this behavior.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Dude. A person you perceive as "giving you a dirty look" may only be grimacing because they're working so hard, or the sun is in their eyes, or they have just belched up today's lunch. A person who is giving you a "stare" may simply be zoned out, listening to her music, thinking about a fight she had with her boss or her mom. Maybe they aren't trying to keep anything to themselves because there is NOTHING TO KEEP TO THEMSELVES. Maybe they aren't trying to ruin your day.

I talk to people all the time during races. (And a 5k is my least favorite distance, because I think it's the hardest). I told a young 20-something girl at a 5k last year not to let an old lady like me (I'm in my 40's) beat her. I waited for her at the finish line and she thanked me for trying to rally her.

I don't know. I think you're being really overly sensitive.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Nice judging, OP.
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    you are damn right!
    im chubby but i can run and love running. i once told a guy at work id signed up for a half marathon and he actually laughed in my face and said ''YOURE doing a half marathon?'' and im like '''yes...i run every day actually...'' ****head.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

I LOVE this!!!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Haha this made me happy. :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    While I in no way look like a waifish distance runner, I generally look the part well enough. I always wonder why ladies on the trail give me dirty looks. I figured it was a jealousy thing, I never stopped to think they thought I was too big to be a runner. Hmmmm. . .now I have something else to filter those glances through.

Can't figure out what goes through us ladies' minds! I'm always cheering for the newer runner. If I see an overweight person running, inside I'm like "YES!!" Go get it!!!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 5K in June. I am very nervous about being overweight and trying to run. I pray I dont do to bad!
    Girlie, I am 80lbs overweight and I have done six 5k's!!!!