I may be chubby BUT I run Half Marathons

Options

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For those of you hesitant to enter and run a race, let me tell you something.

I run marathons, half marathons, 10k's, and 5k's and do look athletic and look like a runner. I also do not EVER judge someone on how they look. The running community is very tight and you will see every kind of person at these races. From kids to women and men in their 80's. Short, tall, fat, and thin. There is just so much support at these events. Trust me.... know one is looking at you or judging you.

Don't put pressure on yourself once you do finally sign up and line up at the starting line. People walk, run, walk and run, whatever it takes to have fun and get to that finish line.

Also......

While I was dying at mile 22 at the Rock N Roll marathon in St. Louis last October.... a 50+ year old woman with some extra pounds sailed past me and finished before me. She actually motivated me to keep it moving and get to that 26.2 mile finish!!

YAY! Thank you for sharing :)
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love it!!

One of my favorite quotes - "I may not be the strongest, and I may not be the fastest, but I'll be DAMNED if I'm not trying my hardest."

Keep it up!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to get me a bunch of crap, but whatever...

Why did you assume that this lady was thinking anything about you? And why did the other poster assume that the "skinny little girl" and her boyfriend were looking at her and laughing about her?

I know when I run, I don't much pay attention to anyone but myself. I assume that other people are there for the same reason. It never occurs to me that anyone else cares what I do, let alone that they would go out of their way to express it to me.

I actually agree with this. Maybe that other person was just startled by you running up past her. Or maybe she was in a bad mood. Maybe she was jealous about the fact you were running at all and she couldn't for whatever reason, but it had no idea with the fact that you are "chubby". Just a few thoughts. Not everyone has a negative mindset and looks down on others that are able to run. :)

It's the eternal optimist in me. :D
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You said what so many of us non-typical runners have thought many times.
  • Keebler1976
    Keebler1976 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great post, I to am a chubby runner 6'4" 265.. I always wonder if ppl are running with me or away from me when i'm in my running gear on the trails..lol, Keep running !!! no matter how fast or slow you are, you are still running faster then anyone on a couch !!! Rock on MFP 's !!! feel free to add me the more support the better Cheer's !!
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    love it! YOU ROCK!!!! I'm running my first 5k this sat, and already got "YOU'RE A RUNNER?". Some people really suck! I think its great you're doing half marathons :-) Here's to many more miles!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why did you assume that this lady was thinking anything about you? And why did the other poster assume that the "skinny little girl" and her boyfriend were looking at her and laughing about her?

I know when I run, I don't much pay attention to anyone but myself. I assume that other people are there for the same reason. It never occurs to me that anyone else cares what I do, let alone that they would go out of their way to express it to me.

This was my immediate thought, too. How the hell does the OP know what the person was thinking?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

No one likes to be stared at, much less made fun of, but your referring to another woman as a "miserable cow" doesn't help matters. In fact, it suggests you could be just as vicious and judgmental were the running shoe on the other foot.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well written. Good job!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

^^^Love this... Great outlook!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

This was my immediate thought, too. How the hell does the OP know what the person was thinking?

I don't usually pay too much attention to other people either. If I saw someone who was obese and running, I would be happy not to have to run with that amount of weight, but I would appreciate the person's determination.

Some people also may be concerned that an obese person is going to blow out his or her joints. Running is an injury-laden sport, even for normal-sized folks.
  • 61keys
    61keys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I ran my first last fall. My son, a real runner (LOL), decided we would do a little run together for my birthday. I don't have to assume. People spoke out and asked me if I really did it. When I wear my shirt out I do get strange looks as they read the shirt, look me over, read again, look again - I must assume then.
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!! Why is it that non runners think you have to be thin and be an elite runner just to run. I am by no means a Kenyan but I get out there. It doesnt matter if you can complete with an amazing time or if it takes you alot longer then the "AVERAGE JOE" you are getting out there and having fun (well most times having fun) And Dead Last Finish is greater then did not finish, which trumps did ntot start!!

I love this post/comment!! I am the same way. I have done many races including 5K, 8K, 10K and 1/2 marathons and I'm always wondering if the skinnies are like "what the hell is she doing running? She's way too fat!" They can bite me..ha, ha.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    GOOD ON YA!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Read so many studies that a little extra weight as far as health and life span goes is a really positive thing. It's sort of unnatural to be "ripped/shredded". Congratulations on your run :) After 2 knee surgeries and the doctor telling me I have abnormal meniscus I have to restrict my distances.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I am by no means a great runner like you but that happened to me yesterday. This skinny little girl gave me the dirtiest look as she was eating a plate of pancakes. I was like, really? I am bettering myself and you have the gall to give me that look. She then snickered to her boyfriend right in front of me. It was hurtful and really rude. Hope her metabolism never slows down.

Yeah, her reaction was rude, but why do you think she has that attitude? Newsflash: Most people do become overweight because they overeat.

I suggest growing a thicker skin.
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    You are AWESOME!!
  • kooky34
    kooky34 Posts: 4
    Options
    Totally agree with you 100%! Getting out there and doing it is much better than just sitting on the couch, and you feel better about yourself. Good for you!!!
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!! Good for you for putting that miserable you know what in her place! :flowerforyou:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow MFP members and fellow runners. Have you ever gone out for a run and had people look at you and you can tell that they are thinking "Why is that person running they are over weight?" I was out training for a race a few weeks back and I got the dirtiest look from some lady walking along the path. So me the smartie pants that I am said very loud so the miserable cow could hear me "Hey I might be chubby but I can run half marathons" Yep pretty sure that made her think again before judging people!!

You don't know what this lady was thinking...at all.
    You calling her miserable cow? How immature and judgmental of you.

Good job on your running, as a big person I get that...But you have a lot of growing up to do. This lady did NOTHING wrong to you...