What to do after I finish Insanity?

Options
13»

Replies

• Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I do actually want to lift weights at the gym but the problem is, I really don't know how... Plus I don't really have the guts to go in the weights area because the majority of them are men. I feel self-conscious for some reason, lol! I really want to do the weights where you do squats, I just wish I knew how. I was thinking of just doing free weights. There's also a class at the gym called body pump, I used to do that but I feel like it's not that much of a challenge for me. Maybe I need heavier weights for that class.

I would say since you want to lose more weight AND lift some weights, do the p90x Lean Routine. that way you only have to worry about going to the gym to lift 2wice a week.
  • chrisvinci
    Options
    You can take a break from Insanity to do different workouts. And do it again in the future if you desire. I've done the 60 days one time and now I just randomly do an Insanity workout every few days as part of my weekly workout routine.
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I do actually want to lift weights at the gym but the problem is, I really don't know how... Plus I don't really have the guts to go in the weights area because the majority of them are men. I feel self-conscious for some reason, lol! I really want to do the weights where you do squats, I just wish I knew how. I was thinking of just doing free weights. There's also a class at the gym called body pump, I used to do that but I feel like it's not that much of a challenge for me. Maybe I need heavier weights for that class.

Check out http://www.niashanks.com/

Her beautiful badass series is pretty badass! :D She also weight routines at all different levels. I definitely think you should add in some weights too. You'll feel like a beast heading into that weights area!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a few personal training sessions and tell them that you want to focus on lifting form/routines, etc. Most will be glad to help you develop a program that you can do on your own, and show you the proper form, etc.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Second - you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. You can strengthen the muscles you already have, but to gain new muscle, you'd have to be eating at a caloric surplus.

When people say stuff like this, it makes me think that they are sprouting new muscles out of their backs or something.

Seriously, use some common sense. Your body doesn't measure your energy calorie for calorie, and then turn on/off the muscle building switch. If you lift, you will build/strengthen muscles, as long as you are not starving yourself. You won't get huge without a surplus, but I doubt that's what the OP is going for anyway.
  • deasher
    deasher Posts: 3
    Options
    I only have 13 days left of Insanity. I can't believe I am almost done! Should I just go back to the gym and do my normal workouts again? I usually go to the gym classes doing the body pump and bootcamp classes along with some cardio. I went to the bootcamp class recently and it was not a challenge at all! Surprisingly! I usually get really exhausted. I guess Insanity helped me A LOT with my endurance. If I do just go back to the gym am I still going to be able to maintain my weight and muscles that I've gained? I don't want my body to change all of a sudden after not doing Insanity anymore after the 63 days. So what do you guys suggest?

im on my third round of insanity.... and i also recently introduced hip hop abs to my insanity month one training and im doing fine... i have 2 kids one 12 the other 9months and my hubby i also consider a big kid... so i dont have time for gym!! you should probably try asylum or T25....
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Second - you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit. You can strengthen the muscles you already have, but to gain new muscle, you'd have to be eating at a caloric surplus.

When people say stuff like this, it makes me think that they are sprouting new muscles out of their backs or something.

Seriously, use some common sense. Your body doesn't measure your energy calorie for calorie, and then turn on/off the muscle building switch. If you lift, you will build/strengthen muscles, as long as you are not starving yourself. You won't get huge without a surplus, but I doubt that's what the OP is going for anyway.

False... the average person may gain strength while not increasing muscle mass in a deficit. Strength =/= muscle mass necessarily. You can minimize loss of LBM and gain strength while in a deficit due to strength training and adequate protein, but you won't be gaining any notable amount of muscle mass and most likely you won't be gaining ANY mass, you will just be losing fat which can make the appearance of muscles more defined and seem larger.

Your body operates by the laws of thermodynamics, please explain to me how it doesn't measure your energy calorie for calorie... does it round to the nearest 5 or 10?
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I only have 13 days left of Insanity. I can't believe I am almost done! Should I just go back to the gym and do my normal workouts again? I usually go to the gym classes doing the body pump and bootcamp classes along with some cardio. I went to the bootcamp class recently and it was not a challenge at all! Surprisingly! I usually get really exhausted. I guess Insanity helped me A LOT with my endurance. If I do just go back to the gym am I still going to be able to maintain my weight and muscles that I've gained? I don't want my body to change all of a sudden after not doing Insanity anymore after the 63 days. So what do you guys suggest?

Eat a doughnut?
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is what I did:

March 2012 - Mid-August 2012 NROL4W

Mid-August - January 2013 - 2 round of Insanity

Feb - current - NROL4W and Insanity twice a week.

At this point, I don't think I'll really ever just "go to the gym" without having an actual program to go off of. I feel so much better about what I've done and where I'm going with a plan. I'd do a lifting program, then after you finish it (and I mean finish it...not do it for 4 weeks and then decide that you don't look like a fitness model yet so then freak out and quit and start something else), assess where you are and go from there. Good luck!

Thank you- this sounds like a pretty good plan and how I envision moving forward...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Slam a beer.

Then start lifting heavy.

You, sir, are awesome.
    My favorite reply! :drinker:
  • daytonafitmom
    daytonafitmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did Chalean Extreme after Insanity (well, after Asylum), cause I wanted weights. It's a 5 day program that does weight workouts 3x week, and then a recovery workout (and abs); and a cardio (20 min)/Recharge (also 20 min) the other 2 days. That would give you definition with the weights (no bulk, I just got really nice looking shoulders and arms/abs); and you could do your gym glasses the other 2 days. Focus T-25 will encorporate weights in the workout, and is a 5 day program. When I was inbetween programs, I took a week to do what I wanted (workout) and just did various things that I liked:) Great job finishing it!!!!!

Michelle:)

www.facebook.com/daytonafitmom
  • jahowell
    jahowell Posts: 67
    Options
    Im doing P90X Insanity Hybrid- I already finished one round of p90x and almost a whole round of p90x2, I get tired if the P90 cardios so Insanity has helped a lot mixing it up.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am sure they will have Insanity X, or Instanity 2, or something. Or switch to something else new.
  • kbrooks323
    Options
    Shaun T is launching T25 at the end of June which I plan to do. i finished Insanity a week ago and started Turbo Fire and I'll throw in some insanity workouts (month 1) when I feel like it - i think you need to give your body a rest from that for a while. I also do some classes and kettle bell

Oh nice, what is T25? How were your results with Insanity?

I was curious to find out more about T25 too!! I've heard a few people mention it recently so of course I turned to google to do my research haha. Found the beachbody website that introduces it: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do

Seriously?! An intense full body workout in 25 minutes! Awesome, can't wait to get my hands on this gem!! I'm going to join the 60 day beachbody challenge too i hope another once starts next month: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933377-60-day-beachbody-challenge-for-summer-bodies