why are girls competitive at the gym?

Options
i notice girls look at other girls at the gym with a "hmm... interesting" look
or
"eww... ill show her!"

how competitive are you girls with other girls at the gym? why do you do it?

Replies

• skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    OMG! I'm not the only one who notices! Lol, I'm overweight myself, and I see these skinny, prissy chicks who try to compete with me all the time! "Like, hello?! You have a smokin' bod & I'm the big one over here! Lay off!" -thoughts-

And I out-do them on the elliptical, hahaha. I end up on it before them and I stay on after they leave :P

I try to zone people out more. I used to be super self-conscious at the gym but now, I don't give a f***. When I'm the one drenched in sweat & looking gross from a killer workout while losing weight & other women are just a waste of space, texting & lightly walking, I'm the one laughing.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    That's women, isn't it? It's not the gym, it's just women.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are a connoisseur of the womenz too.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    lolwut?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never witnessed this.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I like to play them off of each other like prospective buyers of a house in a seller's market.
    "Jenny runs a 4/40"
    "You know, Tammy can lift a full beer keg over her head and drain it in a single draught."
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options

Hahahaha, sad but true.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, I have not experienced that. At my gym we are all pretty friendly with one another and respectful of each others space. Sometimes we watch each other for ideas. I only use the weights and take yoga classes (very rarely do cardio at the gym). Although back when I did do cardio at the gym it was basically walking on a treadmill, while talking with another friend walking next to me (while our children were in child care). We just did that if we were done with our work out and still had time left for the child care.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    I never notice other women at the gym.
    I am there to run and my goal is to see the littler marker on my treadmill hit the 5k.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I see plenty of men eyeballing each others' weights when they're lifting as well. We're competitive by nature, I suppose. Myself, I'm still heavy, so I feel totally uncomfortable making eye contact or checking ANYONE out! I keep my head down and do my thing.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Actually i AM competitive.

with myself.

that's what makes me better...I don't give a crap what anyone else is doing.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

I like to play them off of each other like prospective buyers of a house in a seller's market.
    "Jenny runs a 4/40"
    "You know, Tammy can lift a full beer keg over her head and drain it in a single draught."

Me too, but sometimes it backfires when the broad I'm telling is the one I married.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

winner
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    OMG! I'm not the only one who notices! Lol, I'm overweight myself, and I see these skinny, prissy chicks who try to compete with me all the time! "Like, hello?! You have a smokin' bod & I'm the big one over here! Lay off!" -thoughts-

And I out-do them on the elliptical, hahaha. I end up on it before them and I stay on after they leave :P

I try to zone people out more. I used to be super self-conscious at the gym but now, I don't give a f***. When I'm the one drenched in sweat & looking gross from a killer workout while losing weight & other women are just a waste of space, texting & lightly walking, I'm the one laughing.

Who is the one judging and being competitive?

In my gym the men are competitive, not the women. I compete against the numbers on my sheet because comparing myself to someone else does no justice to me.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    At my gym, everyone does it to everyone. I've noticed guys checking how much weight I've loaded to see if it's more than they'd lift. I have also noticed that guys will ask or comment outright more often than women about what I'm lifting. I attribute that to a level of comfort in the weight room, though.

Never seen anything but encouraging comments from the women.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    OMG. I know right??? These girls are always staring at me, and every time I get on the elliptical, they get on one of the machines next to me and try to go faster! Like, come on, you are obviously fatter than me, you can't go that fast! That's why i only have male friends, females hate me for some reason, they must be jealous!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow. Never knew how many mind readers existed in the world...
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I could care less what the other girls there are doing. I am there to be competitive with myself and achieve the goals i have set before myself. IF, and that is a big if, the other girls want to compete against me they can....but i am there for myself, not them.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't notice it too much at my gym. It's a smaller gym and most people are pretty friendly and motivating or the completely keep to themselves. Even when I joined the gym I didn't notice that much and I was definately one of the biggest people there.
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    I like to see other girls at the gym lifting. The only time I'm rude is when people (guys or girls) are hogging up a machine or weights because they're texting or watching tv!!! But apart from that, I don't give anyone looks. I'm in the zone and focusing on what I'm doing.