why are girls competitive at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If you're not wanting to be one of the best at something then there really is no point at all of doing it.

Umm, to be fit and healthy, maybe? Just guessing here. Oh, and to be just generally awesome. Maybe not the awesomest, but awesome.
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say the girls at my gym are competitive.

But there is this one small group of girls that I like to call The Ginger Squad.. (You know, cause they all have red/greying red hair) that tend to walk around, gossip and stare. The older ones stare at me, but the youngest one of them all stares at my husband.

And when I overheard them talking in their usual, "LYKE, HOMYGAWD" way, I loudly made a comment about how my ears were bleeding from stupidity.

And suddenly, like magic, they started working a LOT harder.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't let people throw you off your workout if they're looking at you, if that is disturbing your workout then you need to get mentally tougher. It's your body, your workout, your motivation don't let others throw you off your routine because they just sounds like an excuse and you probably didn't want to be at the gym anyway.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The only girl I look at while I'm at the gym (other than myself) is the collegiate hammer throw girl who works her *kitten* off and has beautiful muscles. I am in awe of her.

And then when I get home I take the cell phone pics I secretly captured of her and laugh maniacally as I photoshop my head onto her body.

...too soon?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it, I do check out what everyone else is doing. But, what the heck else are you going to do in between sets?

However, my thought process is not "I lift heavier than that, neener neener", it's more like "good for them for lifting!" or just getting ideas for new spiffy lifting moves.

I suspect that's what most people are doing, I don't think that they are all being competitive. Chill.

OH, I check people out...but not to compete.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I see girls looking that speed of the girl next to them on treadmill all the time. i am waiting for them to both face plant and fly off treadmill. It is funny. Girls have a wicked competitive nature against each other.

I just like to see the fall out.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Its one of the endearing qualities which women will never understand, that men love to observe.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That's women, isn't it? It's not the gym, it's just women.

Sounds like you are a connoisseur of the womenz too.

women can be twits. At the gym I generally don't pay attention to them, except this one woman in my Zumba class...she is so graceful. I do like to laugh at the girls wearing make up and trying to look sexy on the elliptical.

However, I drive through an undergrad college everyday and sometimes the girls are fighting hard over some dude who either doesn't realize it, or is pretending to not be there. Its funny
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Girls are competitive in general. I think its an evolutionary trait.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

OH, I check people out...but not to compete.

I'd totally check you out Crankstr.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

They gotta make the good babiez.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The only girl I look at while I'm at the gym (other than myself) is the collegiate hammer throw girl who works her *kitten* off and has beautiful muscles. I am in awe of her.

And then when I get home I take the cell phone pics I secretly captured of her and laugh maniacally as I photoshop my head onto her body.

...too soon?

thats pretty hot.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i notice girls look at other girls at the gym with a "hmm... interesting" look
    or
    "eww... ill show her!"

how competitive are you girls with other girls at the gym? why do you do it?

Sounds like girls... period!

tumblr_mhyl3hWiwT1rfduvxo1_500.gif
    tumblr_m5nkq4PSvI1rwr1bao1_500.gif
    tumblr_m1vgpaCjTp1qgbgzqo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mgzbn0PZMh1rfduvxo1_250.gif
    tumblr_mgzbn0PZMh1rfduvxo2_250.gif
    tumblr_lu7tf41BKj1qjd1iho1_500.gif
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. But if being competitive helps you to push yourself harder then why not?
  • ainsleybtown
    Options
    agreed. Most women are catty and jealous. Just the way it is. If you smile, most often they will smile back :)
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why are there women in the gym? They should be in the kitchen making sammiches.

305614_149156365210547_1390539354_n.jpg
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

That's why men are our slaves. They'd rather make everyone feel good and smooth over any jealousy than get ahead in the world. Now I need to have my cabana boy fix me a drink.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I am competative because I was seriously raised to be.....all my siblings are too. It is horrible when it is all of us together. I admit it, I used to eye people as a hahah! I beat you! But being on here and talking to others has made me take a second look. Now I look at people and think, you could be doing so much more weight or you go girl! I doubt my expression has changed but my thinking has....it is more positive and I like it.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking at another woman at the gym, it's usually because I'm admiring something about her (a beautiful physique, a bouncy ponytail, good form on a lift). And when another woman outlifts me, I say to myself "Hey, if she can do it, I can get there, too. She's awesome." There isn't competition between the women at my gym, we all work out together and cheer each other on. And when somebody achieves a PR, we all feel happy for her and impressed.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    chick-high-heels-treadmill-fail.gif