• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'M LOSING ON 1200 CALORIES!

For dinner.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've just decided to stop reading most posts about diet and exercise because there is so much just completely WRONG information out there. It's so hard not to try and reply to every one...but then I'd just look like an *kitten*. Deep breath and let it go (though it's hard, isn't it??)
  • MuteFox
    MuteFox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I did something similar lately. But it's true, the site easily took what I put in and automatically set me for 1200. I should be eating at least 1500. They should either fine tune their system or give a disclaimer, because it's very confusing.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i find this sort of thing quite judgemental. The sie doesn't explain itself well when you first log in and many people don't GET this at first, myself included. A message board should be a place where you can seek information and just because some of you hang out here constantly and have seen queries before doesn't make them less relevant.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I've just decided to stop reading most posts about diet and exercise because there is so much just completely WRONG information out there. It's so hard not to try and reply to every one...but then I'd just look like an *kitten*. Deep breath and let it go (though it's hard, isn't it??)

Thats exactly where I am at too. I had a previous username on here, I used to post a lot. I would try and help people, correct really bad information, if I knew for certain it was wrong. But I used to get so tired of being made to look a d*ick for disagreeing with the 1200 people. Some of the more vocal ones act like you are out to get them for trying to help them see that they don't have to starve to lose weight. This time around I'm not really bothering to argue the finer details now. I'll leave it to the more patient members....
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't find how to change from calories to weight loss in my Goals anywhere! Could some kind person please tell me? (I would normally look in a Help section before asking something so basic ... But I can't even find that either!) cheers m'dears!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Every time I click on the message board it's full of things like ''I'M GAINING ON 1200 CALORIES????'' ''NOT LOSING ON 1200???'' etc. Stop and actually READ what people are replying to these posts before making one. You aren't a special snowflake. I understand some people lose better on 1200 calories, but if you find yourself reading 2 or more posts that are relevant to you and your problem with eating 1200 calories, maybe actually TAKE IN what people are replying.

Alas, have a good weekend everyone! haha :-)

and yet... here is another 1200 calorie post. *shocking*

"Special snowflake?" Has someone read the road map post?

You deserve a sticker for doing your homework! Im impressed!

but FYI.. i will ALWAYS be a special snowflake, and you cant take that away from me. :tongue:
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I can't find how to change from calories to weight loss in my Goals anywhere! Could some kind person please tell me? (I would normally look in a Help section before asking something so basic ... But I can't even find that either!) cheers m'dears!

click goals, then change goals, then make sure you select custom before clicking continue, then you can change what you like xx
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    Well, my TDEE is 951... what ya think about that? (this is set to lose 2 pounds per week at sedentary lifestyle)

This is NO MFP crap.. this is MY TDEE.. which is what you are suppose to go by.. So, if you cant go by MFP's magical numbers.. and you cant go by your TDEE..

THEN WHAT?
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Well, my TDEE is 951... what ya think about that? (this is set to lose 2 pounds per week at sedentary lifestyle)

This is NO MFP crap.. this is MY TDEE.. which is what you are suppose to go by.. So, if you cant go by MFP's magical numbers.. and you cant go by your TDEE..

THEN WHAT?

genuine interest but how on earth can one have a 951 TDEE? are you small as well as sedentary?
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SSooooooo glad I used the 'search' function before I asked such a question!!!
    I was raised with no nutritional support from my parents and (my mother had food issues - now passed down to me) so her idea of a healthy eating plan was to peel grapes all day or only eat celery! I am slowly educating myself and learning to eat more (not binge) - take care of myself.
    I would hope that although these questions can get a bit annoying we can all show some compassion for those who really dont know any better ( I was one not so long ago) and for those that do and don't want to hear the advice just leave them on their way...they will find out for themselves soon enough :drinker: :flowerforyou: .
  • nannybubbles
    Options
    you know what.?.. well done... you have managed to get people apologising for asking advice on eating... on a support forum for healthy living.... and you know what else? we all need help from time to time... certainly everybody here...

and you know what else? i started by making it all up as i went along.... joined mfp on 1200... stopped losing ate a bit more... started again....as of this morning, i have lost 114 lbs... 314 to 200... one more to ONEderland... am i proud? hell yeah... look at my diary... the last week has been ridiculous because i have no appetite whatsoever because i am falling in love... at 57 and i can hear you all going eeew!! SUCK IT UP AND DEAL with it... nobody holds a gun to your head to read posts you can't be arsed to...

anybody who wants reassurance about 1200 are welcome to add me.... i don't profess to know it all like some... but i am more than happy to do my best to build you up rather than knock you down....

RANT OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Heather_Rider
    Options

THEN WHAT?

genuine interest but how on earth can one have a 951 TDEE? are you small as well as sedentary?

use this site, which is the one my doctor used with me in his office. my height is 5'6" my weight is 5'6" my age is 36. Subtract 1000 calories for 2 pounds of weight loss per week. You get 951.25

file:///C:/Users/Heather's%20Computer/Desktop/TDEE.htm

and im genuinely interested as well, because i get shiz for this.. and shiz for 120 calories.. so what am i suppose to do? how am i suppose to lose weight with support, if i have no where to start? or .... anything?
  • trudijoy
    Options

THEN WHAT?

use this site, which is the one my doctor used with me in his office. my height is 5'6" my weight is 5'6" my age is 36. Subtract 1000 calories for 2 pounds of weight loss per week. You get 951.25

then your TDEE is 1951 not 951. Your TDEE isn't your TDEE minus your deficit. Your TDEE is your daily expenditure. Your calorie goal is 951.

Terminology....
  • trudijoy
    Options
    if your TDEE is 1951 I'd be eating at deficit of 500 then aiming for a further caloric burn of 3-500 a day to create another deficit. I wouldn't be going for eating just 951 personally. I'd eat 1450 and then burn and not eat back.
  • Heather_Rider
    Options

THEN WHAT?

then your TDEE is 1951 not 951. Your TDEE isn't your TDEE minus your deficit. Your TDEE is your daily expenditure. Your calorie goal is 951.

Terminology....

pardon me for having bad terminology, but either way.. i eat 951. RIGHT? so, if i were to post that i EAT 951.. you would shame me for that.. .MORE-SO than if i posted i eat 1200...

so whats a girl to do?

(and i thought i made the .. i subtract 1000 to lose 2 pounds a week ... CLEAR in my last post?) there was no need to be rude.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay at around 1350 calories a day. I found when I tried staying at 1200 calories, I was really *hangry* ALL THE TIME, lightheaded, headaches, body aches, no energy to workout. And my weight loss actually slowed down.

When I bumped it back up to 1350-1500...I started dropping weight again. So for me, 1200 is too low.
  • trudijoy
    Options

THEN WHAT?

Terminology....

pardon me for having bad terminology, but either way.. i eat 951. RIGHT? so, if i were to post that i EAT 951.. you would shame me for that.. .MORE-SO than if i posted i eat 1200...

so whats a girl to do?

(and i thought i made the .. i subtract 1000 to lose 2 pounds a week ... CLEAR in my last post?) there was no need to be rude.

hypocritical, much. I wasn't being rude. In fact, in my other post, I tried to help you. Won't make that mistake again.
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    if your TDEE is 1951 I'd be eating at deficit of 500 then aiming for a further caloric burn of 3-500 a day to create another deficit. I wouldn't be going for eating just 951 personally. I'd eat 1450 and then burn and not eat back.

the 1951 is before my exercise. If i exercise, then i do eat back my exercise calories, however ive had two strokes from blood clots to the brain, so exercise is sometimes few & far between. Mainly its biking on a recumbent bike when i have time or just daily activity. I generally do not log daily activity. So, if i dont actually BIKE, i dont eat more than the 951.
  • Heather_Rider
    Options

THEN WHAT?

Terminology....

so whats a girl to do?

hypocritical, much. I wasn't being rude. In fact, in my other post, I tried to help you. Won't make that mistake again.
    [/quote

a one word reply to my question was RUDE. not hypocritical. I asked a sincere question, as you can see from above posts, i said i was interested. This is where we always run into trouble. Someone has a REAL question, and the person who replies with *ALL* the answers gets smart with their answer because the person who asks is made to feel stupid because she DOESNT know the answer. Then again, the reply of "Wont make that mistake again" once again makes the girl feel as if shes done nothing more than bother someone of their time.

THANK YOU. Im glad you have felt the need to make someone feel they are nothing more than a waste of time. You have successfully made someone with a genuine question, who has been on MFP nearly a year now, who was too afraid to ask a question..... feel like an idiot.

CONGRATS!

Ill just continue to do what im doing & GUESS its okay. If not, il figure something out.

WAY TO GO on helping another person who was in need.