STOP with the 1200 calorie posts ~ rant

Options

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    Quote from post above:

Same things with the stupid posts in which people assert that every woman, despite her genetics and goals, will not increase in size through strength training.

You won't increase size through strength training alone as a female. It takes far far more than just strength training as a woman to increase in size. On the main part we are trying to dispel the myth that weight training will make women 'bulky'. It's a ridiculous myth that should of died out years ago.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    But MFP has given me 1200 based on my current weight and losing 1 lb a week.

Also, Weight Watchers, which is pretty healthy and supports a conservative rate of weight loss, is also about 1200 for my weight and height.

Wouldn't a net 1200 calories be adequate and healthy, especially if I also eat exercise calories?
    yes it is....as long as you are making healthy choices with your food 1200 can work very well for lots of people and not everyone wants to become a gym bunny now or for the rest if their lives. Each to their own say I :-)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

Also, Weight Watchers, which is pretty healthy and supports a conservative rate of weight loss, is also about 1200 for my weight and height.

Wouldn't a net 1200 calories be adequate and healthy, especially if I also eat exercise calories?
    yes it is....as long as you are making healthy choices with your food 1200 can work very well for lots of people and not everyone wants to become a gym bunny now or for the rest if their lives. Each to their own say I :-)

But if you maybe did decide to try using the gym you wouldn't have to try and live on 1200 cals? Just a thought. I was a little chubbster this time last year. Hated the gym, tried to lose on 1200, couldn't live on it at all. I changed from an unfit lazy lump to how I am now. I know I am younger than you before you say it...but I have a lady on my FL, similar age to you. She eats around 1500 a day and weight lifts. She is a fantastic example that age doesn't have to be a factor. Any factor in your life can be changed, its just a mental game.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If MFP gives you 1200 calories to eat to lose weight..what are you supposed to do when you've reached your goal..1200 won't be fun to live on forever as you don't get many more calories to eat on maintaince.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Every time I click on the message board it's full of things like ''I'M GAINING ON 1200 CALORIES????'' ''NOT LOSING ON 1200???'' etc. Stop and actually READ what people are replying to these posts before making one. You aren't a special snowflake. I understand some people lose better on 1200 calories, but if you find yourself reading 2 or more posts that are relevant to you and your problem with eating 1200 calories, maybe actually TAKE IN what people are replying.

Alas, have a good weekend everyone! haha :-)

Don't you thinking adding this post was probably just clutter as well? Almost any discussion on the 1200 calorie issue has been done to death.

And by the way, the "you're not a special snowflake" comment is not even funny anymore. If you guys are going to quote a movie, please at least quote a good one.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    If MFP gives you 1200 calories to eat to lose weight..what are you supposed to do when you've reached your goal..1200 won't be fun to live on forever as you don't get many more calories to eat on maintaince.

That applies to any calorie deficit you're eating, not just 1200.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    do you even know what you're talking about? for a petite woman, 1500 calories is perfectly fine to maintain. isnt the goal to not eat like a cow any more? if you cant do that on 1500, idk what to tell you. factor in exercise and eating back a little bit more...where is the problem here?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    do you even know what you're talking about? for a petite woman, 1500 calories is perfectly fine to maintain. isnt the goal to not eat like a cow any more? if you cant do that on 1500, idk what to tell you. factor in exercise and eating back a little bit more...where is the problem here?

Who the hell maintains on 1500? Seriously? Are you like 4 ft tall and never move?
  • babydiego87
    Options

Who the hell maintains on 1500? Seriously? Are you like 4 ft tall and never move?
    so are you telling me the famed scoobys wrong then? because thats what it tells me.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

so are you telling me the famed scoobys wrong then? because thats what it tells me.

I don't know if he is right or wrong...I use a fitbit.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    If I have 3 meals that come to 400 calories each, that's 1200 calories. That means I have 300 calories for treats or snacks. Are you REALLY trying to tell me that's so difficult? :laugh: wow good luck to you, clearly this whole 'lifestyle' thing isn't working out for you.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that someone who eats healthy, clean foods will struggle to meet a higher calorie amount anyway. There are hardly any calories in fruits and vegetables, but a very high amount of essential nutrients.

Since when is the calorie content of the food more important than the nutrient density?

Isn't a 1,200 calorie diet of clean, nutritious foods more efficient than eating 1,800+ and including rubbish like pop tarts and ice cream?

A lot of you have the definition of "starving" all wrong.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    If I have 3 meals that come to 400 calories each, that's 1200 calories. That means I have 300 calories for treats or snacks. Are you REALLY trying to tell me that's so difficult? :laugh: wow good luck to you, clearly this whole 'lifestyle' thing isn't working out for you.

Are you addressing me?
  • chatogal
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that someone who eats healthy, clean foods will struggle to meet a higher calorie amount anyway. There are hardly any calories in fruits and vegetables, but a very high amount of essential nutrients.

Since when is the calorie content of the food more important than the nutrient density?

Isn't a 1,200 calorie diet of clean, nutritious foods more efficient than eating 1,800+ and including rubbish like pop tarts and ice cream?

love this :-) Was beginning to think there no sensible people in these forums...wtg :-)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

I guarantee you my diet is pretty clean and I don't struggle to eat over 1200 at all. But yes, I must be doing it all wrong...clearly it isn't working for me.
  • peachfigs
    Options

I guarantee you my diet is as pretty clean and I dont struggle to eat over 1200 at all. But yes, I must be doing it all wrong...clearly it isn't working for me.

Actually it sounds like it is working for you, and that's wonderful. I'm not judging your diet or your lifestyle. Unfortunately, I'm having to constantly defend my own.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and sedentary. I have physical limitations that cause a lot of pain. I'm hoping to start using my recumbent bike soon, starting at 5-10 minutes as recommended, along with my physical therapy routine of stretching and strengthening. Anyhow, I'm 206 pounds, and wanted to lose a pound per week, which landed me at 1260 calories.

My doctor actually told me to stick with 600 calories, so it's more than she recommends! I do plan to eat calories back and start adding in my exercise calories once I start. I was 1400 until i lost 11 pounds and MFP asked me to re-enter my info.. And YES, I have read the 1200 posts to learn and have learned from them.

You're really going ignore the advice of a medical professional who has examined you and knows your medical history in favor of some people who like jawbone on the web? If your doctor told you to go on a diet that restricted, there's probably a reason.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

That applies to any calorie deficit you're eating, not just 1200.

Yes, isn't that partly why maintenance is so difficult? My goal weight (i.e. my "normal" weight before I gained) sedentary maintenance calories are around 1300. To be honest, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do that and have been thinking of setting my goal much higher. Obviously, all of us who have been obese, are going to have to get used to a maintenance level of calories at goal weight, which is going to be much less than a maintenance level of calories at obese weight. I don't know if the actual number makes much difference. Is it just as hard for somebody to maintain on 2000 calories, if they were previously eating 3000 calories, as it would be for somebody to maintain on 1400 calories, who was previously eating 2000?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you, it's like now that people have lost some weight they've gained some guru status and the right to judge newbies! I find the whole "snowflake" comment quite nasty.

It's actually the self-appointed gurus who haven't succeeded in losing weight or who are on their 20th attempt who bug me. They tend to scream the loudest and with the most ignorance.
  • chatogal
    Options

But if you maybe did decide to try using the gym you wouldn't have to try and live on 1200 cals? Just a thought. I was a little chubbster this time last year. Hated the gym, tried to lose on 1200, couldn't live on it at all. I changed from an unfit lazy lump to how I am now. I know I am younger than you before you say it...but I have a lady on my FL, similar age to you. She eats around 1500 a day and weight lifts. She is a fantastic example that age doesn't have to be a factor. Any factor in your life can be changed, its just a mental game.

lots of ways of becoming fit or maintaining fitness without the use of a gym and probably far more sustainable over a life than using a gym, such as walking, jogging, cycling, gardening, housework, playing tennis, hockey, netball, basketball, skipping...heck anything that gets you moving, plus you are outside getting fresh air, stoking up on sunlight and much needed vitamin d :-) Anyway, as I said, each to their own and mine is DEFINETLY not gym orientated, but is health orientated :-)