I'm 44. Is it time for me to give up heavy lifitng?

Options
124»

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your DR. and see what he says. Maybe ask to be put in touch with a physical therapist who will know if you should make changes.

edited to add:
    I am 45 and lift as heavy as my body will allow.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My joints and tendons are starting to wear and tear, and it seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up!

I've just revamped my entire lower body workout to remedy knee pain, and now my elbow is giving me trouble after my upper body workouts . . . It's frustrating!

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Anyone else out there over 40 and still lifting? Has anyone given it up?

It sounds like it's time to cut back on your lifting until your injuries heal, and then proceed with caution. You might see a physical therapist too. I do rehab exercises in addition to strength training, and I love yoga. I strength train to support yoga and dance, not the other way around.
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My joints and tendons are starting to wear and tear, and it seems like every time I fix one problem, another one crops up!

I've just revamped my entire lower body workout to remedy knee pain, and now my elbow is giving me trouble after my upper body workouts . . . It's frustrating!

I'm wondering if it's time for me to give up heavy lifting and focus more effort of something more "age appropriate," like pilates or yoga. (I already do some.)

Anyone else out there over 40 and still lifting? Has anyone given it up?

HECK NO....I'm 48 and JUST STARTED lifting last year
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Sounds like that age where its time to start using the 5lb dumbbells lol.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I'm still lifting heavy and do not plan to stop anytime soon (if ever). You definitely have to listen to your body, but age is not a determination on whether I lift or not. I find that it is making me stronger, improving my balance and of course, helping me in the bone density department. It's also not too shabby that it makes you feel powerful! Lift girl!

WOW. Your picture and your age do. not. compute. I think I need to start lifting more, as it apparently is part of the whole "fountain of youth" program you have found. You look fantastic!

And no, I'm not a creeper. HAHA. :)

Yea, this!!!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mksfkbTPvM1qzwm6to3_500.jpg
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I'm 42 and just started heavy lifting and don't see stopping any time soon!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Maybe you're overtraining, and just need to cut back a little or take more rest days between workouts.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and still lift.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification: Yes, I am 55 and that is a picture taken about 4 months ago. Thanks for the compliments, however, I credit my genes in having few wrinkles because before this last year, I did not take care of myself at all. Lifting is awesome. It may not have contributed to how I look today - but I am sure it will keep me young if I continue from here on out. :wink:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Try to get your nutrition dialed in if you are going to continue heavy lifting (you should). Be sure you're taking a good multi, fish oil supplement, and possibly creatine if recovery is a problem for you. Keep your deficit modest and be sure to get enough rest.

99% of the time people think they have The Overtraining, they really just need more fuel and more rest.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 64. Is it time for me to start up heavy lifting? Yes. :-)
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    As you age, there is no doubt that you need to acknowledge that you will be unable to keep lifting AS heavy as you were. If you are able to bench 200 lbs at 35 years old, it wouldn't be surprising to see you able to bench 175 lbs at 45 years old without injuring yourself. The average person would still think you are "heavy lifting" even if it's less than you used to lift.

Muscle doesn't necessarily have to degrade as you get older. As I mentioned previously, most powerlifters peak in their 40's, so there's no reason to bench less in your 40's than you did in your 30's. In fact, the opposite is true unless there has been a significant injury that prevents you from training.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input - just the push I needed to line up a new personal trainer who can help me with adapting my weight training instead of giving it up.
  • sdobson08
    sdobson08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and it seems I get more muscle strains and pulls weight training than in my younger years. I have been told yoga would help with a lot of that...especially in my 40s. Thoughts?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, mobility work and flexibility work are your friends.

Also recovery takes a hit as you get older - make sure your routine has a volume and frequency you can recover from.

Other than that, there are no age limits.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, of course-- but you definitely need to be more diligent about warming up as you... uh... become less 20 years old.

I'd really recommend yoga as well, even if it's just one day a week. Flexibility and balance will do a lot to help you prevent injuries in the weight room.
  • GREEKSTATUE
    Options
    Im 38 and yoga has helpred me alot!!! It's not bad once you start doing it and your flexibility increases. I've been sidelined several times after shoulder and forearm injuries. Yoga keeps me going now. That and I don't lift super heavy anymore. I decrease my rest period every week from 1 min, 45 sc, 30sc, down to 15 seconds. Then add weight and repeat. Makes the weights feel heavy.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    That and I don't lift super heavy anymore. I decrease my rest period every week from 1 min, 45 sc, 30sc, down to 15 seconds. Then add weight and repeat. Makes the weights feel heavy.

Yeah, it would. :)

I've been experimenting with:
    -pre-exhaust using lighter weight for the same move then immediately heavier weight so 15 reps of light then 6 reps of heavy without a rest. Repeat for 3 sets with rest only after the 6 heavy reps.
    -continuous force so keeping the weight within the hardest part of the ROM eg shoulder press from 90 degrees to 70 degrees and no higher (as you can rest if your arm is locked out).