For the love of god women EAT!!!

Options

Replies

• castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You know, it would depend on your weight. I can imagine that my 5' 0" friend probably doesn't need more than 1,200 calories a day to maintain. On the other hand, there probably is something to the "I can't get enough calories if I avoid junk food" thing too. I have never had a problem eating enough healthy calories, but I was raised vegetarian, and I used to eat huge amounts of food as a teenager (and in spite of little to know exercise, I never weighed too much).

But the original post reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. I was in Peru with a group of about 70% Koreans (I'm not Korean, btw). We were doing medical missionary work in a poor village. As we rode in on the bus, the kids would point to the Koreans and yell "Mira [look]! Chinos! Chinos!" One of the Koreans (a teenager) grumbled, "If they say 'chino' one more time..." I told him to get over i

I think the same thing applies here. We are all on a learning adventure. We have different things to learn. I know a lot about healthy eating, but I have plenty of other things to learn, and I don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about healthy eating by a long shot. Let's give other people room to grow too.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have 10kg to lose and I was very surprised when MFP set my daily goal to 1200 cals a day. MFP should explain that these daily goals include calories burnt through exercise and that people shouldn't only be eating 1200 calories a day. Does that sound right?
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options

No when you first sign up its (for females don't know about males) automatically puts your calories at 1200. I thin she means that she just though that was correct for her until she saw on the posts that she wasn't eating enough TDEE etc etc

Not true! It generally gives you 1200 if you set your loss to 2lbs, or if you don't have a significant amount to lose and set yourself to sedentary.

Yeah... If I changed my goal to lose 10 pounds, sedentary, workout 6 times a week for 40 min/day, it would tell me to consume 1200 calories/day.

I mean.... I personally don't do this. I changed mine to 1500 and I eat back my exercise cals. But if this site is supposed to work the way it's set up... Then why. Why, I ask!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I only have that problem on days like today were I do lots of execise that eating my net calories is difficult, but it's always good to have some in reserve for rest day I think anyway :happy:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It is not surprising that many people who come to this site to lose weight don't know anything about moderation.
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hear Hear. I didn't get to this weight by struggling to eat. I agree that 1200 is likely only going to lead to binge eating. It is over-controlled eating. I am here not to lose weight but to change my patterns and practices concerning eating and moving around, which, ultimately, will result in a natural weight loss. I am allowed 2000 calories per day. Sometimes I come in under, right at, and sometimes I go over it. That sounds like real life to me. The important thing is that I keep plodding on, flubs and all. After all, a caloric deficit over the long haul is the goal. It doesn't matter if, from time-to-time, I go over my limit. It's my mental attitude that is most important, the ability to avoid the, "why try," attitude. There is always a reason to try. Always.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as all the 5'2 and under threads and no one feels they are able to eat more than 1200 just bc they are short.

Maybe those women aren't planning to train the way that you do. Just a thought.

Do you even know how much I train? No.

I do know that many put themselves at sedentary to which 95% of the time they are not. Also many feel they need to lose fast instead of having patience.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I used the default 1200 cals/day. I got a perverse sense of accomplishment and superiority in limiting my breakfast to an english muffin and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (190 cals); Lunch was a salad with tuna (380 cals) and dinner was chicken or fish with steamed veggies and more salad (500-600 cals) with a snack of a piece of fruit to bring me to 1200 cals/day.

Then I read IPOARM. And upped my cals to 1800/day (TDEE-25%). Now breakfast is 1 cup of cottage cheese (full fat), 1/2 cup fruit, 1/4 almonds and coffee with real sugar and whole milk (520 cals). If I have a 600 calorie lunch, I don't panic. Dinner is anything from pot roast with carrots & potatoes to chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes or an occasional pizza or hamburger. Food is good and I enjoy eating. And with at least 1hr of exercise daily (and don't eat back my cals) I'm losing at least 1 lb/wk.

OK, no offense intended but as you reach a lower weight, you will have to dial back on the calories. That's just a fact.

So many people here make the mistake of thinking everyone else here is exactly like them. We all don't exercise the same amount and intensity, we all don't have the same amount to lose, we are all different ages, different genders. What do people not understand about that????
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You do what works for you and I will do what has been working for me. 150 days, 47.2 pounds, BMI down 6.2 percent. You're life is different then my life. Do you have a gall bladder, do you have thyroid issues, or do you have my life? I limit myself to 80 carbs, less then 32 fat, and try to get in as much protein as I can. If it comes to more then 1200 then great if it doesn't then so be it. The doctor told me I was doing great and she knows EXACTLY what I'm doing. Why beat people down because that's your opinion. Just wish people well and hope the best for them. Making them self conscience and second guessing themselves DOESN'T HELP ANYONE!!!!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help when MFP tells people to eat too little. People come here usually when they don't really know where to start, and they do what the site says. I set my MFP stats to maintain and set it to very active (I'm moderate but don't record exercise calories) and it gives me 2200 or so, which I set myself anyway to maintain my weight. If I put in everything correctly, MFP would have me on some stupid low protein, low sugar, too-low calorie plan.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love food. I have a hard time staying under 2000 calories a day if I'm not careful. I tried the 1200 calorie thing for a couple days and found myself in the fridge at 11 pm eating everything that rhymed with cheese.

you binged on peas?

that's weird.

Hey, I like peas. And they're fairly high calorie too. Never thought about eating them with cheese though...but given what cheese does to broccoli, perhaps it can have a similarly awesome effect on peas. Will try. (Might even add a little bacon grease.)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be insensitive here.... Just trying to understand.
    The people who eat 1200 a day do so because this site tells them to eat 1200 a day. What am I missing here? Why would MFP provide that kind of number if it is so ridiculous? So the system is broken?

No when you first sign up its (for females don't know about males) automatically puts your calories at 1200. I thin she means that she just though that was correct for her until she saw on the posts that she wasn't eating enough TDEE etc etc

No, it doesn't. It only does that if a. your activity levels are sedentary or b. your select "Lose 2lb a week". The setting is based on what you say your goals are and is based on mathematical equations rather than a "one size fits all" approach.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Even on days where I eat only whole food, I get to 1200 with NO problem. It really isn't hard. Just think, three 300 calorie meals, and three 100 calorie snack. If you are drinking anything other than water it should be very easy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Not true! It generally gives you 1200 if you set your loss to 2lbs, or if you don't have a significant amount to lose and set yourself to sedentary.

Yeah... If I changed my goal to lose 10 pounds, sedentary, workout 6 times a week for 40 min/day, it would tell me to consume 1200 calories/day.

I mean.... I personally don't do this. I changed mine to 1500 and I eat back my exercise cals. But if this site is supposed to work the way it's set up... Then why. Why, I ask!

Because most people don't realise that you are supposed to eat exercise calories back and NET the calorie goal
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

it doesn't sanity check the calorie results based on CW and GW. they could incorporate that into the equations, but they haven't for unspecified reasons.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    They complain about 1200 calories a day. I wonder how would it be if they had to eat 2600 to 2800 calories a day :bigsmile:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I used the default 1200 cals/day. I got a perverse sense of accomplishment and superiority in limiting my breakfast to an english muffin and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (190 cals); Lunch was a salad with tuna (380 cals) and dinner was chicken or fish with steamed veggies and more salad (500-600 cals) with a snack of a piece of fruit to bring me to 1200 cals/day.

Then I read IPOARM. And upped my cals to 1800/day (TDEE-25%). Now breakfast is 1 cup of cottage cheese (full fat), 1/2 cup fruit, 1/4 almonds and coffee with real sugar and whole milk (520 cals). If I have a 600 calorie lunch, I don't panic. Dinner is anything from pot roast with carrots & potatoes to chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes or an occasional pizza or hamburger. Food is good and I enjoy eating. And with at least 1hr of exercise daily (and don't eat back my cals) I'm losing at least 1 lb/wk.

OK, no offense intended but as you reach a lower weight, you will have to dial back on the calories. That's just a fact.

So many people here make the mistake of thinking everyone else here is exactly like them. We all don't exercise the same amount and intensity, we all don't have the same amount to lose, we are all different ages, different genders. What do people not understand about that????

No offense taken. I re-evaluate my TDEE with every 10lb loss and change my caloric requirements. Regarding the many variables to individual weight loss, IPOARM takes that into account by assessing age, height, current weight, goal weight and activity levels.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as all the 5'2 and under threads and no one feels they are able to eat more than 1200 just bc they are short.

Maybe those women aren't planning to train the way that you do. Just a thought.

Do you even know how much I train? No.

I do know that many put themselves at sedentary to which 95% of the time they are not. Also many feel they need to lose fast instead of having patience.

I read your profile, so, taking you at your word, I know that you train more than most women do. A lot of people ARE sedentary.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options

Not necessarily. I'm losing weight and my BMR is going down relatively slowly thanks to the fact that I'm doing strength training (and therefore losing minimal muscle mass) whilst my TDEE is actually going UP.

I was injured and on crutches for a month and my cardio exercise was reduced dramatically (although strength training continued almost unabated). I was still eating 1900+ calories a day and losing over 1lb a week, which is eating more and losing more than I was at almost 30lb heavier.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    They complain about 1200 calories a day. I wonder how would it be if they had to eat 2600 to 2800 calories a day :bigsmile:

I hate to think about my grocery bills once I start bulking!