For the love of god women EAT!!!

Options

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I generally have already eaten 1200 calories by noon. I figure most people who say they struggle to reach 1200 are struggling because they have eliminated thousands of foods from their diet entirely and labeled them "bad."

When I joined this website, my intention was to find a way to eat what I wanted and eliminate nothing, basically. Portion sizes are another story obviously, but I'm cool with eating 1/4 cup of real ice cream rather than a vat of something low-calorie and sweetened with aspartame to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know, it would depend on your weight. I can imagine that my 5' 0" friend probably doesn't need more than 1,200 calories a day to maintain. On the other hand, there probably is something to the "I can't get enough calories if I avoid junk food" thing too. I have never had a problem eating enough healthy calories, but I was raised vegetarian, and I used to eat huge amounts of food as a teenager (and in spite of little to know exercise, I never weighed too much).

But the original post reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. I was in Peru with a group of about 70% Koreans (I'm not Korean, btw). We were doing medical missionary work in a poor village. As we rode in on the bus, the kids would point to the Koreans and yell "Mira [look]! Chinos! Chinos!" One of the Koreans (a teenager) grumbled, "If they say 'chino' one more time..." I told him to get over i

I think the same thing applies here. We are all on a learning adventure. We have different things to learn. I know a lot about healthy eating, but I have plenty of other things to learn, and I don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about healthy eating by a long shot. Let's give other people room to grow too.

Threads like this one...(even though many will misinterpret them as "mean" and "insensitive")...can be a crucial part of that "learning adventure". I know that a lot of my friends here credit forum "debates/arguments" for opening their eyes to important revelations. If everyone here misapplied Thumper's father's advice (and said nothing at all), many may never have progressed (or would have done so much later).
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hey, I like peas. And they're fairly high calorie too. Never thought about eating them with cheese though...but given what cheese does to broccoli, perhaps it can have a similarly awesome effect on peas. Will try. (Might even add a little bacon grease.)

I once had a pea salad with bits of cubed cheese and mayo. It as delicious. Probably not the healthiest food, but peas are healthier than pasta, so not the worst food in the world either. I'm not sure what else it had--it was kind of along the lines of a pasta salad minus the pasta.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    You know, it would depend on your weight. I can imagine that my 5' 0" friend probably doesn't need more than 1,200 calories a day to maintain. On the other hand, there probably is something to the "I can't get enough calories if I avoid junk food" thing too. I have never had a problem eating enough healthy calories, but I was raised vegetarian, and I used to eat huge amounts of food as a teenager (and in spite of little to know exercise, I never weighed too much).

But the original post reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. I was in Peru with a group of about 70% Koreans (I'm not Korean, btw). We were doing medical missionary work in a poor village. As we rode in on the bus, the kids would point to the Koreans and yell "Mira [look]! Chinos! Chinos!" One of the Koreans (a teenager) grumbled, "If they say 'chino' one more time..." I told him to get over i

I think the same thing applies here. We are all on a learning adventure. We have different things to learn. I know a lot about healthy eating, but I have plenty of other things to learn, and I don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about healthy eating by a long shot. Let's give other people room to grow too.

Threads like this one...(even though many will misinterpret them as "mean" and "insensitive")...can be a crucial part of that "learning adventure". I know that a lot of my friends here credit forum "debates/arguments" for opening their eyes to important revelations. If everyone here misapplied Thumper's father's advice (and said nothing at all), many may never have progressed (or would have done so much later).

This isn't mean't to be mean and insensitive... granted it does sound it.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Forgoodness sake, if I hear one more person say they cannot eat above 1200 cals I may scream.

My GF is the same. Logging with a different sight and claims she "cannot" get above 1200 calories... well you didn't have that problem before!!!

Just eat. Why is it so hard? Genuine question. I have no problems getting to 1600 calories in oneday, nay I could do it in one sitting if I let myself.

grumble grumble grumble... and Happy face :)

v6r8yt.jpg

I am kind.

I think there is a difference between what I am talking about and someone with anorexia which this post is NOT aimed at.

Apologies to anyone with anorexia.

I didn't think you were being unkind.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Its a physiological thing. When you eat at 1200, your body dials back your metabolism and burns muscle (that pesky tissue that requires so many calories to maintain) in order to survive at 1200. So the appetite gets dialed back too. If you eat at 1200 long enough, you honestly won't get hungry for more than that. If you try to eat more, say have breakfast of 600 calories, your body thinks you've gotten half your calories for the day so you won't get hungry again until dinner.

Goes to show why you have to follow your mind out of that mess, not your body.

Huh. A few years back I saw studies showing calorie restriction -induced metabolic changes resulted in increased hunger for high fat/ high calorie food.
    An overexpression of ΔFosB, signaling a NAc mediated adaptive response to calorie restriction, resulting in over-eating and "binging".

Oh well, it's been a few years so there might be new research showing a different response. :)
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options

No when you first sign up its (for females don't know about males) automatically puts your calories at 1200. I thin she means that she just though that was correct for her until she saw on the posts that she wasn't eating enough TDEE etc etc

Not true! It generally gives you 1200 if you set your loss to 2lbs, or if you don't have a significant amount to lose and set yourself to sedentary.

Yeah... If I changed my goal to lose 10 pounds, sedentary, workout 6 times a week for 40 min/day, it would tell me to consume 1200 calories/day.

I mean.... I personally don't do this. I changed mine to 1500 and I eat back my exercise cals. But if this site is supposed to work the way it's set up... Then why. Why, I ask!

Because most people don't realise that you are supposed to eat exercise calories back and NET the calorie goal

Ok I see.... Now if those 1200 cals/day people just ate back their burn calories, then it would be ok? And if they don't excerice at all, then basically eating 1200 is not so ridiculous after all? :)
    This site encourages you to eat back your exercise cals and follow your NET goal. So the ones who aren't doing that are doing it wrong?

Legitimate questions, not trying to be sarcastic.

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why those who are in the 1200 category are constantly getting criticized... I don't get it because they are simply doing what this site is suggesting they do. Sometimes it sounds like the ones criticizing them (not aimed at you, OP) are basically implying that they don't know what the hell they are doing or they have an eating disorder. And I guess they are doing it wrong if they're not eating back their burned calories. Or... this site's system is just slightly broken (going back to what WinnerVictorious said)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Girl who eats 1800+ calories a day here :)
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    just goes to show how much of this game is actually mental....obviously it's extremely easy to eat 3000 cals in one day with a particular mindset When i started on MFP i ate 700-800 cals per day and thought the very same thing....like how can I possibly EAT that much? However, instead of complaining, I took the mental leap and shoved the food in my mouth till I hit the "proper" cal amount which at that time was around 1800 to 2000 cals per day. No it didn't make me sick, because on some level, I knew what I was doing was for my own good..... but dammmmm everything in my head was saying like wtf are you doing? Well, i ignored it till it just became habit every day to eat what I was "supposed" to be eating. Now it is not an issue. I just ate over 1000 cals at Wimpy's. Totally NOT an issue any longer. I definately feel for those hitting that mental wall though.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    ... and claims she "cannot" get above 1200 calories... well you didn't have that problem before!!!

Lol, this is my favourite.

People obviously ate a lot more than 1200 calories a day to gain weight in the first place, yet now they are somehow physically unable to eat more. Yeeeeah right. Not really sure who they're lying to - themselves, or the rest of the World? Probably both.

:noway:

(Let me just add - this is coming from someone who previously ate about 200 calories a day due to severe eating disorders. Unless you have a mental health issue - there is nothing stopping you all of a sudden eat!)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    ... and claims she "cannot" get above 1200 calories... well you didn't have that problem before!!!

Lol, this is my favourite.

People obviously ate a lot more than 1200 calories a day to gain weight in the first place, yet now they are somehow physically unable to eat more. Yeeeeah right. Not really sure who they're lying to - themselves, or the rest of the World? Probably both.

:noway:

(Let me just add - this is coming from someone who previously ate about 200 calories a day due to severe eating disorders. Unless you have a mental health issue - there is nothing stopping you all of a sudden eat!)

Lol no my girlfriend does not have an eating disorder. I have seen her pack away an entire pizza, a whole 2 ltr bottle of coke and chips... shes just gone into weightloss overdrive
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Just as annoying as all the 5'2 and under threads and no one feels they are able to eat more than 1200 just bc they are short.

Maybe those women aren't planning to train the way that you do. Just a thought.

Do you even know how much I train? No.

I do know that many put themselves at sedentary to which 95% of the time they are not. Also many feel they need to lose fast instead of having patience.

I read your profile, so, taking you at your word, I know that you train more than most women do. A lot of people ARE sedentary.

Hahaha profile stalking. Love it. Lady you look awesome. Don't even bother defending the amount you train etc. Some people just do not get it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as all the 5'2 and under threads and no one feels they are able to eat more than 1200 just bc they are short.

I do know that many put themselves at sedentary to which 95% of the time they are not. Also many feel they need to lose fast instead of having patience.

I read your profile, so, taking you at your word, I know that you train more than most women do. A lot of people ARE sedentary.

Hahaha profile stalking. Love it. Lady you look awesome. Don't even bother defending the amount you train etc. Some people just do not get it.

There's no need to defend intense training, or the way she looks. I thoroughly admire the profile. The only to "get" is that not everyone who is 5"2' or under is active enough to justify eating the way that a petite woman who lifts and runs marathons can. (And if your training is some kind of secret that other people aren't supposed to "stalk," it wouldn't be on a public profile.)
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Forgoodness sake, if I hear one more person say they cannot eat above 1200 cals I may scream.

My GF is the same. Logging with a different sight and claims she "cannot" get above 1200 calories... well you didn't have that problem before!!!

Just eat. Why is it so hard? Genuine question. I have no problems getting to 1600 calories in oneday, nay I could do it in one sitting if I let myself.

Hi, pls show this to your GF:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804985-this-is-how-hard-it-is-to-reach-1200-calories

Another idea (my lunch today) is 3 eggs omelet with cottage cheese (1 cup) and avocado + baked kale chips. If you have a juicer add some fruit/veggie juice to reach a 1000+ meal.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

There's no need to defend intense training, or the way she looks. I thoroughly admire the profile. The only to "get" is that not everyone who is 5"2' or under is active enough to justify eating the way that a petite woman who lifts and runs marathons can. (And if your training is some kind of secret that other people aren't supposed to "stalk," it wouldn't be on a public profile.)

Wut?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Guarantee most of them are scared of eating fat, most people need to get it into their heads it's not eating too much carbs, fat, protein or even junk foods that will make you fat, it's eating more calories than you burn that makes you put on excess fat.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I used the default 1200 cals/day. I got a perverse sense of accomplishment and superiority in limiting my breakfast to an english muffin and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (190 cals); Lunch was a salad with tuna (380 cals) and dinner was chicken or fish with steamed veggies and more salad (500-600 cals) with a snack of a piece of fruit to bring me to 1200 cals/day.

Then I read IPOARM. And upped my cals to 1800/day (TDEE-25%). Now breakfast is 1 cup of cottage cheese (full fat), 1/2 cup fruit, 1/4 almonds and coffee with real sugar and whole milk (520 cals). If I have a 600 calorie lunch, I don't panic. Dinner is anything from pot roast with carrots & potatoes to chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes or an occasional pizza or hamburger. Food is good and I enjoy eating. And with at least 1hr of exercise daily (and don't eat back my cals) I'm losing at least 1 lb/wk.

OK, no offense intended but as you reach a lower weight, you will have to dial back on the calories. That's just a fact.

Not necessarily. I'm losing weight and my BMR is going down relatively slowly thanks to the fact that I'm doing strength training (and therefore losing minimal muscle mass) whilst my TDEE is actually going UP.

I was injured and on crutches for a month and my cardio exercise was reduced dramatically (although strength training continued almost unabated). I was still eating 1900+ calories a day and losing over 1lb a week, which is eating more and losing more than I was at almost 30lb heavier.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you, with your amazing metabolism.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    god, im so glad someone posted about this.

you CAN maintain a 1200 cal diet but only for about 3 weeks or so before your metabolism slows down.
    but what i hate and cannot understand are women and even some men eat a total of 1200 cal but also burn off 500 or so on the treadmill without compensation. its crazy.
    its a total recipe for metabolic damage and eating disorders.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Just to add to other ppl's discussion: I am 5.2' and my BMR is 1400+. Unless your GF is shorter than me, she should not be eating 1200 cal.

Pls show this to your GF:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804985-this-is-how-hard-it-is-to-reach-1200-calories

Another idea (my lunch today) is 3 eggs omelet with cottage cheese (1 cup) and avocado + baked kale chips. If you have a juicer add some fruit/veggie juice to reach a 1000+ meal.
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    Guarantee most of them are scared of eating fat, most people need to get it into their heads it's not eating too much carbs, fat, protein or even junk foods that will make you fat, it's eating more calories than you burn that makes you put on excess fat.

:drinker: