The wisdom of the young

Options
1PatientBear
1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
I keep seeing posts in here in which people are getting advice from 18 year olds, 20 year olds, 22 year olds, etc. I'm sure there are SOME in that age range who have been through a ton, are well educated and are thoroughly qualified to give advice dealing with medical questions, relationships, parenthood and other such topics. However, when I was 18-22, my friends and I were all morons who knew nothing about life and had no business giving advice. Now that I'm 40, I have been through more and am somewhat more qualified to give advice but I am also wise enough to know when to keep my mouth shut (current post not withstanding). My point is that when you ask for advice, know who you are getting it from and, if you are one who likes to give advice, know when you should be giving advice and when you shouldn't.

Cue the indignant 18-22 year olds.

Replies

• JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I'm 82, bow down.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I'm 82, bow down.

Bows down!! I'm on my knees!
    Options
    I'm 82, bow down.

Bows down!! I'm on my knees!

Thank you, Cat. The young ones don't want to play tonight I guess. :grumble:
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    Because they know I'm right.
    Options

You da king of my island, Celo, and you are technically older so I'm not going to argue that one. :drinker:
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options

Or just lucky that you didn't extend your age bracket much higher :P
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I used to be 99 for the longest time, then I became 38 again.

I was just as wise at 18 though.

Promise.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    AD - you are very wise.

cat - 26 is right about when wisdom begins. ;)
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    About nutrition? Nah. Some 21 year olds have known how to eat right and exercise their whole lives, and some 40 year olds have 40 years of bad habits behind them before they started trying to lose weight and get healthy. Age doesn't mean a thing here.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    AD - you are very wise.

Mmmmhmmm......well played friend! :)
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    About nutrition? Nah. Some 21 year olds have known how to eat right and exercise their whole lives, and some 40 year olds have 40 years of bad habits behind them before they started trying to lose weight and get healthy. Age doesn't mean a thing here.

And some 21 year olds are bad at reading comprehension. Sound out the big words sweetheart.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    AD - you are very wise.

Mmmmhmmm......well played friend! :)

:bigsmile:
  • alychil820
    Options

And some 21 year olds are bad at reading comprehension. Sound out the big words sweetheart.

Aww and some 40 year olds are patronizing
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

Yup. Wouldn't have had to be if you had actually read the OP.
  • alychil820
    Options

"I'm sure there are SOME in that age range who have been through a ton, are well educated and are thoroughly qualified to give advice dealing with medical questions..."

I'd say nutrition falls into that, more often than not, on this website.
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    18-22 year olds are dumbasses. I know because I used to be one.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options

"I'm sure there are SOME in that age range who have been through a ton, are well educated and are thoroughly qualified to give advice dealing with medical questions..."

I'd say nutrition falls into that, more often than not, on this website.

There it is. Thank you for proving my point. Nutrition is NOT the same thing as a medical question.
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    Age is just a number. I have seen younger people totally call out and school some older people and vice versa. It has nothing to do with age but everything to do with mentality and knowledge.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    In before the lock. This thread could get fun :D

By the way, I am 20 and I give advice all the time. I done went ta skool and everythang, so I *do* know a bit about nutrition because of my schooling. At the same time, I have seen people in all age groups, and I'm sure I myself have given some really crappy advice. But just like everything else, people should take anyone's advice with a grain of salt! I can see people getting all 'indignant' over this, but I am not going to because I happen to agree with you about most people my age, probably myself included not knowing much about life yet. It is just a matter of not having lived as long as you yet ;)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    In before the lock. This thread could get fun :D

By the way, I am 20 and I give advice all the time. I done went ta skool and everythang, so I *do* know a bit about nutrition because of my schooling. At the same time, I have seen people in all age groups, and I'm sure I myself have given some really crappy advice. But just like everything else, people should take anyone's advice with a grain of salt! I can see people getting all 'indignant' over this, but I am not going to because I happen to agree with you about most people my age, probably myself included not knowing much about life yet. It is just a matter of not having lived as long as you yet ;)

*watches the noose pull tight as her feet are dragged into the air over her head*

Sorry miss, you stepped in it.
This discussion has been closed.