How does your body react to unhealthy food?

Options
I have been living a healthy lifestyle for a couple of years now. My diet isn't perfect all the time- I will "cheat" occasionally and eat unhealthy foods every now and then, but for the most part I just don't eat the same foods as I used to.

This past weekend was my birthday weekend and I didn't go crazy all weekend, but I had sushi for one meal, and a cheeseburger and sweet potato fries for dinner the next day.

I am just curious- am I the only person who's body reacts terribly to foods like these now that I've been eating healthy for so long? I am having intense stomach cramps and can't seem to eat anything.

Replies

• blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    My body responds quickly to everything I eat. If I eat healthily, I feel great, if I stray (which I admit I do) I feel it right away - not dramatically, but I feel it, I feel different, I don't feel well. Just a testimony to keep on eating well! I feel fortunate that my body responds so quickly to what I eat, it keeps me on my toes. :wink:
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    My body freaks out as well. I got really sick yesterday from eating at a favorite local diner with my boyfriend. I told myself to just get the Caesar salad (it actually sounded good!) and I told myself that one bad meal couldn't hurt...I knew I was lying to myself and I regretted it.

It's taken me 2 months for my body to lose the cravings for fast food & generally bad foods. And I get oosy just looking at the Golden Arches, hahaha.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, nothing happens at all. My body treats greasy fast food and fresh organic produce the same way, as far as I can tell. But I've always had a bit of an iron stomach- I've drank the water in third world countries and consumed tons of weird street food when traveling, I rarely get nauseated or experience constipation or diarhea (which I cannot spell either....), and I don't vomit from too much drinking or anything like that either. I know I'm lucky and I try not to abuse my body, but it's nice not to feel immediate repercussions if I want something fried once in a while.
  • TreddersPT
    TreddersPT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My body reacts pretty violently, but I also have IBS which is affected by alcohol, and fatty/greasy foods. I try and stay on track most of the time, but always keep some immodium in my handbag just in case!! :embarassed:
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Now that Ive been eating really healthy for 3 years =, every time I go to a resturant I get stomach pains after I eat !
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My gut is still mad after pizza yesterday... I'm almost glad that's the case, it keeps me on track.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    PIzza is still fine, I usually have two pieces. Ice cream is ok in small quantities but I had a piece of ice cream cake a month ago and my stomach wasn't happy about that. I haven't dared trying full fat burgers (steak was fine though) and fries, frankly, and don't think I will, or just have a couple.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what anyone here is talking about, food being unhealthy.

When I eat "unhealthy" food. My energy levels in the gym shoot up and I can lift more weight. Why?
    Its calorie dense.

Most of you think that burgers and pizza is unhealthy?

lol ok
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    My body freaks out as well. I got really sick yesterday from eating at a favorite local diner with my boyfriend. I told myself to just get the Caesar salad (it actually sounded good!) and I told myself that one bad meal couldn't hurt...I knew I was lying to myself and I regretted it.

It's taken me 2 months for my body to lose the cravings for fast food & generally bad foods. And I get oosy just looking at the Golden Arches, hahaha.

Caesar salad = bad meal? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!

ETA: going to eat a Caesar salad right now! Thanks for reminding me I had it!:flowerforyou:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I had my first Ben & Jerry's attack last week since I started eating healthy 1 1/2 ago. I felt fine eating all that ice cream, but as the night went on I got light head and just generally didn't feel good. No stomach ache, but a woozie foggy feeling. I didn't like it at all. Won't be doing that again I hope ever.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what "unhealthy" food is. I have trouble thinking of any actual food that's by its very nature "unhealthy."

My body responds to food by going "yum!"
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I must have an iron stomach because almost nothing makes me feel bad.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what anyone here is talking about, food being unhealthy.

When I eat "unhealthy" food. My energy levels in the gym shoot up and I can lift more weight. Why?
    Its calorie dense.

Most of you think that burgers and pizza is unhealthy?

lol ok

Agreed...... I don't consider any food off limits if it fits my caloric intake and within my macro's.... but to each their own.....
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    I must have an iron stomach because almost nothing makes me feel bad.

Same here. The last thing that made me feel bad was undercooked Calamari.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Had you been keeping your fat content really low? Because a sudden increase in fat consumption can cause that reaction.

And if so, would probably be a good idea to increase your dietary fat.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't react any differently to calorie dense food unless I eat a lot of it, then I feel bloated and can have tummy problems. Greasy or slimg foods sometimes give me stomach problems too- cooked spinach is the worst culprit, and it's by no means unhealthy.

Also OP, sushi is not generally unhealthy, unless you're eating it fried or something. It's just rice, uncooked fish, and seaweed.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    *Waves to Kaleidy-Ky*

Most 'bad' foods just make me feel a little on the sluggish side but nothing super over-the-top. The only things that make me feel sick to the stomach are hot dogs. Some brands are a little better, but there have been some kinds that literally make me feel nauseous. I've wanted to try a hot dog since my last run-in with one, but have been so scared.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    *Waves to Kaleidy-Ky*

Aww! I'm famous!