What do you wear when you run? for the bigger girls

Options

Replies

• ilovesparkle
    ilovesparkle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I wore Lululemon yoga pants and loose fitting t-shirts. Lulu yogas really pull you in. They are, however, a bit on the pricey side. Costco sells okay knock offs. Also, I was a size 36 HH when I started, so I wore two sports bras.

Now that I'm down, I wear Lululemon compression yoga cropped pants and tank tops. I still wear two bras and am thinking of adding a third now that I am a 36 E. But I run A LOT more than I did when I first started, so I may need it.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good information here, so tagging for later >_> Anything to help with the bounce!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Definitely compression shorts or pants. I can't run in anything baggy and definitely not running shorts. i have been happy with my old Navy pants and Road Runner Sports shorts. I don't need any extra help up top :)
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wear these really awesome workout pants from costco. They are a thick highteck fabric kinda like a compression pant and it keeps it all in :smile:
  • nharder1
    nharder1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have Danskin everything! They sell it at Wal-Mart. They are pretty cheap, cute, and comfy!
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    I tend not to worry about my wobbly bits when I'm running because I like to feel free and not uncomfortable with constrictive clothing. That being said though, lots of support for big boobies is a must!! I wear my normal bra underneath a sports bra just to stop them from smacking me in the face and to prevent them from dragging along the floor when I'm 80!! :D
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    "I just pretend my thighs are clapping for me as I run"
    Best. Quote. Ever. :laugh: :heart:
    Anyways, I am a "bigger girl" and I wear the usual pricey, but durable sports bra (which I buy online at navy,com, macys.com, etc I look for ones that cover most of your top, like racer back shirts, to keep most back flab in.) and I like to wear tight to medium loose shirts, tight enough to cling to my chest/hips, not loose enough to look like I'm wearing a tent.
    For the bottom, I usually wear the spandex capri pants I bought some from forever 21, plus size section, they are amazing! Link here: http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=plus&Category=promo_plus-sport&ProductID=2027705061&VariantID=035
    They are awesome because you don't chafe in between your thighs. When it's super hot here in Cali, I'll wear shorts, but I always put vaseline in between my thighs to prevent from chafing.
    Hope this helps!
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    Oh and clothes-wise, I wear 3/4 length leggings, a tank top, sporty jacket, trainer socks and my running shoes!! :)
  • JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use a spanx super duper body shaper for my midsection and *kitten*. The difference in my running with and without it is really incredible. It's amazing when your gut isn't flying around. I get nauseated without it. For up top I use a regular underwire bra and a champion underwire sports bra together. Both are racerback. Im a 34 G or H. When I lost weight, my band shrank but my cup didn't. I wear a tight tank top, a light weight t-shirt and tight yoga capris over top.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    38 DD. I wear a jeunique bra to run in and compression tights most often.

I will NOT run/kickbox/step/etc without my jeunique bra. Holds the girls firmly in place and minimal bounce. Unlike other bras, it's not designed to be stretchy at all so I've had some of these for 6-7 years and they're still going strong. The company went out of business a year or two ago but you can still find them online.

If I have to wear regular shorts for a run, I use body glide on my inner thighs to prevent chafing (bleeding). For runs longer than 8-9 miles I will also use it on my braline and shoulders to prevent chafing there too.
  • MissNieves329
    Options
    I have to wear spanx tank tops and really tight yoga pants (i'm short so i pull them up high and the muffin top explosion is contained)

Same!! :D
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I am not heavy on top, so I can go with just a generic Hanes sports bra, luckily. Bottoms, yes, I get the lovely flapping too....even though it has gotten progressively less, it's still horrifying. I wear whatever I want and figure that you know, I'm running and it's a badge of honor. But I have found that my lovely pair of granny undies does a good job of muffling it enough. I just wear my tighter exercise pants and/or capri pants (when it's warmer) and long t-shirt to disguise the bouncing.....in the cold weather, my nice oversized sweat shirt.
  • thatredhead
    Options
    I wear spandex shorts or spandex capri pants, with baggier shorts over them. It keeps the bottom parts from jiggling and clapping for me as I run. When I played roller derby, I wore the same capri pants/shorts and they always kept me supported for hours at a time, without the dreaded chub rub.

As for where to purchase them, I have gotten them at Old Navy (they sell plus sizes on their website), Target, and on the internet (Just My Size).

Happy running!
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    I don't run unless I have to! But I do wear an under wire sports bra and a crop top type sports bra over it to stop the boobage jiggle when I'm doing a workout. I'm trying to find some well priced compression type pants, but they are either too expensive or unavailable over a size 16 (Australian). Our Plus Sized workout wear over here in Aussie-land leaves a lot to be desired and being from the country makes it ten times worse. Bag lady anyone? :frown:
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here. I second it - compression pants are key - shove that tummy in and it'll reduce the shaking. If it's cold out, you can wear another pair of loose pants over them. During the warmer times, wear capris with a top that covers the hiney (or shorts over them). You might be worried about feeling self conscious, but DON'T. No one will look at you funny, and the relief you will feel from no chaffing and jiggling will be worth every compression penny. Find a brand that works for you, the great thing about active wear is that everyone and their dog is making them: Target, Walmart, ShopKo, Sam's Club, LuLu Lemon, I personally love JC Penny, Under Armour - you can spend as much or as little as you want.

And get good shoes! Nothing deters a runner faster than shin splints.
  • noturbyrd
    Options
    Honestly, I just let it jiggle. It reminds me of what I'm working out for and I don't care who sees my jiggle. In a few months, when I don't jiggle people can just keep talking.
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you want to get rid of two sports bras, you may want to take a look at Title Nine (http://www.titlenine.com/) - they have a FABULOUS bra selection for all sizes!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just let it jiggle. It reminds me of what I'm working out for and I don't care who sees my jiggle. In a few months, when I don't jiggle people can just keep talking.
    Jiggle is one thing. What I was dealing with initially went far beyond jiggling and had nothing to do with vanity. When I ran, the bouncing midsection flab would make the waistband of my pants migrate downward and I'd have to hold them up sometimes to keep them from falling off. And yes, I tried various styles of workout pants but continued having the same issue of things staying in place. Even when I found a pair with a drawstring, it solved the staying-up issue, but the area between the waistband and bust was still flopping around more than I was comfortable with.

Another issue is that the more your flab bounces around, the more stretched out the skin gets. And I'm sure we all agree that is the opposite of what we want. If there was anything I could do to minimize it while I lost weight, I wanted to do it and my doctor's suggestion to use the belly binder was perfect. Not only was I able to keep my clothes on while running, but I was able to focus on my form because everything was well-contained and I even got faster.
  • Milliemocha
    Milliemocha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nike dry fit 3/4 length Capri pants also Nike sports bra medium to high impact are brill they don't need to be worn with a normal bra even if large chested!!
  • sammieraecain87
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!