Is it worth it?

Options
Im at the point to where, im seriously asking myself if eating right, exercise, and all that is really worth the benefit. At this point, I would honestly say no, its not. I dont feel any better. In fact, I feel worse. I cant eat what I would like to, and I hate exercising. I feel like im the only person in the world who does not enjoy going to the gym, and who does not enjoy eating healthy stuff. Im really questioning if this is for me or not. Like I said, I dont feel any better trying to be "healthier".

The "results" ive seen so far a small and in my opinion, not worth all that ive given (or given up) to get them. A few pounds.....in exchange for weeks and weeks of not eating what I would like to, not drinking what I would like to, and having to drag myself to the gym everyday......simply does not seem worth it to me.

I hate exercise. I hate going to the gym. Having to see all these people who are in shape. Even having to see all the people who are not in shape, but who has this positive attitude and blah blah blah. It makes me feel horrible. I hate being on the treadmill, sweating like a pig. I sweat alot. While other people leave the gym and feel good, I leave the gym and feel horrible. I cant wait to leave and go home. It is simply mentally degrading and I hate it, even if im there by myself. I feel stupid.

I hate how everybody else seems to LOVE making all these "positive" changes and all. How it all works for them. Honestly, im sick of hearing about everyones positive this that and the next. Spare me your success story.

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    TrollSpray.jpg
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You should start a thread about how much you hate dieting and exercise and then tell everyone that does have success stories to shut up. That seems like the most effective solution to your problem.

Seriously?

Grow the **** up.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well for you it is not worth it, from what you say?

So good luck and I wish you well on continuing on a life that will, most likely, see you in an early grave?

Nobody can make you change anything that you want to do, it is all your choice?
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well... your other option is to eat whatever the hell you want, drink whatever you want, get diabetes and die young. Is that more appealing than going to the gym? Maybe it is; to each their own!

Or maybe you're comfortable at your current weight and feel you can happily maintain. More power to you!

But something must have motivated you to join this site in the first place. You took the first step all on your own.

I do this because I feel I can be better and happier at the end of the tunnel. Why are you here?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining.

hZeTrOD.gif
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ugh, buzz kill.
    Maybe it's your attitude that's not working for you?
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

Obviously you haven't had peanut butter.

I'm going to finish mine, and then guess what, I'm going to go to the gym.

And then guess what, I'm going to be happy about it.

And then guess what,

I'm going to enjoy my f***ing life.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Im at the point to where, im seriously asking myself if eating right, exercise, and all that is really worth the benefit. At this point, I would honestly say no, its not. I dont feel any better. In fact, I feel worse. I cant eat what I would like to, and I hate exercising. I feel like im the only person in the world who does not enjoy going to the gym, and who does not enjoy eating healthy stuff. Im really questioning if this is for me or not. Like I said, I dont feel any better trying to be "healthier".

The "results" ive seen so far a small and in my opinion, not worth all that ive given (or given up) to get them. A few pounds.....in exchange for weeks and weeks of not eating what I would like to, not drinking what I would like to, and having to drag myself to the gym everyday......simply does not seem worth it to me.

I hate exercise. I hate going to the gym. Having to see all these people who are in shape. Even having to see all the people who are not in shape, but who has this positive attitude and blah blah blah. It makes me feel horrible. I hate being on the treadmill, sweating like a pig. I sweat alot. While other people leave the gym and feel good, I leave the gym and feel horrible. I cant wait to leave and go home. It is simply mentally degrading and I hate it, even if im there by myself. I feel stupid.

I hate how everybody else seems to LOVE making all these "positive" changes and all. How it all works for them. Honestly, im sick of hearing about everyones positive this that and the next. Spare me your success story.
    the what the **** are you doing here?
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you don't dedicate yourself to something you won't see any of the positive results... you obviously aren't a very happy person if you can't be happy for the success of others... It didn't take you a day, a week, or a month to put on the weight and become unhealthy. It's going to take much longer to take it off.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    TrollSpray.jpg

For sure, but you have to give the OP extra points for being so eloquent in his long winded post....

also you have to bear in mind that there is a 1 in 100 chance that he maybe serious?
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't take away all of your goodies at once. If you like a particular thing... say ice cream, then have some but portion it out and log every bit of it and make sure it fits in your daily calorie goal.
    I still eat pizza and things like that once in a while (I don't crave them anymore) but I just make sure it fits in my calorie goal for the day. I love veggies so I have them all the time but in many different ways. I used to think I had to eat them raw but I don't now, I cook them with almost everything. They aren't near as nutritious but... you give,.. you take....

Don't feel bad, you aren't the only one that feels this way at first... or during..., etc but it gets better and much easier.
    I still *want* to exercise but it is becoming a fight (with myself) to get it done. That's when I have to look towards the future and try to see myself healthier and thinner too.

Eating at a calorie deficit and exercise will take off the pounds.

Are you eating enough ? Is your calorie goal too low ? Are you hungry all the time ?

I'm proud of you for sticking with it even though you aren't feeling up to it.

I'm still sort of new so others will have much better information and advice.

Good luck !
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    sucks_to_be_you_square_sticker-rd239528376df464d9e33341b2b374f6a_v9wf3_8byvr_216.jpg
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't a troll, I am going to give you my take on it. I love food, I don't love exercise and I feel great whether I am 50 pounds heavier or lighter. My energy level is high no matter how heavy I am so that doesn't make a difference. What does drive me is how I look in the mirror and I do it please me, not someone else. The other things that drives me is that I am not getting any younger and I want to live out my older years in comfort and with excellent (not just good, but excellent) quality of life. Right now, I am not on any prescribed medication of any kind which is rare for someone in their mid-50s. I do take supplements. I don't have any aches or pains. I don't want to mess up my health and end up debilitated because I didn't watch my diet or exercise as I should. So I count my calories even though I still eat most of what I want (just less of it) and I go for walks and even joined a Pilates class. I expect that will help in the future. I know it helped two years ago when I had to have surgery. Even though it was major surgery, I recovered just fine. So it is up to you whether you want to suffer or you want to be healthy in the future.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I suspect you're doing it wrong. There's no reason to give up foods you love or spend hours doing exercise that you hate. There are tons of types of exercise. Surely not all of them would make you miserable. I hate cardio but love weight lifting, for example. As for food as long as you stick to your calorie goal you'll lose weight. It's not as hard as you're making it.
  • crabapplecake
    Options
    Wow. Exactly what im talking about. I guess if you are not having success and have super positive attitude about everything, this isnt the place.

I hope you all feel better about yourselves by putting someone else down.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Im at the point to where, im seriously asking myself if eating right, exercise, and all that is really worth the benefit. At this point, I would honestly say no, its not. I dont feel any better. In fact, I feel worse.

Do you actually feel worse? or are you just pissed off because sometimes we have to sacrifice one thing we want in order to have another?

i don't love giving up having a whole pizza every weekend with a bottle of coke
    i don't love giving up those humongous extra syrupy yes on the whip cream chocolate chip starbucks frappamochachinowhatevers
    i don't love limiting myself to 14 pretzel sticks instead of just eating a whole bag of Doritos
    I don't love driving past the fast food restaurants without coming home with a few burgers, nuggets, fries, onion rings, sodas
    i don't love looking in the mirror after a week of eating well and feeling like nothing has changed
    I don't love the gym (so i go outside instead.)

i do love having the energy to walk from the parking lot to the store at the other side of the mall without loosing my breath
    i do love waking up in the morning and having a very average poop instead of a belly ache
    I do love the feeling 5 minutes after I pass the fast food restaurants and can pat myself on the back for not stopping
    i do love that feeling i get after i spent time preparing a healthy meal, and I can sit down and eat a huge bowl of food without the slightest feeling of guilt
    i do love the way my skin and hair looks
    you will notice none of those "loves" have anything to do with weight

of course, I also love how much better my body looks after a 95 pounds loss, but I've been fighting the same 2 pounds now for a month... am I giving up just because i don't "see" progress for a few weeks? nope.

I will admit, if your only goal is weight loss, this is going to be a lot harder mentally that it needs to be. However, if your goal is health, with weight loss as a side effect of being healthy, it feels much easier.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You've only just joined this site so you need to give yourself time. Maybe you're jumping in too quick with drastically trying to change your current diet and exercise habits.

Your ticker says you want to lose 50lbs so you need to work out your TDEE and -20% so that you can work out how many calories you can eat in a day and lose weight. You may be able to eat more than you think you can and this might make it easier for you to slowly change over to healthier foods.

If you really don't like the gym then don't go. Take walks and leave the more strenuous workouts for when you have lost a few lbs, feel better mentally about yourself and are ready to take the next step.

Weight loss is not a race, its a long term lifestyle change so go easy on yourself and accept that you will have good days, bad days and that you can still reach your goals
  • OldManOfTheSea
    OldManOfTheSea Posts: 33 Member
    Options

tumblr_loeujwZKWi1qgrpnho1_500.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_loeujwZKWi1qgrpnho1_500.jpg

:laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    s15oJ8N.gif