• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Oops again.

ooooooppppssssiiiieeessss
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I understand. I just shared similar info on my home page. Moving into this healthier lifestyle has made me feel very self-conscious and down right bad about who I am. I've been at this since September 12 and I have only lost and kept off 17 pounds. I know I have to do something or the extra 130 pounds that I carry will kill me. I currently am 47 yrs old and one knee is gone. I always hurt from my neck down. At first, I thought about having a weight loss surgery. Then I decided that I can do this by myself. I joined a TOPS Club (Take Off Pound Sensibly). These ladies are very nice and really help support you. Several of them have lost 100+ ponds with no surgery but it has taken them years. I feel more guilty now for eating something that I shouldn't, for gaining instead of losing, and for making endless bad choices. The working out issue isn't a big deal for me as I do water aerobics with a group of sweethearts. This is the only exercise I can do right now. Lately, I only been going 1 time a week which adds more guilt since my boyfriend pays for the membership.

Attitude might be our problem. Mine is so inconsistent. Maybe I should go the weight loss surgery route and get feeling better about myself faster. Is it worth it...yes, it probably is. Is it going to be easy--no. Is it easier to be successful with a positive attitude...it probably is. I wish I was Sabrina the Witch so I could just wiggle my nose and the change is complete.

Ignore the negatives that are coming from this thread. These people odviously have had great success, never had a negative day, always loved exercise and have never messed up. Hang in there and feel free to add me. Best wishes.

We all have negative days. I am having a pretty f-ing terrible one right now. Had the OP posted about their frustrations without tearing down all those who have success or are positive, the thread would have went a completely different direction. He specifically said he didn't want positive. There are always tons of frustrated threads on here and most of them turn out pretty freaking positive. Its a pretty supportive place. I take issue with someone who has a problem with that.

I had a totally different response to OP when I first started reading. Once I go to the end, it obviously wasn't what the OP was looking for.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    so we aren't supposed to be positive here but take that positivity elsewhere....

yet we can't be rude and tell you to give up like you are whining you want to.....

what the heck do you WANT from us then?

Frankly, if you are miserable, then you are doing it wrong, this shouldn't be miserable.

So take a good hard look at yourself and what you are doing and start tweaking it...

maybe eat more food...maybe switch up your work outs.

I can tell you that I didn't like heavy lifting when I start it (GASP...no way...yeah I said it...I didn't like it....but I tweaked it and how I do it and now I LOVE it.)

i hated running as a kid...now I have found ways in which I LOVE it....

I eat foods that I love and crave and make them fit into my diary....

so get to it...nothing ever worth having was free...we have to WORK for it...that's what makes it so valuable to have.

so...do it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Oops again.

ooooooppppssssiiiieeessss
    ACCIDENTAL QUOTING IS THE WORST. GAWD.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Gotta have the right attitude love. If this ain't for you then it ain't for you. Simple as that.
  • slender20
    slender20 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You do not have to go to the gym if you hate it, there are lots and lots of other things you can do to be active, running, walking, swimming, dancing, tennis, volleyball, cycling etc. Literally hundreds of things. Perhaps even start small try different things once or twice and see what activity you enjoy doing. I belive there is some kind of activity for anyone you'll just have to find out what it is for you.

Also, do not change your diet from all the things you enjoy to food you do not enjoy, be it healthy or not. Just try portion control and you can still eat cake, chocloate or whatever you fancy just not that much.

What I find; and this is nothing to do with positive thinking, that even if you do not enjoy what you are doing or eating, if you keep doing it eventually you will lose weight. It is a biological fact that if we consume less and move more we must lose weight eventually. So, even if you not like what your are doing, keep doing it and you will lose weight. That is not positive talk at all but the way it can be if that is what you want. I would prefer to have fun with a great activiy and food I enjoy, but that is up to you really and only you.

The truth is that whether you like it or not you have to decide if you would rather stay larger than you are now and try to find happiness in that or do something about and try if you can to enjoy this too. You just have to make sure that you work on starting to love yourself, large or small. This is a long, long process and for some it never happens, but if you do not try, you will just never know.

I wish you lots of luck and do not give up on yourself whichever way you decide to do this (or not do this)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Oh, I get it! Reverse psychology!

tumblr_lx5fwjATo61qmijb2o1_500.gif
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way in the begnning, I wasn't losing weight and I hated they gym and hated how everybody else looked, but I changed my calories and now I'm losing and feel better then ever! I love the work out high I get and actually feel down on Sunday which is my cheat day and day off from the gym! Hang in there!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Then you aren't mentally ready to start a weight loss journey. I don't think anyone here has been forced into making a positive change, they had to have the mental space, and guts to jump into it and DO IT.

You need to think about why you are doing this. Eat whatever you like, drink whatever you like, and if you eventually want to change... then you might be in the right headspace to do it!

This.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe you cannot eat ANYTHING you like. I have food allergies and can hardly eat a damn thing and STILL I can eat things I like.

Stop being such a downer and stop thinking of this as a means to an end. It's a new life. Live it or don't
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    If it's not worth it to you, then keep on keeping on the way you were before and be prepared to take the consequences. Maybe they won't be too bad.

But keep in mind that exercise doesn't have to be the gym, it can be anything you enjoy or are motivated to do - like keeping your house and yard clean and beautiful, the dog walked, bicycling through beautiful scenery, playing a sport like tennis or volleyball ... etc and etc. Lots of options. And you can still have your favorite foods in moderate portions while developing a taste for new favorites. Years ago I would have told you that I hate vegetables, but I've experimented with a lot of vegetables and a lot of different ways of preparing them and now have a wide variety of favorites.

Change is a process.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? Let me work it. I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is this your first account on here if not then you have only been here since this month. That isn't long enough for you to really see any benifits so give it some more time. Also don't go to the gym if you hate it. You don't have to go to a gym. Go for a nice walk somewhere lovely instead or do something you'd enjoy like ride a bike? You don't need to give up any of your favourite foods either, you just have to cut back a little bit. How many calories are you on? Perhaps you haven't worked them out right and are eating too little. Friend me if you want some help. Do NOT give up!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:heart:

FTW
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Dear god woman, I fracking love you.
  • nanaxsfive
    Options
    this was a great post to read...all the replies were funny and to the point. Thanks for cheering me up today because I was feeling tired after working out.
    Good Luck to you!

PS I was taught , young at age, not to use the word "HATE" ....
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You win all the cookies.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow. Exactly what im talking about. I guess if you are not having success and have super positive attitude about everything, this isnt the place.

I hope you all feel better about yourselves by putting someone else down.

To be fair, you put down everyone who was having "success". And it's normal for this to feel hopeless but ranting about it and saying "I hate. I hate. I hate." Isn't going to make it any better. No one said you had give up everything, I gave up NOTHING! I do this to feel better, look better, not become diabetic like my father and get rid of my hypertension because it would affect my life when I got older. Maybe instead of the treadmill try zumba? I've never heard of anyone hating zumba and it's a great work out. Or maybe yoga is more your style? Maybe you can just go on a 3 mile nature walk. That's relaxing, won't make you bored and you can go with a friend. Before, I hated to exercise so one summer I went to the park everyday (usually with a friend) for an hour or two and walked around and at the end I'd play on the swings (because I miss being a child) I lost 10 lbs that summer without changing any eating habits or going to the gym. I just took the time I'd normally hang out with my friends and walk around the park with them. They were completely supportive! Now mind you, eventually, (If you are overweight, which I have no idea what your stats are) you most likely are going to have to change your eating habits, but change them slowly. I do simple things:
    I like ice cream- switch the skinny cow ice cream (ITS FREAKING DELICIOUS!); I started going to salad works for lunch (biggest salad ever, fills me up for hours); I stopped putting cheese on everything, but eat the same sandwiches, salads, etc.) ; Instead of chocolate, I have Special K chocolate bars; i switched some of my pasta and mac & cheese dinners with lean cuisine and smart ones meals (same foods or better but portion controlled); I eat more fruits for snacks such as apples and peanut butter and bananas and strawberries instead of goldfish; and if my friends wanna go to McDonalds, I'll go to McDonalds! BUT I'll get a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo (Under 400 cals) and eat a couple of my friends fries instead of getting a whole one to myself. When I want fruit punch or lemonade, I get crystal light packs and mix it in my water bottles and finally when I want to drink a lot of alcohol, instead of sugary bar drinks, I drink straight vodka with friends before hand or vodka clubs at the bar. THIS ALL CUTS DOWN YOUR CALORIES BY SO MUCH IT'S UNREAL!
    And you know what I got rid of? NOTHING. Because I can still eat string cheese :bigsmile:
    Oh, and I told someone else this earlier as well... stress is one of the number one causes of weight gain, even if you're stressing about losing weight, so don't stress. Just do some simple things to change your lifestyle and don't worry about it so much. Do it for you!