What do you drink when you go out?

Options
I went out to the pub last night for dinner. Now while I could make food choices to suit my cals, I really struggled with what to drink. I'm not drinking alcohol at the moment (health reasons), so it's soft drinks only.

It seemed to me there weren't any sugar free options other than water or diet coke (which I don't like).

What do you drink when you go out? Do you just take the hit on the cals and have sugary drinks? Or (as I'm hoping) are there options I haven't thought of yet?

Or do we need to get some sort of campaign going in pubs to have more low calorie drinks stocked?!

Suggestions welcome!

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I drink Vodka and diet coke if I go out, but since you are off alcohol and don't like diet coke that's not much help, sorry! However... if I'm out at lunch time and not drinking alocohol then I love lime and soda, many places do it with fresh lime, yumyum, but even if they use cordial it's still not bad. Make sure they don't add sugar though, some places do with fresh lime... it's tangy/sour without but I love it as it also really takes the edge of my appetite.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    drink iced tea. id never advise to go for soda- its a waste of cals. i drink water, an occasional coke zero, coffee and wine. thats about it :)
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I go out or go to dinner. :) it's free and healthy.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I go for water as I don't drink alcohol very often at all. Ummm Tomato juice maybe ?
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    Milk
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    drink iced tea. id never advise to go for soda- its a waste of cals. i drink water, an occasional coke zero, coffee and wine. thats about it :)

I'm talking about "club" soda, should have put that in for the non-UK people, sorry! There are NO calories in club soda, it's just fizzy water, (which I guess you could also use), which is why lime soda is so great, very few calories, especially if they use fresh limes and no sugar...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I'm talking about "club" soda, should have put that in for the non-UK people, sorry! There are NO calories in club soda, it's just fizzy water, (which I guess you could also use), which is why lime soda is so great, very few calories, especially if they use fresh limes and no sugar...

^ I agree with the lime and soda. I do the same when I'm in a situation where I want to appear to be drinking but don't wish to drink, or want to space my drinks when I am drinking.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    slimline tonic

my brain gets confused over this. i only ever used to drink it with gin, so my brain associates the taste with gin and i end up feeling light headed but without the calories
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Any slimline mixer.
  • MaxineYS
    MaxineYS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good thread, I've been wondering too lately (although I am talking alcohol) but NOWHERE in the UK sells diet lemonade :(
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I go for water as I don't drink alcohol very often at all.

same here i rarely every drank alcohol anyway, only soda and cordial, but i don't drink those either so it's either water, tea, coffee or a mineral water
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sprinkled water
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    tea, coffee, lemonade, iced tea, ginger beer
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    Water.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Water. Or sometimes iced tea with lemon and Splenda.

I do drink alcohol, but that is limited to wine or sometimes vodka with soda. Definitely no sugary mixers or beer.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I'm not drinking I love a Virgin Mary over ice - most tomato juice in bottles in pubs is pre-mixed with the Worcestershire sauce and spices.
  • bloodedflowers
    Options
    I always order lime cordial and soda water! It's fizzy, sweet but low cal because you're just getting calories from the small amount of cordial! (You can do this with orange or blackcurrant cordial to) and it's really cheap to! Normally around 70p-£1 per pint where I live. ^_^

Oh and sometimes when I want to indulge I drink red wine! ^_^
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    When I go out for drinks, there's all certain drinks I love and I don't really go by calories when I go out, I go out to enjoy myself and trust me, it's not too often I go out

Malibu and coke
    Vodka and redbull
    Southern comfort and lemonade
    WKD (sometimes)
    Bulmers:smile:
  • Peni_Davidson
    Peni_Davidson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I went out to the pub last night for dinner. Now while I could make food choices to suit my cals, I really struggled with what to drink. I'm not drinking alcohol at the moment (health reasons), so it's soft drinks only.

It seemed to me there weren't any sugar free options other than water or diet coke (which I don't like).

What do you drink when you go out? Do you just take the hit on the cals and have sugary drinks? Or (as I'm hoping) are there options I haven't thought of yet?

Or do we need to get some sort of campaign going in pubs to have more low calorie drinks stocked?!

Suggestions welcome!

Is it coke you don't like or just diet coke? If you like coke just not the diet stuff (like myself) then coke zero has a great taste. Most pubs stock slimline tonic which is great with ice and lemon.