Why running and cardio alone aren't giving you what you want

Options

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Well, this paragraph in the article is so stupid it negates anything else he said.
    Nothing exemplifies this increasing efficiency better than the way the body starts burning fuel. Training consistently at 65 percent or more of your max heart rate adapts your body to save as much body fat as possible. After regular training, fat cells stop releasing fat the way they once did during moderate-intensity activities[32-33]. Energy from body fat stores also decreases by 30 percent[34-35]. To this end, your body sets into motion a series of reactions that make it difficult for muscle to burn fat at all[36-41]. Instead of burning body fat, your body takes extraordinary measures to retain it.
    If he has any studies to back these stupid statements up then either he is taking them out of context or the studies are stupid too.

If anyone is interested in how energy is really stored and used in cardiovascular exercise then read the book Lore of Running by Dr. Timothy Noakes, MD

As requested, studies\references:

32. Jones NL, Heigenhauser GJ, Kuksis A, Matsos CG, Sutton JR, Toews CJ. Fat metabolism in heavy exercise. Clin Sci (Lond). 1980 Dec;59(6):469-78.

33. Romijn JA, Coyle EF, Sidossis LS, Zhang XJ, Wolfe RR. Relationship between fatty acid delivery and fatty acid oxidation during strenuous exercise. J Appl Physiol. 1995 Dec;79(6):1939-45.

34. Romijn JA, Coyle EF, Sidossis LS, Gastaldelli A, Horowitz JF, Endert E, Wolfe RR. Regulation of endogenous fat and carbohydrate metabolism in relation to exercise intensity and duration. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 1993;265:E380-E391.

35. Martin WH 3rd, Dalsky GP, Hurley BF, Matthews DE, Bier DM, Hagberg JM, Rogers MA, King DS, Holloszy JO. Effect of endurance training on plasma free fatty acid turnover and oxidation during exercise. Am J Physiol. 1993;265:E708–14.

36. Elayan IM, Winder WW. Effect of glucose infusion on muscle malonyl-CoA during exercise. J Appl Physiol. 1991 Apr;70(4):1495-9.

37. Saddik M, Gamble J, Witters LA, Lopaschuk GD. Acetyl-CoA carboxylase regulation of fatty acid oxidation in the heart. J Biol Chem. 1993 Dec 5;268(34):25836-45.

38. McGarry JD, Mannaerts GP, Foster DW. A possible role for malonyl-CoA in the regulation of hepatic fatty acid oxidation and ketogenesis. J Clin Invest. 1977 Jul;60(1):265-70.

39. Robinson IN, Zammit VA. Sensitivity of carnitine acyltransferase I to malonly-CoA inhibition in isolated rat liver mitochondria is quantitatively related to hepatic malonyl-CoA concentration in vivo. Biochem J. 1982 Jul 15;206(1):177-9.

40. McGarry JD, Mills SE, Long CS, Foster DW. Observations on the affinity for carnitine, and malonyl-CoA sensitivity, of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I in animal and human tissues. Demonstration of the presence of malonyl-CoA in non-hepatic tissues of the rat. Biochem J. 1983 Jul 15;214(1):21-8.

41. Sidossis LS, Gastaldelli A, Klein S, Wolfe RR. Regulation of plasma fatty acid oxidation during low- and high-intensity exercise. Am J Physiol. 1997;272:E1065–70.

@DavidKBrewer, I agree to a point, it IS heavy handed, using shock tactics, and as he's looked into 80 different scientific studies on the subject, and could be written a bit lighter..
    Unfortunately, this kind of article can't stand on it's academic merits, as can be seen by people shouting the article down, without realising that the academic research has been linked under the original article, and that most of the statements, are linked to the relevant study
    Consistent cardiovascular training above 65% and below around 80% max heart rate adapt the body to burn more fat and less glycogen. It his studies really contradict that then they are simply wrong. Or perhaps the author is just misapplying the study results. Either way, the entire article is discredited since the author clearly doesn't have a clue about the subject.

Again, if anyone wants to know the truth then read the book I listed above. There are entire chapters devoted to the subject with dozens of supporting studies.

Here is chapter 3 "Energy Systems and Running Performance" online at google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=wAa9qq9kbncC&pg=PA92&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Chapter 3 is 83 pages long so it covers the subject pretty thouroughly.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    We have a Jessica at my gym. She's skinny alright and looks great in a pair of jeans and a tshirt, I would kill for her body. But once she puts on her running shorts and tank top and hits the deadmill everyday for her hour or more, you see all the chicken wing and back fat flapping as she goes.

But.. but.. I thought running makes you fat? Also, well done on the body shaming. I'm sure you're a perfect 10.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    We have a Jessica at my gym. She's skinny alright and looks great in a pair of jeans and a tshirt, I would kill for her body. But once she puts on her running shorts and tank top and hits the deadmill everyday for her hour or more, you see all the chicken wing and back fat flapping as she goes.

But.. but.. I thought running makes you fat? Also, well done on the body shaming. I'm sure you're a perfect 10.

Thanks for only quoting half of what I wrote, because things taken out of context always sound better :) in the rest of my statement I wrote that I do run, I run most days a week. But I also do resistance training which was the point of the op. I also in my statement said that our girl at the gm is very happy with how she is. Bt it made me realize that JUST being thin wasn't MY goal. I want toned and tight. So while you can shame me all you want because I so called body shamed go ahead, but I will also shame you for the same, being judgemental.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Cardio= Endurance/Heart health/Lung health/ Fat loss
    Weightlifting= Strength/fatloss

No one should give up cardio, or weightlifting both are so very vital for your body. Cardio builds your endurance, betters your lung and heart making the stronger, and you more healthier. Cardio and Lifting both burn body fact and increase strength. Why not have the best of both worlds?
  • tnjrichter
    Options
    Although I struggled reading this article at first I sure wish I would have read it last year when I started my running regimen. I was really frustrated at I ran and ran and all I did was gain weight and inches! I was running outside every day for an hour minimum and could not lose a damn pound. I became very frustrated and quit all together. I began missing the feeling I felt after running so I started back to jogging/walking and only every other day...the weight started to come off and I lost over 5" from my stomach! When I was running every day I also suffered from a lot of soreness that I could not explain but once I slowed down and less often I found I did not have the pains.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Cardio= Endurance/Heart health/Lung health/ Fat loss
    Weightlifting= Strength/fatloss

No one should give up cardio, or weightlifting both are so very vital for your body. Cardio builds your endurance, betters your lung and heart making the stronger, and you more healthier. Cardio and Lifting both burn body fact and increase strength. Why not have the best of both worlds?

^^ This ^^

Well said.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    lots of butthurt runners in this thread...
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    you do not gain weight from doing cardio Trololollol you gain weight when you eat more calories then your body needs. FAKT
  • scottb81
    Options
    Not butthurt. Just not dumb as a rock.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    To me this just sounds like someone who hates cardio and wants a valid excuse to never do it again.

Everything in moderation.

I like to run, and will continue to do so until the day I die. I've never seen an overweight runner. I don't spend hours every day, running though.

Really? I see overweight runners in my gym every single day.
  • phjorg
    Options
    then you are not understanding
  • scottb81
    Options
    I am understanding that the article puts out a whole lot of false information. I am also understanding that many people haven't studied the issue and can be led astray by articles like this.

I personally don't care if if someone chooses to just run or just lift or to do both. I do care that they make their choice based on solid information and not on Internet nonsense. People need to structure their fitness program to achieve whatever goal they set and that isn't helped by articles like this.

I posted a link to a book chapter written by a Dr. that contains dozens of studies refuting this stupid article. The conclusion is clear and if the author of this article really has a PhD as claimed then that PhD only stands for piled higher and deeper.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Is there some PR firm spamming this article to fitness sites? This is at least the fifth time in the past week or two this has been posted here.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • phjorg
    Options
    I am understanding that the article puts out a whole lot of false information. I am also understanding that many people haven't studied the issue and can be led astray by articles like this.

I personally don't care if if someone chooses to just run or just lift or to do both. I do care that they make their choice based on solid information and not on Internet nonsense. People need to structure their fitness program to achieve whatever goal they set and that isn't helped by articles like this.

I posted a link to a book chapter written by a Dr. that contains dozens of studies refuting this stupid article. The conclusion is clear and if the author of this article really has a PhD as claimed then that PhD only stands for piled higher and deeper.
    he cites everything he says...

also, I read your lil bit of BS there, and if you did have a shred of understanding, you would know that the author was talking about while not exercising, and you're talking about during exercise. as in he's talking about something totally different than you are. oooops, how embarrassing for you.

The problem with people like you is you are blinded to ideology, rather than actually trying to read what he's saying. open your mind a bit man.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So the author of this non-peer reviewed article holds degrees in mathematics and physics... why would I go there for nutrition and fitness advice??? Each to their own however :flowerforyou:
  • phjorg
    Options
    So the author of this non-peer reviewed article holds degrees in mathematics and physics... why would I go there for nutrition and fitness advice??? Each to their own however :flowerforyou:
    did you miss the dozens of peer reviewed research papers he cited???

sigh, you guys are amazing. the classic ad hominem logic fallacy.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I don't run unless chased.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Is there some PR firm spamming this article to fitness sites? This is at least the fifth time in the past week or two this has been posted here.

Agreed. I was SO HAPPY to see this article posted again! .... Sarcasm.