Any way to lose fat on legs but NOT gain muscle?

Options
Is there any exercise that I could do to lose the fat on my legs but NOT gain muscle? Walking is my main exercise and I know that has alot to do with it. But my legs are not getting any smaller. They are just getting tighter from gaining muscle. Just wondering if someone knows what I could do dfferently. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you are spending hours walking up hill or stairs, and eating properly, you are probably not building muscle from walking.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit, and you will not be able to gain muscle.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I know you probably know this, but you can spot reduce just the fat on your legs. If you lose weight overrall, the fat will come off your legs at some point though certain body parts show weight loss ahead others.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want muscle gains in your legs? When I started doing squats and lunges regularly, I got definition in my legs, not bulk.
  • barbiedollgirl
    barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know you probably know this, but you can spot reduce just the fat on your legs. If you lose weight overrall, the fat will come off your legs at some point though certain body parts show weight loss ahead others.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want muscle gains in your legs? When I started doing squats and lunges regularly, I got definition in my legs, not bulk.

Yes, I know. I was just hoping I was wrong and that there was something else I could. I wouldnt mind the muscle, if my legs were not so huge. I just want them smaller. :grumble:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you are not gaining muscle on your legs from walking.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This. If anything, you're losing it.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your goal? Muscle atrophy?
    Eating at a deficit, with no strength training, you won't gain any muscle, you'll lose some.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This. If anything, you're losing it.
    This. If you want to lose the fat but not gain any muscle (and of course not lose much either) eat a small calorie deficit and lift heavy.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will do it. You don't have to lift at all.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Define tighter.. like less jiggle or what?

Do some squats and lunges, and you'll be just fine.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Is there any exercise that I could do to lose the fat on my legs but NOT gain muscle? Walking is my main exercise and I know that has alot to do with it. But my legs are not getting any smaller. They are just getting tighter from gaining muscle. Just wondering if someone knows what I could do dfferently. Thanks! :smile:

Rub fresh cherry tomatoes on your legs and walk in circles for 5 minutes counterclockwise (direction important!). This should be done in the early morning hours whilst reflecting on your place in the Universe.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Rub fresh cherry tomatoes on your legs and walk in circles for 5 minutes counterclockwise (direction important!). This should be done in the early morning hours whilst reflecting on your place in the Universe.

And don't forget the live web feed video. This is key. Without this, the spot reduction Gods will move on to the next, more motivated, fitness guru.
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    General weight loss is key. Whilst losing, walking is good for gentle toning. Slower, long-distance running (rather than short but fast) is good for long and lean muscles, as is yoga. Stretch well and often. I wouldn't rule out squats as these will define your thigh muscles rather than build them, making them look slimmer as a result- just don't add weight when squatting.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    General weight loss is key. Whilst losing, walking is good for gentle toning. Slower, long-distance running (rather than short but fast) is good for long and lean muscles, as is yoga. Stretch well and often. I wouldn't rule out squats as these will define your thigh muscles rather than build them, making them look slimmer as a result- just don't add weight when squatting.

This is sheer nonsense; you can't make your muscles "longer" since they are attached to your BONES! Also, lean muscles are a product of lowering bodyfat and NOT "slower, long distance running" which is the most inefficient way to get leaner. HIIT cadio training is short, sweet and clearly superior; the research has been in for quite a while. This ain't the 80's.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

lolNO!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth.

Yup, had a whole chapter on it in my high school mythology class.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

In for making my muscles longer with yoga.

wait... LOL - that's ridiculous.