Any way to lose fat on legs but NOT gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what you need to lose fat. You can't spot reduce so your legs may well be the last or first place you lose from, chances are you'll lose a little bit gradually, along with the rest of your body.

You are not gaining muscle from walking.

Tighter sounds like a good thing in my eyes, if you're worried they're getting bigger (I doubt it, if you're in a calorie deficit) get the tape measure out. Scales are useless and sometimes when we lose fat, the uncovering of muscle (that you already had) can give the appearance of muscle gain. Measurements are awesome to see where you're really getting smaller, or bigger.
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain only happens where it is needed. Doing normal calasthetics and cardio exercises will not cause you to gain the wrong kind of muscel. Just exercise, eat right, and watch your body move to its proper shapliness. Don't worry about un sightly muscle gain. It wont happen unless you lift heavy. Light strength training does not produce the unsightly level of muscle gain. DON'T LIFT HEAVY AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain only happens where it is needed. Doing normal calasthetics and cardio exercises will not cause you to gain the wrong kind of muscel. Just exercise, eat right, and watch your body move to its proper shapliness. Don't worry about un sightly muscle gain. It wont happen unless you lift heavy. Light strength training does not produce the unsightly level of muscle gain. DON'T LIFT HEAVY AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
    Untrue. One can lift heavy on a calorie deficit and not gain muscle. As previously mentioned, gaining muscle means adding lean mass. That doesn't happen on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

AMG are you serious...I lift heavy and you don't get "unsightly" muscle gains from that.

*walks away shaking head*
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....

These boards are always good for a laugh.

Seriously, thanks for cheering me up!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

dont-skip-leg-day.jpeg

Don't skip leg day seriously!!!
  • ctatchuan
    Options
    Is there any exercise that I could do to lose the fat on my legs but NOT gain muscle? Walking is my main exercise and I know that has alot to do with it. But my legs are not getting any smaller. They are just getting tighter from gaining muscle. Just wondering if someone knows what I could do dfferently. Thanks! :smile:

Rub fresh cherry tomatoes on your legs and walk in circles for 5 minutes counterclockwise (direction important!). This should be done in the early morning hours whilst reflecting on your place in the Universe.

aahahahahahahaahahahahaha THIS one
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I do think I know what the OP means.

When I first started cardio and Body Pump for weight loss, I was quite big with chunky legs. I did walking and jogging a lot and my calves literally went rock solid. I thought I was stuck with them as it seemed like there was no fat on them, just pure muscle. I think they must have been protesting from carrying my large weight around all day.

Now at 20 kilos lighter my calves are not only much smaller, but soft to the touch unless I am tensing them. I probably walk more, but don’t have this problem any more.

Whilst I definitely don’t understand the science behind it, I do sympathise.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's a wrong kind of muscle, and muscle gain is unsightly?

I've been lifting heavy since January (with a bit of time off here and there) and all I can see in my legs so far is some good tight definition and my pants are falling down off my *kitten* a bit.

When O Lawd will my wrong unsightly muscle get here so I look amazing in shorts???
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I want this guy to be a troll so badly....

Regardless, terrible misinformation and just pitiful, really.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    just a thought and i know it's not your goal, but why wouldnt you want lovely muscular feminine legs? Easier to trap your prey with.
  • mekikya
    mekikya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    it's amazing to me all the muscle heads on these forums, that discourage anything that isn't heavy weight lifting...
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Why do people who are nowhere near their weight loss goal asking about specific body parts? Christ.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    it's amazing to me all the muscle heads on these forums, that discourage anything that isn't heavy weight lifting...
    Feel free to point out one post that advocates against another form of exercise.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    <- look at the horrible things strength training has done to my lower body!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    First of all, some ppl gain muscle mass very easily, and not the trim and slim kind. I have struggled with that all my life.
    Yeah, I totally know what you mean.

Er, wait, what? Struggled with gaining muscle mass too easily???

No. No no no. NOOOOOOOOOO!
    Body builders may like this but women in general do not. Cardio such as running or aerobics is the best way to trim down the fat on your legs while not bulking up. Add a little bit of toning exercises like leg lifts (no weight added) and this will tighten the already existing muscle making you smaller. Just don't overdo these types of exercises or ever add any weight as it will bulk you up almost immediately if you have this body type. Squats are NOT what you want to do. They will bulk you up if you already have a tendency toward large legs. Try not to eat too much protein either or this can add more muscle when mixed with exercise. Eat less fats, and try to stick with more veggies and lean proteins like chicken and fish, hummus dip, etc. Good luck!

I just...

...I can't.

Good luck with all your health and fitness goals. :flowerforyou:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    <- look at the horrible things strength training has done to my lower body!

OMG! You're so bulked lol. In all honesty you look great :P

I don't do hard core strength but the bit I do has really helped firm me up. I wanna gain muscle mass though, not a lot just want some abs, a bit leg muscles and my arms to be ripped enough I don't need to flex to see I lift lol.

nyieeo.jpg
  • mekikya
    Options
  • mekikya
    Options
    Feel free to point out one post that advocates against another form of exercise.

First off, that sentence doesn't even make sense. It would be "discourages other forms of", you cannot "advocate against" something and this whole topic is an anti walking topic. I realize she is asking about toning a specific body part, which doesn't make a lot of sense to start. BUT, there is nothing wrong with walking in addition to other things. I find most people that lift weights primarily have zero stamina and I could out distance them any day of the week. They might be faster than me from the start as guys usually are, but not doing any cardio, just means you have a lot of muscle and no heart or lungs to back it up. Moderation is key, not just one type of exercise. Besides losing a few extra calories is not a bad thing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

First off, that sentence doesn't even make sense. It would be "discourages other forms of", you cannot "advocate against" something and this whole topic is an anti walking topic. I realize she is asking about toning a specific body part, which doesn't make a lot of sense to start. BUT, there is nothing wrong with walking in addition to other things. I find most people that lift weights primarily have zero stamina and I could out distance them any day of the week. They might be faster than me from the start as guys usually are, but not doing any cardio, just means you have a lot of muscle and no heart or lungs to back it up. Moderation is key, not just one type of exercise. Besides losing a few extra calories is not a bad thing.
    But nobody said walking was bad, so stop making **** up.