Any way to lose fat on legs but NOT gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• johan1585
    johan1585 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    first you probaly wont gain muscle from walking, unless your climbing mountains.

second you lack the hormones to actualy get bulky so dont worrie about that, women do gain muscle but not in the same way as men( women get a nice and sexy slimness) UNLESS there shooting testosteron.

third and now knowing what we know from the above if you are eating at a defecit its even harder to gain muscle.

dont worry if you like to walk just walk. and btw you cant spot reduce.
  • mekikya
    mekikya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    dont worry if you like to walk just walk.

^^what this guy said
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Is there any exercise that I could do to lose the fat on my legs but NOT gain muscle? Walking is my main exercise and I know that has alot to do with it. But my legs are not getting any smaller. They are just getting tighter from gaining muscle. Just wondering if someone knows what I could do dfferently. Thanks! :smile:

Rub fresh cherry tomatoes on your legs and walk in circles for 5 minutes counterclockwise (direction important!). This should be done in the early morning hours whilst reflecting on your place in the Universe.

*mops coffee off keyboard*

Thank you!! :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    First of all, some ppl gain muscle mass very easily, and not the trim and slim kind. I have struggled with that all my life. Body builders may like this but women in general do not. Cardio such as running or aerobics is the best way to trim down the fat on your legs while not bulking up. Add a little bit of toning exercises like leg lifts (no weight added) and this will tighten the already existing muscle making you smaller. Just don't overdo these types of exercises or ever add any weight as it will bulk you up almost immediately if you have this body type. Squats are NOT what you want to do. They will bulk you up if you already have a tendency toward large legs. Try not to eat too much protein either or this can add more muscle when mixed with exercise. Eat less fats, and try to stick with more veggies and lean proteins like chicken and fish, hummus dip, etc. Good luck!

A whole lot of bad advice right there.

What a load of balls!!

The only sensible two words in that post were "lean protein".
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you SHOULD lift weights! Unless you try really really really hard (with diet and protein etc, etc..., you ain't going to gain muscle on your legs! You will just tighten what's already there. If you do gain any muscle it's gonna be a hell of a lot smaller than any fat you have hanging around. More muscle = more fat burned as muscle burns fat. You clearly have the idea that muscle appears from nowhere when you walk so scrap that idea because it's not true. Walking will not gently tone your legs. Walking is running with no effort. Walking is good because it is better than sitting on your a$5 but that's it.
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer at the gym..I've just been measure etc. I was pleased with the 9 inch reduction overall...the onlyplace I didn't lose inches were my legs. I have actually gained muscle. I'm not complaining as they look toned now, but I guess all the lower body work has caused me to gain muscle. I also would like to lose fat on my upper legs. I think it will come, but for now, I'll focus on the strength I am gaining and hope the fat loss will also come.
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to have some of that unsightly accidental muscle gain. I just get smaller when I lift weights.

Maybe I'll try the tomato method and walk the other direction.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain only happens where it is needed. Doing normal calasthetics and cardio exercises will not cause you to gain the wrong kind of muscel. Just exercise, eat right, and watch your body move to its proper shapliness. Don't worry about un sightly muscle gain. It wont happen unless you lift heavy. Light strength training does not produce the unsightly level of muscle gain. DON'T LIFT HEAVY AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

There is a wrong kind of muscle??

"proper shapliness??" WTF is that?

"unsightly muscle gain?

I'm so confused.

I'm REALLY glad this old *kitten* post got bumped- totally worth the read of awesome.
  • SeanMGilmore
    Options
    UGH.. this is Rica Gilmore. I accidentally posted while entering my husband's breakfast under his account.. Anyway, all the information is still the same, just not the picture of who I am :(.
    After three surgeries and a three years, my thighs were up to 32.5 inches. I have lost 30 something pounds and they are now 27 inches. I do intense training with a personal trainer three times a week. I did and do NOT want big legs or arms(fat or muscle). I want to be fit and lean again. I want them back to about 23/24 inches. The muscles are getting firm but they are not getting bulking and still have about three - four inches of fat stuck on them that I am still burning off. Squats, walking, lunges will only make our legs beautiful. The work they do to get all the bulk is amazingly difficult. I hope you keep walking it off and burning it off. Most people are not in our area, but she has some of her exercises posted on face book that really helped me. Laurinda Mason (she trained with NASM, so she knows what she is talking about). I have disabilities, so I have to go in person not to mess myself up & I like the one on one accountability, but LOTS of people can watch them and do them and do great AND they are free on her facebook site.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Messed up editing, read next post
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to get bulky legs from walking any more easily than you'll get a six pack from getting out of bed each morning. If only, lol!

I used to think the same way though. I used to do ballet, and when I got my pointe shoes in high school my calves got monstrous, to the point where other people commented and I couldn't find boots that fit. This made me scared to run later in life, thinking my calves would get impossibly large again. However, I was missing a key point...

I was not on a calorie deficit when that happened. So I was able to put on muscle, and not only that but I had some fat there so I had fat on top of the muscle. Fat causes far more bulk than muscle does. Plus going on pointe I probably did the equivalent of a thousand calf raises in any given 45 minute ballet class (particularly when you first get them- you have to do quarter, half, and full pointe over and over and over again for the sole purpose of getting stronger). You aren't doing that sort of intense work.

Fast forward a few years and I've been on a deficit and lifting and running. I measured my calves for the hell of it (I also ride horses and need to fit into those tall black leather boots, which was previously a huge challenge. Only two brands fit me, one crappy and one extremely expensive). I lost an inch off of my calves and they are well within the range of normal now.

It is possible for the muscles to swell some when you do something you're not used to, even walking, which may lead you to believe you're gaining muscle. This also accounts as to why it's very common to put on a couple pounds the day after a workout. It's temporary and it will be gone in a couple days. It still gets you closer to your long term goal. Stay on a deficit and work hard and it will get you to your goals.

I mean really... would you rather walk for 2 hours or do a 20 minute hard workout and be done? The latter is far more efficient and effective.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to get bulky legs from walking any more easily than you'll get a six pack from getting out of bed each morning. If only, lol!

I used to think the same way though. I used to do ballet, and when I got my pointe shoes in high school my calves got monstrous, to the point where other people commented and I couldn't find boots that fit. This made me scared to run later in life, thinking my calves would get impossibly large again. However, I was missing a key point...

I was not on a calorie deficit when that happened. So I was able to put on muscle, and not only that but I had some fat there so I had fat on top of the muscle. Fat causes far more bulk than muscle does. Plus going on pointe I probably did the equivalent of a thousand calf raises in any given 45 minute ballet class (particularly when you first get them- you have to do quarter, half, and full pointe over and over and over again for the sole purpose of getting stronger). You aren't doing that sort of intense work.

It is possible for the muscles to swell some when you do something you're not used to, even walking, which may lead you to believe you're gaining muscle. This also accounts as to why it's very common to put on a couple pounds the day after a workout. It's temporary and it will be gone in a couple days. It still gets you closer to your long term goal. Stay on a deficit and work hard and it will get you to your goals.

I mean really... would you rather walk for 2 hours or do a 20 minute hard workout and be done? The latter is far more efficient and effective.
    Totally on point here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Targeting specific areas for loss is a myth; you lose from everywhere. The only way to 'lose' is to burn more calories than you put in (as has already been stated several times).

As cycling is my 'thing', I would recommend cycling for toning your glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves etc.

Just my 2p ($0.02) worth :smile:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Totally on point here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Well played.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit, and you will not be able to gain muscle.

Ditto
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Your legs are not going to remain "too big" because you are gaining muscle. Your legs are too big because of the fat you need to loose.

See the following link, this girl gained muscle and weight & her body looks smaller and more fit.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    General weight loss is key. Whilst losing, walking is good for gentle toning. Slower, long-distance running (rather than short but fast) is good for long and lean muscles, as is yoga. Stretch well and often. I wouldn't rule out squats as these will define your thigh muscles rather than build them, making them look slimmer as a result- just don't add weight when squatting.

gentle toning?? thats a new one.

gentletoner_hires.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BAW HA HA HA HA HA
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Question - Why can't you gain muscle while eating at a deficit??
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Question - Why can't you gain muscle while eating at a deficit??

Muscle growth require protein synthesis in excess of protein breakdown.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11255140