Is it okay to eat fruit past 8pm?

Options

Replies

• aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    as long as you don't go to bed for a while after, you're body functions more slowly while asleep (including digestion), especially if you lay on your side . I wouldn't worry too much though because fruit is nutritious and also relatively low calorie, not the same as eating a steak dinner :)
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what time of day you eat your food. A calorie is a calorie.

^^^This!
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    your body doesn't know the time on a clock.

it depends on the amount of time that's between when you eat it and the time you go to bed..
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

The problem with this is that not everyone goes to bed at the same time. Some people go to bed @ 10 pm every night and get up @ 6am (like me), this is why I can't eat anything "heavy" before bed. However, a piece a fruit is fine I think especially if my body says I need food because being hungry all night WILL wake me up @ 3 or 4 am craving something even bigger! lol.

However then there are people who do not go to sleep until 2 or 3 am and wake up @ 11am due to their lifestyle (like when I used to work 4pm to 1am every night). For those people eating even a big meal at 8pm or 9pm would be COMPLETELY reasonable in my opinion :)

So, just listen to your body :)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't go to bed for a while after, you're body functions more slowly while asleep (including digestion), especially if you lay on your side . I wouldn't worry too much though because fruit is nutritious and also relatively low calorie, not the same as eating a steak dinner :)

NNNNOOOOOOO!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    pineapple is ok but no melon after 7:59 ...your body will reject the melon...
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

MGTYSJ5.gif

What everyone else has said - meal timing is irrelevant. Enjoy your fruit!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for me to eat 500-1000 calories after 8:00 p.m. It didn't impact my ability to lose weight or maintain that loss.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be ok? Eat! Enjoy!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    your body doesn't know what time it is..

it depends on the amount of time that's between when you eat it and the time you go to bed..

No, it doesn't. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you can eat whenever you want.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No, eating fruit a second later than 7:59PM turns you into a Gremlin.

Truestory.

Could that be why I look terrible in the mornings? :)

I thought alcohol made things look bad in the morning..??
  • ndj1979
    Options

No.
    night eating packs on pounds. My cut off time is 7pm..... The scale notices!

NO!

If you are within your calorie goal, you will NOT gain weight!

i am hoping both quoted quotes are sarcasm
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

This is 100% a myth.
    No, it's true! This is how you can produce free energy from the vacuum and turn a human body into a perpetual motion machine.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    only if you are SURE it is a pineapple
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

No.

NO!

If you are within your calorie goal, you will NOT gain weight!

i am hoping both quoted quotes are sarcasm

I hope they are too, but some part of me knows that they are not and I die a little inside every time I re-read them.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    fruit in your stomach overnight will ferment and you'll wake up drunk the next morning. then you'll have to drive to work drunk and risk a DUI and you'll have to do your job drunk and risk being fired. do you really want to risk killing people on the road and losing your job just because you waited until 8:01PM to eat your fruit? seems pretty selfish and dangerous to me. >:(

PS - just kidding of course. when you eat does not matter in the least. :wink:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    fruit in your stomach overnight will ferment and you'll wake up drunk the next morning. then you'll have to drive to work drunk and risk a DUI and you'll have to do your job drunk and risk being fired. do you really want to risk killing people on the road and losing your job just because you waited until 8:01PM to eat your fruit? seems pretty selfish and dangerous to me. >:(

PS - just kidding of course. when you eat does not matter in the least. :wink:

Aaaannndddd, this is why we're friends.
  • egarrett8911
    Options

This is 100% a myth.
    No, it's true! This is how you can produce free energy from the vacuum and turn a human body into a perpetual motion machine.

Okay okay... I'm not a scientist... but what you're saying is, if I stop eating after 8pm, I'll never have to sleep?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

NO.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

This is 100% a myth.

Okay okay... I'm not a scientist... but what you're saying is, if I stop eating after 8pm, I'll never have to sleep?
    If you eat after 8PM, the energy from the food fuels your body during the night... and then during the day your body doesn't have that fuel so it pulls energy from the aether instead.