Is it okay to eat fruit past 8pm?

Options

Replies

• LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    fruit in your stomach overnight will ferment and you'll wake up drunk the next morning. then you'll have to drive to work drunk and risk a DUI and you'll have to do your job drunk and risk being fired. do you really want to risk killing people on the road and losing your job just because you waited until 8:01PM to eat your fruit? seems pretty selfish and dangerous to me. >:(

PS - just kidding of course. when you eat does not matter in the least. :wink:

Hilarity ensued! :)
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Melon and pineapple would be fine as they grow on the ground but apples should be eaten in the morning as they come from trees.

We should be eating from trees in the morning, bushes/shrubs in the afternoon, the ground in the evening.

I think it's in the bible.

You're quickly becoming an expert at never adding anything productive.

We're all here for the same reason.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Melon and pineapple would be fine as they grow on the ground but apples should be eaten in the morning as they come from trees.

We should be eating from trees in the morning, bushes/shrubs in the afternoon, the ground in the evening.

I think it's in the bible.

You're quickly becoming an expert at never adding anything productive.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/29401264

You might want to stop flinging stones about all willy-nilly. Glass repair can be very expensive.

:flowerforyou:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your fruit eating window closes at 8 PM...Fortunately the ice cream window opens!
  • sellychan93
    Options
    Although eating before you sleep if you are under your calorie goal deficit will not be an issue, from personal experience... it's honestly not the best idea to eat 2-3 hours before you sleep. I don't know all of the scientific reasoning behind it so I cannot explain it to you all, but having food in your stomach digesting while you sleep is just a no no ... DARE I SAY, it may be linked as a cancer causing issue.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Okay all you people that don't eat after 6 or 7 or 8. Where do you people work?! How are you off work, home, and fed by these earlier times?! I don't even get home until 7 - I eat dinner sometime between 7:30 and 9:30. People have too much free time on their hands if they're not eating in the evenings.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    the reason people will quit fruit after dinner time is due to the high sugar content. you can certainly eat after 8pm, especially if you are weight lifting! you will always be hungry and you will need to feed those muscles :)

instead of fruit go for some casein protein powder mixed with plain greek yogurt or some low fat/low sodium cottage cheese with some organic powdered peanut butter mix. casein at night :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    the reason people will quit fruit after dinner time is due to the high sugar content. you can certainly eat after 8pm, especially if you are weight lifting! you will always be hungry and you will need to feed those muscles :)

instead of fruit go for some casein protein powder mixed with plain greek yogurt or some low fat/low sodium cottage cheese with some organic powdered peanut butter mix. casein at night :)

Say wha? I still don't understand.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Who knows, maybe one day OP decides to take up bodybuilding. So let's say you believe by eating in the evening you maintain muscle better and you have also taken an interest in fasting and your eating window is the evening hours. Would you eat fruit at the beginning of the window or simply skip fruit altogether? Fruits that digest quickly or maybe some too that are a bit slower? Fresh fruit, dehydrated fruit, a completely different form of fruit? And which of this would adhere to the notion that to be fit and healthy you need to eat good food, the meaning of expression You are what you eat.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

MGTYSJ5.gif

What everyone else has said - meal timing is irrelevant. Enjoy your fruit!

For this GIF - :love:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    No, eating fruit a second later than 7:59PM turns you into a Gremlin.

Truestory.

Could that be why I look terrible in the mornings? :)

I thought alcohol made things look bad in the morning..??

No, STOPPING the alcohol makes things look bad in the morning.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Although eating before you sleep if you are under your calorie goal deficit will not be an issue, from personal experience... it's honestly not the best idea to eat 2-3 hours before you sleep. I don't know all of the scientific reasoning behind it so I cannot explain it to you all, but having food in your stomach digesting while you sleep is just a no no ... DARE I SAY, it may be linked as a cancer causing issue.
    That was daring and sounds legit too.:wink:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your fruit eating window closes at 8 PM...Fortunately the ice cream window opens!

I visited the ice cream window tonight. By the time I got home from my Zumba class and ate my dinner, the fruit window guy had left to go get a pack of cigarettes.

The ice cream man never lets me down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I visited the ice cream window tonight. By the time I got home from my Zumba class and ate my dinner, the fruit window guy had left to go get a pack of cigarettes.

The ice cream man never lets me down.

ice cream window? Is that like the candy shop...?
  • BlueHerron89
    Options
    lol not its not ok to eat ANYTHING after 8pm. it sits in your stomach and as you sleep your body spends time breaking that down instead of breaking down your fat because believe it or not you burn calories while you sleep

MGTYSJ5.gif

What everyone else has said - meal timing is irrelevant. Enjoy your fruit!

For this GIF - :love:

Ah yes, this GIF <3. Also this thread has made my night. Been hearing about the "don't eat at night" thing for so long. Not like that ever stopped me, but now I can stop feeling guilty about it.
  • Pigbear
    Pigbear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yep its fine.

I will add though that if you are like me and have a set time in the morning when you weigh yourself then (and I choose my words carefully) the numbers on the scales will be affected in my experiance if you have a late night snack compared to if you don't.

So I choose not to eat past 7 as at the moment in my journey as I have always weighed myself at 6:15am in the morning so I have a consistant (relative) weight record. I do not think that 200g of fruit (or food) at night will cause actually weight gain at night (if still within my deficit)
  • bratja
    bratja Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No. You are not allowed to eat anything after 8pm. Your body is highly sensitive to the time of day, the season, and the phase of the moon. Depending on these specific variables, it will be instantly turned into fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Really O.o? I literally just learned that your body puts ATP into temporary reserves and after about eight hours or so if it is not used up it is deposited as fat for long-term storage.. therefore if you eat sleep directly after it (even though sleeping and just existing does burn calories) you'd have a surplus of ATP which your body assumes you don't need immediately.

And from what I understand, sugars/monosaccarides/carbohydrates all go through glycolysis/krebs cycle/oxidative phosphorylation as well as proteins and lipids (though they join in at a later point)... so it shouldn't matter what you eat it all ultimately gets converted into ATP in one way or another which would be stored (converted?) long-term as fat if there was a surplus of ATP (energy).

I'm not saying "No you're wrong, it's not a myth," I'm legitimately curious as to what made you think it was a myth? My current understanding supports it, but university-level bio isn't necessarily the most reliable source xD and I'd love to be corrected now rather than keep this knowledge into a medical career and find that I was misinformed.
    You're leaving out the incredibly important part about the person in question tracking calories and being in a calorie deficit. There is no chance for long term fat storage, because there is not a surplus of energy, there is a deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fruits contain sugar. The body's biggest production spurts of growth hormone occur during the early hours of sleep, and high blood sugar levels inhibit growth hormone release. Cottage cheese should be fine before bed though.
    It's actually insulin that can inhibit growth hormone. Cottage cheese also spikes insulin, so if fruit is a bad idea, so is cottage cheese. Neither are bad ideas, as insulin is actually a necessary part of growth hormone regulation, they work together.
  • ubervillain
    ubervillain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie, but you can eat whenever you want.