VOLUNTEER girls coach was fired last night.

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
My daughter plays softball, and she's 11. About 10 days ago her team played this team where one of the assistant coaches was REALLY yelling at the catcher for making bad plays. She embarrassed the poor girl terribly, I am sure. I would even go so far as to call it screaming. Near the end of the game, I found out that the girl was her daughter.

So last night my daughter's team played that team again. And the same thing happened. But then the crowd started a chant, LOL.

"Lighten up. Lighten up. Lighten up."

Well, as the game went on, the coach of that team called time out after she started yelling at the catcher again. He walked over and told her to go home and that she wasn't welcome on his staff anymore. She started to yell at him, then. At that point I guess he had had enough and he yelled back at her and told her to leave.

The crowd from both sides gave him a standing ovation, which I thought was very cool.But the very sad part was that she took her daughter from the game.

I sure hope she doesn't "take it out" on the poor girl.

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone's been eating a few too many crabby patties.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    God only knows what happens at home. Poor kid. At least she now understands that her mother's behavior isn't acceptable.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I abhor parents that take children's sports too seriously like that.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

I think that's a pretty far leap you're taking...

Some parents can become VERY competitive.
    I know that my dad was terrible about yelling at my sporting events. Only because he wanted me to BE THE BEST I CAN.
  • motown13
    Options

I know that my dad was terrible about yelling at my sporting events. Only because he wanted me to BE THE BEST I CAN.

You could be right. But I tend to think that people's actions in public are usually worse when hidden from the public. And do you think that screaming at you helped you? I bet not.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Awww... Just imagine the kind of criticism and anger that girl deals with on a daily basis from her mom. To be screamed at is bad enough but especially in front of strangers, as well as her peers :(
  • TylerJ76
    Options

You could be right. But I tend to think that people's actions in public are usually worse when hidden from the public. And do you think that screaming at you helped you? I bet not.

Yes I do.
    My dad was always yelling things that would help me in the game. Things that I may not have picked up on...

& he is the kindest greatest man I know...
  • motown13
    Options

Yes I do.
    My dad was always yelling things that would help me in the game. Things that I may not have picked up on...

Well, then good for you... no sarcasm intended. But not everybody is you.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

So are you going to follow up on this?
    What's your plan of action here?

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just curious...
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

Yes I do.

My mom would always yell the other players numbers out to my couch so he can get some defense on them. If the defense wasn't good she would keep yelling the numbers. She would also yell out calls for the ref. Sometimes she would yell things like "What are you doing Danielle" and tell me to stop being a ball hog.

ETA: This didn't bother me at all. What did bother me was when my Dad would come and sit quietly and then at the end of the game say things like "well, you were the prettiest one out there" (meaning I sucked).
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My dad is the reason I quit softball...he made it no fun to play anymore. And I was pretty dang good too.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    God only knows what happens at home. Poor kid. At least she now understands that her mother's behavior isn't acceptable.

i dont take it to that level on the field, however, that being said, i have 4 daughters who play softball competetively, looking to future college scholorships if they continue to work hard, and i am tough with them on the field. however, i leave it on the field, it doesnt come home. yes, this lady went over board, but i dont think that automatically means she took the girl home and beat her with bat...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Those that can - do. Those that can't - force their children to do it instead.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    as the girls age and continue in the sport, the coaches will only get louder, tougher, and harder. nothing wrong with preparing these girls who are taking the sport serious. travel ball coaches, high school coaches, and college coaches would make that mom look like mary poppins. these girls are tough, let them be athletes... parents need to sit back and trust that tough coaching helps these girls in the long run. girl scouts is always an option for parents who cant handle good tough coaches.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    Those that can - do. Those that can't - force their children to do it instead.

:yawn: :huh: :noway:
  • yankeez1212
    Options
    So I coach my daughters in soccer. My belief is you should tell them much more what they do right than what they do wrong. That being said, I ask my kids, do you want me to coach or just parent. If they want coached they will be coached (without yelling). If they give me attitude thinking I am telling them what to do and how to do it. I will ask them on the way home if they want me to coach or just be a parent. They seem to have fun, and I could careless if they play, but I have fun coaching them as well.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Without being there, it is kind of hard to form a full opinion, but if the coach sent her home, and that many of the other parents were upset by it, it is pretty likely that she was going well beyond acceptable pushing for her child during the game. It also seems like she saved all of this yelling and toughness just for her child, not for the entire team. I can sympathize that it would be difficult having your own child on a team that you are coaching, but this sounds out of line. I do agree that as the kids get older though, the coaches will get much tougher on them. Too many sports now are totally wussed out. We used to have track meets in snow, rain, wind and absolutely horrible conditions. Now stuff is cancelled for too hot, too cold, too windy, someone cried, whatever.
  • motown13
    Options

So are you going to follow up on this?
    What's your plan of action here?

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just curious...

No plan of action. I wast just stating my concerns for the girl.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I just want to add, that it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got me as far as it did in softball, and it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got my brother a full ride to UNLV for football, or that got my cousin a full ride to ASU for football. There are kids who are athletes, and there are kids who are not... The athletes, the ones who want to go far, will not get that far with soft and gentl;e coaching. Athletes need to be pushed, not patted. If my girls mess up on the field, I EXPECT their coach to make a big deal to them. My girls have goals, and soft and gentle coaching will not help them reach their goals. My girls are not allowed to cry on the field, in fact, one took a pitch to the side of her knee cap, she dropped. She got up, smiled and nodded to her coach, and jogged down to first. She was fine. Had I made a big deal, and babied her, she would have cried and milked it. Kids are tougher than yu think. They are stronger than you think. My other daughter is a catcher and believe me, I make it known when her pop up to throw down to 2nd isnt fast or strong enough; if it happens in a game, it only happens once. These girls are athletes, let them be athletes. You dont see NFL moms running down yelling at the coaches for being mean to their sons. The kids will benefit from tough coaching!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Without being there, it is kind of hard to form a full opinion, but if the coach sent her home, and that many of the other parents were upset by it, it is pretty likely that she was going well beyond acceptable pushing for her child during the game.

This... I have never once heard of a crowd chanting "Lighten Up" to a coach. It made me laugh to imagine it in my head though.