VOLUNTEER girls coach was fired last night.

Options

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    . travel ball coaches, high school coaches, and college coaches would make that mom look like mary poppins

Well, since you didn't see her, you don't know how bad it was....

And I was a college athlete in 3 sports, and NEVER saw a coach yell like that woman did. I also played professional softball in the 1980's.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just want to add, that it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got me as far as it did in softball, and it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got my brother a full ride to UNLV for football, or that got my cousin a full ride to ASU for football. There are kids who are athletes, and there are kids who are not... The athletes, the ones who want to go far, will not get that far with soft and gentl;e coaching. Athletes need to be pushed, not patted. If my girls mess up on the field, I EXPECT their coach to make a big deal to them. My girls have goals, and soft and gentle coaching will not help them reach their goals. My girls are not allowed to cry on the field, in fact, one took a pitch to the side of her knee cap, she dropped. She got up, smiled and nodded to her coach, and jogged down to first. She was fine. Had I made a big deal, and babied her, she would have cried and milked it. Kids are tougher than yu think. They are stronger than you think. My other daughter is a catcher and believe me, I make it known when her pop up to throw down to 2nd isnt fast or strong enough; if it happens in a game, it only happens once. These girls are athletes, let them be athletes. You dont see NFL moms running down yelling at the coaches for being mean to their sons. The kids will benefit from tough coaching!

I am pretty sure there is a middle ground between "soft and gentle" and frothing at the mouth yelling... but then again this is why I don't like sports and never have. It brings out the worst in people, not the best, and being "tough" becomes synonymous with "ignore all your emotions and play through pain until you pass out".
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Those that can - do. Those that can't - force their children to do it instead.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    . travel ball coaches, high school coaches, and college coaches would make that mom look like mary poppins

Well, since you didn't see her, you don't know how bad it was....

And I was a college athlete in 3 sports, and NEVER saw a coach yell like that woman did. I also played professional softball in the 1980's.

Well I did have coaches that bordered on abusive, and we did have softballs wizzed at us when we were not paying attention, and we did get yelled at, screamed at, and even cursed at... and none of us grew up to be serial killers. and although I didnt see how bad it was, if the police were not called, or cps was not called, then it must not have been TOO bad... unless your just turning your cheek to child abuse?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Well, then good for you... no sarcasm intended. But not everybody is you.

So are you going to follow up on this?
    What's your plan of action here?

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just curious...

No plan of action. I wast just stating my concerns for the girl.

Oh.
    That's nice of you.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I've seen some wacked out parents over the years, reliving their lost glory years through the child. Sad.
    Some go so far as to think the answer for the whole family relies on the child getting a scholarship or becoming a professional.
    My niece plays softball for Long Beach St. You should hear the families of the girls on the other team or even parents of her team mates when their girl doesn't play enough. Unreal.

Youtube is full of videos of these parents.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    P.M.S
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I abhor parents that take children's sports too seriously like that.

While it sounds like this parent / coach was excessive...how would you feel if the kid wanted and asked to be pushed that hard?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I just want to add, that it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got me as far as it did in softball, and it was NOT soft and gentle coaching that got my brother a full ride to UNLV for football, or that got my cousin a full ride to ASU for football. There are kids who are athletes, and there are kids who are not... The athletes, the ones who want to go far, will not get that far with soft and gentl;e coaching. Athletes need to be pushed, not patted. If my girls mess up on the field, I EXPECT their coach to make a big deal to them. My girls have goals, and soft and gentle coaching will not help them reach their goals. My girls are not allowed to cry on the field, in fact, one took a pitch to the side of her knee cap, she dropped. She got up, smiled and nodded to her coach, and jogged down to first. She was fine. Had I made a big deal, and babied her, she would have cried and milked it. Kids are tougher than yu think. They are stronger than you think. My other daughter is a catcher and believe me, I make it known when her pop up to throw down to 2nd isnt fast or strong enough; if it happens in a game, it only happens once. These girls are athletes, let them be athletes. You dont see NFL moms running down yelling at the coaches for being mean to their sons. The kids will benefit from tough coaching!

I am pretty sure there is a middle ground between "soft and gentle" and frothing at the mouth yelling... but then again this is why I don't like sports and never have. It brings out the worst in people, not the best, and being "tough" becomes synonymous with "ignore all your emotions and play through pain until you pass out".

mine have never passed out from pain... we ice when we get home :)
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

While it sounds like this parent / coach was excessive...how would you feel if the kid wanted and asked to be pushed that hard?

You think a 10 or 11 year old girl would ask to me embarrassed in front of her friends?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

funny you said that, we just found out who the allstar coach is going to be, so my catcher is turning down the request for her to be the catcher for the team. she sat at the dining room table last night and said, "hes not a good enough coach, hes not strict enough with his girls, i dont want to play for a team like that."
  • harvo
    Options

Sweeping generalization...as a previous coach and now an umpire this is not usually the case.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I sure hope she doesn't "take it out" on the poor girl.

I think that's a pretty far leap you're taking...

Some parents can become VERY competitive.
    I know that my dad was terrible about yelling at my sporting events. Only because he wanted me to BE THE BEST I CAN.
    I don't think it's a leap at all. If she's screaming at her in public, she's screaming at her in private.
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options

OMG, this is the BEST quote I've heard! :laugh: My husband is a rather elite basketball trainer and coaches travel teams. He has quite the time with some parents---basically said that same thing, along the lines of "they're mad they never got to be a starter. . ." etc.:grumble:
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Sweeping generalization...as a previous coach and now an umpire this is not usually the case.

You obviously don't live in my area of the country. . .
  • harvo
    Options

You think a 10 or 11 year old girl would ask to me embarrassed in front of her friends?

I helped my dad coach my sister, 10 years younger than I, and I had step kids that said they wanted to play college and made me take them to the ball field for extra practice. While I said fine that meant they had to follow my rules so they would get better. Every game had a post-game down load. During one game the oldest was asked to sacrifice bunt. Instead he bunted to the pitcher and they got the lead runner out. I then yelled across the field, "You did not do your job, you now owe me a run." He worked his butt off to score and pay back the run.

My sister played college softball and started all 4 years and has records at her school. The boys, I am not with their mother any longer, still invite me to their ball games and have thanked me for pushing them the way I did.

-Judge not lest ye be judged...
  • harvo
    Options
  • harvo
    Options

You obviously don't live in my area of the country. . .

not sure but I can promise I spend more time at parks at many levels and as bad as it may get or be this is the exception rather than the rule.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

I know that my dad was terrible about yelling at my sporting events. Only because he wanted me to BE THE BEST I CAN.
    I don't think it's a leap at all. If she's screaming at her in public, she's screaming at her in private.

My dad would yell things to/at me all the time at my sporting events.
    He would only yell at me at home if I deserved it.

OP is so sure that this is getting taken out on this girl at home, but yet is doing nothing but making a thread about it on the internet.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

My dad would yell things to/at me all the time at my sporting events.
    He would only yell at me at home if I deserved it.

OP is so sure that this is getting taken out on this girl at home, but yet is doing nothing but making a thread about it on the internet.

that was my point as well. if it was THAT bad, THAT horrible, THAT abusive... do something about it... otherwise, it was tough, maybe a little overboard coaching, but nothing that the kids cant handle...