How many grams of fiber do you eat on average?

Options
13»

Replies

• aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    40 to 50
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting much fiber at all- maybe 10-12g on a high veggie day. My carbs are low, under 30g. It is not important to me to get fiber.

HIgh fiber diets can significantly lower your risk for stroke and heart disease.

I wonder how that mechanism works, exactly. What's the connection between big poops and heart disease? :)

more likely it's frequency, not size that matters. more fiber, more frequent.
    it's waste, you don't want it decaying in your body for days and days.

Perhaps I should be more clear. What is the connection to something you eat to clean out your bowels to your heart?

And (the large) intestines is the place wastes are designed to sit, so it doesn't make sense that it's 'decaying' in your body for days and days.

Two types of fiber...soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber dissolves in water to form a gelatinous like material and helps to lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels. Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots, barley, fibrous berries like black berries and raspberries, etc. It is essentially the clean up crew in your arteries.

Insoluble fiber promotes the movement of waste through your digestive system and increases stool bulk and waste removal.

There are a host of other health benefits associated with adequate fiber intake.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Min of 35g high end of 120g
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options

Fiber4-25-2013_3-25-39_PM.png

Dayum!!
  • NoraisTreble
    NoraisTreble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very timely question, as I was wondering lately if one can get too much fiber. I am usually way over what MFP says, but I eat a lot of high fiber/low calorie foods. The "side effects" are a source of humor for my husband (especially when they wake him in the middle of the night), but high fiber foods fill me up and I feel great!
  • suzieqsmart
    Options
    Usually around 40+

I have fruit and veg for breakfast, a big salad for lunch, usually a fruit and plain greek yogurt (with bran buds added) for a snack, and then whatever veggies I have for supper along with some apricots, dates, or figs for an evening snack.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    50-60
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I get anywhere from 40 to 60 without supplementing.

Sometimes I use a psyllium husk supplement to make a simple pudding, because it's delicious.

I am WAY less gassy now than when my diet was not as healthy (and therefore lower fiber). Seriously, just ask my roommates...
  • alancheng
    alancheng Posts: 12
    Options
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Usually 20+, I aim for about 25, and today I got 41 :)

I need more really, I keep meaning to add oatbran to my smoothies
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Average is about 30--occasionally as low as 25, and often as high as 40 or 50. I have an outlier day of 70 g :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Chief sources of fiber in my diet:

Whole grain rye bread (12 g per serving)
    Berries (4-6 g per serving)
    Avocado (varies, 6 or so g)
    Legumes (split peas and lentils especially; 21 g per serving of my lentil soup)
    Tubers (carrots, turnips, beets) are fairly high in fiber compared to other vegetables
    Nuts like almonds are also big