Need advice to get rid of lower belly fat...

Options
124»

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I find it shocking that people still don't understand that you cannot spot reduce.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I get so confused with all the contradictory advice and results. Calories to lift, no calories to lose fat. Cardio to lose weight. Less cardio when lifting. I'll never figure all this out. All I know is this: I've eaten 300-400 under TDEE (all allow ed by MFP for health), have done kettlebell, treadmill, circuit training, lifting dumbbells, Nike Training Center, 30 Day Shred...alternating once or twice a week according to what hurt less or my mood. My goal is to keep mixing it up, keep repeating just enough, not get bored, and keep going, pushing muscles three days a week, pushing cardio three days a week.

Four months later, I've lost about five inches in my waist (naval measure), four in the smallest part of my waist, a couple off my hips, some off my thighs, and I've gained some in my calves, quads, and biceps. Whatever that means, my pants are falling off, and my belly is looking better. I'm not at model status, but I'm doing what I can, and I'm going to keep doing something to try to figure out the rest. LOL

I've had three kids, my oldest is 16, and it just takes a while for hormones to adjust that created all that elasticity. It takes a while to get your body back. My first pregnancy, I started at110 pounds, was 5'3", and he wasborn 9 pounds 6 ounces. I hear ya. It was a tough pregnancy. I looked like I was going to explode, and I nearly did. LOL I started to recover, had another. Started to recover, had another. So, ten years later, I bicyled, lost a ton of fat, got down to a size 4, and wasn't all that happy with my upper body still...little tone. This time around, I'm trying more of a total approach, not just doing a ton of cardio. I'm cross training enough so that if I get an injury, I can keep going. If I need to slow on cardio, I can still lift or do circuit training.

As a mom and as a woman growing older, I want to stay more balanced and more active, and just keep doing what it takes, exercising what doesn't hurt. LOL And...it seems to be creating a more balanced me. Hope that helps in some way. My three inch belly overhang is down to about .5 inches after these four months. So, it does work...just taking a holistic approach. I started at Christmas with just a commitment to walk 15 minutes a day, no matter what. No need to sweat, wash my hair, or change clothes. And that grew into a bit more, a bit more, and a bit more until I was more in shape. Just start with something small, and keep building as grace allows.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I get so confused with all the contradictory advice and results. Calories to lift, no calories to lose fat. Cardio to lose weight. Less cardio when lifting. I'll never figure all this out. All I know is this: I've eaten 300-400 under TDEE (all allow ed by MFP for health), have done kettlebell, treadmill, circuit training, lifting dumbbells, Nike Training Center, 30 Day Shred...alternating once or twice a week according to what hurt less or my mood. My goal is to keep mixing it up, keep repeating just enough, not get bored, and keep going, pushing muscles three days a week, pushing cardio three days a week.

Four months later, I've lost about five inches in my waist (naval measure), four in the smallest part of my waist, a couple off my hips, some off my thighs, and I've gained some in my calves, quads, and biceps. Whatever that means, my pants are falling off, and my belly is looking better. I'm not at model status, but I'm doing what I can, and I'm going to keep doing something to try to figure out the rest. LOL

I've had three kids, my oldest is 16, and it just takes a while for hormones to adjust that created all that elasticity. It takes a while to get your body back. My first pregnancy, I started at110 pounds, was 5'3", and he wasborn 9 pounds 6 ounces. I hear ya. It was a tough pregnancy. I looked like I was going to explode, and I nearly did. LOL I started to recover, had another. Started to recover, had another. So, ten years later, I bicyled, lost a ton of fat, got down to a size 4, and wasn't all that happy with my upper body still...little tone. This time around, I'm trying more of a total approach, not just doing a ton of cardio. I'm cross training enough so that if I get an injury, I can keep going. If I need to slow on cardio, I can still lift or do circuit training.

As a mom and as a woman growing older, I want to stay more balanced and more active, and just keep doing what it takes, exercising what doesn't hurt. LOL And...it seems to be creating a more balanced me. Hope that helps in some way. My three inch belly overhang is down to about .5 inches after these four months. So, it does work...just taking a holistic approach. I started at Christmas with just a commitment to walk 15 minutes a day, no matter what. No need to sweat, wash my hair, or change clothes. And that grew into a bit more, a bit more, and a bit more until I was more in shape. Just start with something small, and keep building as grace allows.

The nice thing about your method, is that you're getting some of everything :). There is NOTHING wrong with that, and for sedentary people with desk jobs or no job at all...it's a great way to go about it. You're triggering your body to shed weight with your deficit, improving the health of your heart and lungs, increasing your endurance, and getting enough of a strength training workout in to hopefully maintain the muscle you have and target the fat.

The best part though, is that it's working for you!

Just remember that all the same rules apply. The cardio isn't helping you lose fat or maintain muscle, the strength training isn't helping your heart and lungs much nor helping you measurably with your deficit, and the deficit is only helping you specifically with weight loss. In combination however, it's a very well rounded approach :).

...well done!

Edited to catch your edits!
  • jcosta123
    jcosta123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise fat away. so stop with pointless ab exercises and don't listen to people who suggest ab exercises.

count calories, balance macros and do full body compound exercises. the fat will come off where genetics decides it to.

THIS
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

The nice thing about your method, is that you're getting some of everything :). There is NOTHING wrong with that, and for sedentary people with desk jobs or no job at all...it's a great way to go about it. You're triggering your body to shed weight with your deficit, improving the health of your heart and lungs, increasing your endurance, and getting enough of a strength training workout in to hopefully maintain the muscle you have and target the fat.

The best part though, is that it's working for you!

Just remember that all the same rules apply. The cardio isn't helping you lose fat or maintain muscle, the strength training isn't helping your heart and lungs much nor helping you measurably with your deficit, and the deficit is only helping you specifically with weight loss. In combination however, it's a very well rounded approach :).

...well done!

Edited to catch your edits!

Well, that actually makes some sense...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise fat away. so stop with pointless ab exercises and don't listen to people who suggest ab exercises.

count calories, balance macros and do full body compound exercises. the fat will come off where genetics decides it to.

I think exercise does get rid of fat and a combination of eating healthy and clean. But, dont stop doing your ab exercises because when the weight comes off you will have nice abs to show for it or at least a nice strong core.
    Exercise burns calories. You can eat clean and healthy, but without a calorie deficit, fat loss isn't going to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    To get rid of the fat, A CALORIE DEFICIT is the only way. Exercise builds muscle, but fat reduction is done in the kitchen. If you want good toning exercises for lower abs, I love hanging leg raises and V-ups :)

Fixed it. Clean eating does nothing... plenty of people lose fat eating non "clean" foods. All you need is a calorie deficit.

To OP:
    Eat under your calorie goal.

Touche :P I guess I phrased that badly. Really one could eat like crap, but as long as someone is at a calorie deficit, they'll lose weight. I just recommended clean eating because fruit, vegetables, and clean foods in general are more filling and lower in calories than junk food; plus they provide vital nutrients to keep the body energized and healthy, otherwise you'd feel tired and like the crap you eat. Pardon my odd sentence. You're right
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Try the body wraps. It's a body contouring product that helps you lose inches. You'll see results in as little as 45 mins. I used this product to get rid of my pouch after having a baby. It also helps with cellulite and stretch marks

The website is healthydeals.myitworks.com. Email is healthydealwraps@gmail.com.
    Please don't spout BS on a thread that has more than enough correct information. It's crap like this that confuses people about how the body really works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

This.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Try the body wraps. It's a body contouring product that helps you lose inches. You'll see results in as little as 45 mins. I used this product to get rid of my pouch after having a baby. It also helps with cellulite and stretch marks

The website is healthydeals.myitworks.com. Email is healthydealwraps@gmail.com.

What?
    You can't be serious.
  • mashyanne
    mashyanne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    U luk amzing!!
  • jaishar1985
    jaishar1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As far as building lower belly muscle, prone jackknifes [jackknives?] (on a swiss ball) are great

pronejackknife.jpg

How many do you recommend doing a day? And how long before you seen results thanks in advance.
  • Yesiwuzhere
    Yesiwuzhere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi where did you get your weight loss ticker that is very cute! would you like to share where you got it from I would like one of my fitness page thank you
  • demis72
    demis72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diet & Cardio
  • ChudyByk
    Options
    To overcome the lower belly you have to start running like athletes An athlete has to take care of his fitness, To get more tips for running and staying fit you should visit www.chudybyk.pl to know the precautions before starting a athlete game.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Also have your doctor check for abdominal muscle separation. It's not rare with c-sections and can make it tender for longer and can make toning nigh on impossible.
  • Naz212014
    Options
    I think lower belly fat is one of the hardest things to get rid of. However, its not impossible. My Fitness pal has really helped me shape up. Right amount of calories (suggested by myfitness pal), reverse crunches, spinning, and cardio ( I run 45minutes and 5km a day on the treadmill). ALSO, positivity will go a long way too :)