Is it wrong - McDonalds 250 calorie Egg McMuffin

Replies

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:
    Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, wheat gluten, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, calcium citrate, yellow corn flour, corn meal, rice flour, barley malt, artificial flavors, natural flavors (botanical source), dough conditioners (ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, datem, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium peroxide), calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), soy lecithin. Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Egg:
    USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Pasteurized Process American Cheese:
    Milk, water, milkfat, cheese culture, sodium citrate, salt, citric acid, sorbic acid (preservative), sodium phosphate, artificial color, lactic acid, acetic acid, enzymes, soy lecithin (added for slice separation).

Canadian Style Bacon:
    Pork, water, sugar, salt, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, natural flavor (vegetable), sodium diacetate and sodium nitrite (preservatives).

Liquid Margarine:
    Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

This list is over 50 ingredients long!

Here are the nutritional facts for one Egg McMuffin:

300 calories, 12 g fat, 30 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber, 820 mg sodium,

THAT'S A LOT OF SODIUM!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,034 Member
    tumblr_m6wrh968Fw1rsozlwo1_400.gif
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    I'm talking to people on a Fitness board about not eating food that is highly contradictory to what they SEEM to be trying to accomplish, which is health. I would like to think that most of them are not alcoholics so unless they're binge drinking, alcohol is not that bad for you. Yes, in moderation. Fast foods contain chemicals that most people are addicted to like sodium and high fructose corn syrup (which is in EVERY ketchup packet,) that wind up putting you back on the fat wagon crying about how THIS time, you'll KEEP it off. Convenience foods are why this country is the number 2 fattest country in the world. If you want a snack, get REAL chocolate from the grocery store or make gourmet burgers at home the size of your head that have no preservatives in them. Anyway, I'm done arguing here.

lighten-up-francis-o.gif
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    I'm talking to people on a Fitness board about not eating food that is highly contradictory to what they SEEM to be trying to accomplish, which is health. I would like to think that most of them are not alcoholics so unless they're binge drinking, alcohol is not that bad for you. Yes, in moderation. Fast foods contain chemicals that most people are addicted to like sodium and high fructose corn syrup (which is in EVERY ketchup packet,) that wind up putting you back on the fat wagon crying about how THIS time, you'll KEEP it off. Convenience foods are why this country is the number 2 fattest country in the world. If you want a snack, get REAL chocolate from the grocery store or make gourmet burgers at home the size of your head that have no preservatives in them. Anyway, I'm done arguing here.

The attitude that you can't have anything "bad" for you is what causes so many people to cave and fall back into old patterns, so telling people they can have a freaking egg mcmuffin for breakfast every day if they want is not contradictory at all. It's helpful. Keep the rest of your diet in check and yeah, it's actually okay to have a treat sometimes, once a day even if you want. Chemicals are in everything, even apples. People get fat because they eat mindlessly. They could eat 4000 calories of organic potatoes every day and they'd still be fat, but they'd be even more miserable that way. If I want to have ice cream every day I will, because I CAN and still stay fit and healthy. My bloodwork is fine and I do eat fast food occasionally. There is nothing wrong with it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,034 Member
    double post, oops
  • OMGeeeHorses
    tumblr_m6wrh968Fw1rsozlwo1_400.gif

LMFAO
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    What you are getting in that sandwich has zero nutritional value and is as good as eating paper or plastic with some ketchup on it for your body. Your stomach will feel full but you will not gain a single iota of anything your body needs from that sandwich or anything else on a fast food menu. You will be filling your stomach and starving your body at the same time

Except not really though.

Ummmm last I checked it does contain nutritional value so your point is invalid there.

What value? Sodium and protein? Did you know that McDonald's beef cannot legally be called beef because it's mostly pink slime? What kind of nutritional value does pink slime have? I'd actually be interested to know. The fish sandwich is 18% cholestoral because it's Pollock, which has nearly nothing nutritional except for the whole 1% protein you get from it.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/31/10282876-mcdonalds-drops-use-of-gooey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat?lite

Your argument is out of date as of August 2011.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    What you are getting in that sandwich has zero nutritional value and is as good as eating paper or plastic with some ketchup on it for your body. Your stomach will feel full but you will not gain a single iota of anything your body needs from that sandwich or anything else on a fast food menu. You will be filling your stomach and starving your body at the same time

Ummmm last I checked it does contain nutritional value so your point is invalid there.

What value? Sodium and protein? Did you know that McDonald's beef cannot legally be called beef because it's mostly pink slime? What kind of nutritional value does pink slime have? I'd actually be interested to know. The fish sandwich is 18% cholestoral because it's Pollock, which has nearly nothing nutritional except for the whole 1% protein you get from it.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/31/10282876-mcdonalds-drops-use-of-gooey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat?lite

Your argument is out of date as of August 2011.

Oh. And it legally CAN be called beef, even with the slime. You've probably got some pink slime of your own at home.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/70-percent-of-ground-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:
    Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, wheat gluten, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, calcium citrate, yellow corn flour, corn meal, rice flour, barley malt, artificial flavors, natural flavors (botanical source), dough conditioners (ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, datem, tricalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium peroxide), calcium propionate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), soy lecithin. Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Egg:
    USDA Grade A eggs, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid Margarine.

Milk, water, milkfat, cheese culture, sodium citrate, salt, citric acid, sorbic acid (preservative), sodium phosphate, artificial color, lactic acid, acetic acid, enzymes, soy lecithin (added for slice separation).

Canadian Style Bacon:
    Pork, water, sugar, salt, sodium lactate, sodium phosphate, natural flavor (vegetable), sodium diacetate and sodium nitrite (preservatives).

Liquid Margarine:
    Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

300 calories, 12 g fat, 30 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber, 820 mg sodium,

I'll take two
  • OMGeeeHorses
    THE EGG MCMUFFIN

English Muffin:

Egg:

Canadian Style Bacon:

Liquid Margarine:

I'll take two

you have fun with that :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    I guess I am more shocked people would put all these chemically list ingredients in there body more than anything. If you sat down and looked up every ingredient on that list and knew exactly what it could do to you and such. would you honestly still eat it? I am just wondering. I mean I guess I am just in denial that anyone could eat it because I make everything from scratch at home and know what goes in it and know I am not eating like rat poison of some sort.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    What do you have against rat poison? I take some every day to stay alive.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Not a beer, no, because beer is generally made from ingredients that don't contain Formaldehyde. Which, is what aspartame turns into when introduced to your body. Guess Formaldehyde might not be so bad in there once or twice, ya? I see your point. That diet coke is fine. I guess high cholestoral's okay too now and then. And 4000 grams of sodium in a single sandwich? Fine too.

I take it you know nothing about the metabolic pathway of ethanol then?

Are you not aware that ethanol is metabolised to acetaldehyde in the body (a member of the same chemical family - the aldehydes) with it's own little set of toxic party tricks.

You get MUCH more acetaldehyde from ethanol than you do formaldehyde from aspartame.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member

Pollock is from the same family of fish as cod and haddock. And because it occupies a similar place in the food web, it has a similar diet and nutritional profile.

Meat or flesh of any kind left in a place of low humidity will dry out rathe than decompose. That's what is relied upon when making jerky, ham, bresaola, gravy granules and mummies. So those stories of wonder and awe at what is an everyday occurrence just show how dim most people are. The reason why decomposition occurs with bodies is that there is additional moisture and bacteria in an intact corpse. And that in turn is why mummies would have their internal organs removed and the cavity packed with dry ingredients.

Bread will also only go mouldy if it remains moist for long enough for yeasts to grow. If it dries out, it doesn't go mouldy.

And fries won't go mouldy if they are dried out. Chips don't go mouldy in their packets either, because they are kept dry.

Other than that, I'm sure what you're saying makes perfect sense to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    I think its wrong, have you ever really searched online to what is in those things. I know in our own household if you do it you know its just the english muffin and the egg, but I worked for Mcdonalds and believe me nothing they serve should be eaten by any human. Its all chemical and non real food riddled. But that's me :)

But I do agree with your statement of eating, exercise and logging is awesome
    Please. Are you going to tell the eggs that they crack and scramble don't come from chickens? Elaborate.

While McDonald's isn't the best choice for many, emphatic lies shouldn't be spread.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Minus the egg its so full of chemical enhancements to keep it "fresh" longer than needed. look up the person who took a kids meal and had it for 9 years and it looked like she just bought it, do you really think anything else coming from something that produced that is Healthy or good for you in any way?

I choose not to eat it my choice. So whatever OP chooses is his choice as well and more power to him :)
    Biochemstry 101..............everything in the world is made of chemicals. Take ANY (even homemade) burger and fries and store them in any dry place and it will just sit there forever and look the same.
    As for anything coming from "produced" being healthy............we could start with vitamins. And there are shake companies (protein). Pizza is fine if you're within calorie limits.
    Clearly learning how to understand that eating "perfect" isn't the only avenue to good health.
    You do realize that LOTS of the best athletes (Olympics) eat McDonald's? Not by force either.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    I say you'r right eat what you like in moderation and fit it into your cals n macros! I love McD's but cant eat it anymore it makes me feel sick!!
  • ninerbuff
    I think its wrong, have you ever really searched online to what is in those things. I know in our own household if you do it you know its just the english muffin and the egg, but I worked for Mcdonalds and believe me nothing they serve should be eaten by any human. Its all chemical and non real food riddled. But that's me :)

But I do agree with your statement of eating, exercise and logging is awesome
    Please. Are you going to tell the eggs that they crack and scramble don't come from chickens? Elaborate.

While McDonald's isn't the best choice for many, emphatic lies shouldn't be spread.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you saying that food is 100% natural??
    No, I refuting against the statement that ALL of the food is chemically man made.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Siiiigh. Sometimes it is really hard to remain objective on these threads.

The bottom line is this: McDonald's food and food from restaurants like it are what got a lot of the people on MFP to 100+ pounds overweight. What you are getting in that sandwich has zero nutritional value and is as good as eating paper or plastic with some ketchup on it for your body. Your stomach will feel full but you will not gain a single iota of anything your body needs from that sandwich or anything else on a fast food menu. You will be filling your stomach and starving your body at the same time. That's how people get morbidly obese. If you wanna have one once in a very great while that's fine. No one is stopping you. But don't kid yourself putting a chemical infested burger in your mouth that it's healthy because it's only 250 calories. Your liver will not be pleased and eventually your "figure" will show the world what you've been snacking on.

The addiction this country has to sugar, preservatives and food that isn't actually food is nothing short of frustrating. I keep seeing people say "it's fine in moderation." If somebody handed you a bottle marked poison and told you it tastes like apple pie with a scoop of ice cream, would you go ahead and swig a few drops because you were told it wouldn't kill you? Probably not. This is the exact same thing.
    Just gotta say that it's ironic you speak of natural while sporting blue hair.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Just because eating fast food "in moderation" doesn't make you look fat, doesn't mean it isn't wreaking havoc on the "incredible human digestive system." Plenty of people who look fit and in shape have heart attacks and organ failure without warning because they workout double time and eat like dog *kitten*.
    It's opinion unless you have stats to back this up. You can also say that there are fit looking people who die from heart attacks and organ failure even though they do eat well. Genetics maybe?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Not a beer, no, because beer is generally made from ingredients that don't contain Formaldehyde. Which, is what aspartame turns into when introduced to your body. Guess Formaldehyde might not be so bad in there once or twice, ya?
    And so does eating citrus fruits. And tomatoes. Or didn't you know that?

IDEA Fitness member