How do I make my Pea Protein taste good?

Options
124»

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Check out proteinpow.com, lots of delicious recipes and you can search by type of protein powder.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is from a probiotic fear site; fear not, turtles really do not look like this, and posting rarely leads to consumption. If I were a shark then the chewing and spitting would occur. Thanks to rachmaree for the website; happy food consumption folks.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Pea protein in split pea soup; if it was posted earlier I missed it. Anyone? Tried and failed?

Too sweet, it was awful.

Could you add kale / collard greens/ etc or something with a bitter taste to even it out? Wait, I could try this....OMG rule #417; ask and answer thine own thought. Carry on folks.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You could just, you know, eat actual peas. They would taste much better and you wouldn't have trouble fitting in enough peas for the amount you're shooting for. The fact that that's half the recoommended minimum for daily protein and less than 1/3 what a small teenage girl would need if she was at all physically active is probably much more concerning.

As far as the vegan thing, the OP isn't a vegan...and is apparently pretty confused about veganism and how animals are raised. But then she isn't the only one. A cow, like other many other mammals generally designed to produce 1-2 young at a time, will easily produce much more milk than one calf could consume. Yes, dairy farming might lessen the cow/calf interaction, but it isn't taking milk away from that calf, who to the disappointment of the moral outragists everywhere, actually is fed cows milk and some additional supplements.

That said, if you aren't a gatherer or growing your own food stuffs by hand, you're contributing to equal death and suffering. The fish industry is by no means humane, especially when you consider that if the OP isn't paying filet mignon prices for her fish and shrimp, it's farm raised in China, without humane or even more than minimum health and contamination standards. Mechanized farming of vegetables in the U.S. sufficient to feed one person for a year actually kills a larger number of animals than the number of cattle on the largest beef cattle or dairy farm in the U.S. But, unfortunately for them, those animals are small and not nearly as adorable as a dairy cow....apparently....
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Pea protein in split pea soup; if it was posted earlier I missed it. Anyone? Tried and failed?

Horrifying. I gave up on pea protein despite really liking the nutrition profile. The only way I could take it in was in a smoothie with lots of fruit, and then it was still just passable.
  • egiggy73
    egiggy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just drank a shake with natureaid pea protein chocolate, and it tasted awesome...no grit. 20 g protein per serving 140 cal. Not hungry hrs later. Guess pea protein has gotten better since 2013?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    iWaffle wrote: »
    How do I make my Pea Protein taste good?

The hour grows late and kennie2 rides to Isengard seeking my counsel. For that is why you have come, is it not… my old friend? Join forces with whey protein for none can resist it's power.

tumblr_mfo03i9NDw1rs7ex4o3_250.gif

Not really, I try and stick to a vegan diet most of the time but I will occasionally have seafood when eating out and there arent any vegan options.

I gave you the chance of having tasty food, but you have elected the way of pain.

tumblr_mfo03i9NDw1rs7ex4o4_250.gif

tumblr_lr097eXwN51qiadpyo1_500.gif

man-clapping-gif-meme.jpg
  • patches212
    patches212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bake with it. Just substitute some of whatever you're using for flour with your protein (I've had success with up to half, it's all experimentation). Some protein powders never ever blend up nice in shakes or smoothies...

Had the same issue with hemp protein when I was trying to do the plant-based thing. I gave up on drinking it and baked it into banana and zucchini muffins.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have heard pea protien is nice in savory dishes, like soups.

I use a soy/pea protien supplement sometimes, its a premix in single serve cartons. "EAS advantEdge carb control" I get it at Walmart. Its a strong vanilla flavor, which is very sweet.

Maybe consider adding some vanilla extract/sweetener to your pea protien to get a similar effect?